Wiki Posts
Search

AC YYC - Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
AC YYC - Global Entry

We will be flying AC YYC-PDX which departs from the E gates. We have Global Entry and I have read (CATSA website) that we will be considered "Trusted Travelers" and can have simpler security screening (much like TSA Pre-Check) - shoes belt and light jackets on, etc. The website says the Trusted Traveler screening locations at YYC are at Checkpoint "Gate A" and Checkpoint "Gate C". What do they mean by gate A and C ? Is there a Trusted Traveler checkpoint that would allow us to get to the E gates? I wouldn't be concerned with any of this except that I have a handicap which makes it difficult and slow for me to take off and put on my shoes, so if I can avoid it I'd like to.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We will be flying AC YYC-PDX which departs from the E gates. We have Global Entry and I have read (CATSA website) that we will be considered "Trusted Travelers" and can have simpler security screening (much like TSA Pre-Check) - shoes belt and light jackets on, etc. The website says the Trusted Traveler screening locations at YYC are at Checkpoint "Gate A" and Checkpoint "Gate C". What do they mean by gate A and C ? Is there a Trusted Traveler checkpoint that would allow us to get to the E gates? I wouldn't be concerned with any of this except that I have a handicap which makes it difficult and slow for me to take off and put on my shoes, so if I can avoid it I'd like to.
No. You will get to the front of the line, but no different screening. This is the subject of much angst around here.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
No. You will get to the front of the line, but no different screening. This is the subject of much angst around here.
Very strange. Here's a link to the CATSA webpage that says NEXUS and Global Entry members are eligible for simplified screening.
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11

So, if I wanted to try it, what do they mean by Gate A and Gate C ? Where are those in relation to U.S. Customs which we must clear? And will we then be able to get to the E gates?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Very strange. Here's a link to the CATSA webpage that says NEXUS and Global Entry members are eligible for simplified screening.

So, if I wanted to try it, what do they mean by Gate A and Gate C ? Where are those in relation to U.S. Customs which we must clear? And will we then be able to get to the E gates?
"When Trusted Traveller screening lines are closed, Trusted Travellers receive front-of-the-line service in the queue but must follow regular divesting and screening procedures when using standard screening lines."

At YYC transborder, it's always closed
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"When Trusted Traveller screening lines are closed, Trusted Travellers receive front-of-the-line service in the queue but must follow regular divesting and screening procedures when using standard screening lines."

At YYC transborder, it's always closed
The joke that it already is.

Anamaniacs buggy cart! Meep meep!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE

A and C gates are the domestic gates, which do have a separated Nexus line. While you can clear at gates A and C using a separate Nexus line, you need to clear security again to transfer to the E gates, where it's just a "front-of-the line service." Either way, you'll need to go through the full thing including taking off shoes, take out electronics/liquids, at the E gates for any transborder flights. Feel free to write into CATSA to voice your opinion on the lousy setup and lack of a real Nexus line.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

1) Don't go to A, B, or C gates - those are for domestic, they are a long walk from the E gates to the US.

2) A&C does offer dedicated line-up (like TSA precheck) for domestic travel.

3) Go to E gate. As Rehoult says, you get the jump to the front of the security queue with Global Entry, but are doing the same security check as everyone else. Then at border control / immigration, you will have a separate line to use the Global Entry machines, and a separate immigration officer to speed through.

4) Usually during peak hours, the Global Entry front-of-line security lane is open.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
1) Don't go to A, B, or C gates - those are for domestic, they are a long walk from the E gates to the US.

2) A&C does offer dedicated line-up (like TSA precheck) for domestic travel.

3) Go to E gate. As Rehoult says, you get the jump to the front of the security queue with Global Entry, but are doing the same security check as everyone else. Then at border control / immigration, you will have a separate line to use the Global Entry machines, and a separate immigration officer to speed through.

4) Usually during peak hours, the Global Entry front-of-line security lane is open.
Thanks everyone. Is the Global Entry front-of-the line security lane clearly marked?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Thanks everyone. Is the Global Entry front-of-the line security lane clearly marked?
Yes.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
I would say anger rather than angst.

Moderately. It will have a GE logo along with NEXUS. Often they're also sending crew and other priority pax (J/status) to the same priority line, but sometimes they're separate. Either way, it will be to the left of the regular lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.