Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ - FCO - Business award without to many stupid scamcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:37 am
FB_
Original Poster

Programs: AP

Looking to book YYZ - FCO in business next August without to many stupid scamcharges

I need to understand what a valid route is.

I've found YYZ-LGA on AC then JFK-IST-FCO on Turkish but I'm not sure it can be booked like this.

Any other better products or airlines. I found Egypt air but I don't want to go through Cairo.

Thanks

FB
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:53 am

What does AP.com give you?

Whatever they show up are valid (if not grayed out)
YYZ-IST-FCO is valid too
YYZ-BRU-FCO, or many UA routes in US

Check out my signature thread too
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by FB_
Looking to book YYZ - FCO in business next August without to many stupid scamcharges

I've found YYZ-LGA on AC then JFK-IST-FCO on Turkish but I'm not sure it can be booked like this.

Any other better products or airlines. I found Egypt air but I don't want to go through Cairo.

Thanks

FB
You can also try YYZ/YTZ-YUL-ZRH-FCO on LX.

LX availability quite good 300 days out.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:12 am
FB_
Original Poster

The only thing ap.com gives me is AC across in economy then LH in business.

I've seen some various TP fights but they have $500.00 in surcharges.

Or I can go Marketfare for 938,000 points one way plus $980 in surcharges

This is why I've been searching for something through the US.

I'll take a look at your link, thanks for the info.

FB
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by FB_

Thanks

FB
If there is availability you can call in and get YYZ - LGA / JFK - IST - FCO booked. And pay the call centre fee
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:05 am
FB_
Original Poster

So I've found

YYZ - ORD - Air Canada (Business) on AP.com
ORD - FCO - on United (Business Saver Award) on United which does not come up on AP.com

Return dates are not yet searchable on United. Just wondering if I should book as one way and wait for return and book again as one way.

Is there any benefit to paying the change fee vs. 2 booking fees to make it a return trip vs. 2 one way tickets.

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
2 one way tickets = no free stopover
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by montezume
If there is availability you can call in and get YYZ - LGA / JFK - IST - FCO booked. And pay the call centre fee
Just to be clear though, you CAN'T do YYZ-EWR / JFK-IST. They count EWR separately.

Originally Posted by FB_
So I've found

YYZ - ORD - Air Canada (Business) on AP.com
ORD - FCO - on United (Business Saver Award) on United which does not come up on AP.com

Return dates are not yet searchable on United. Just wondering if I should book as one way and wait for return and book again as one way.

Is there any benefit to paying the change fee vs. 2 booking fees to make it a return trip vs. 2 one way tickets.

Thanks
Not sure how far you're looking out, but I thought that UA released space to itself before AP by like 15 days or so. I remember finding some things there and not being able to find them on AP.

LX out of YUL is worth a shot, TK from YYZ though from what I saw on the seat map the aircraft wasn't as good as some others.

Egyptair also doesn't serve booze if that's important to you.

You could try TAP, that might be worth a shot. Alternatively look for ANYTHING out of BOS. I found award space on every damn partner to/from Boston that I couldn't find to any other city. Getting TO BOS shouldn't be too bad, but getting home can be a bit tougher with only 1 option based on the ETA of the INTL flight to get back to YYZ, but of course you could overnight there by choice too. Worth a look for sure.

There's also SAS, I have a really hard time finding J space of any kinda on SAS, I've even had a hard time finding Y space, but the product looks nice in J if it's attainable. The short haul Y sucks though based on my 1 experience and the J to FCO would just be Euro J.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:46 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Called and the dates are not yet released. Said they should be in the system by Friday.

I'll try again then.

I'm not planning any stopovers so 2 one way's should work

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:13 am

Now fingers crossed that UA space is still there once it's loaded into AP.

If it is, great, book it right away.

If it's not, don't freak out. Others may have different experiences, but for me the UA space is so random. For a week all the INTL flights you want will be wide open. But no domestic/tb flights to get there. Then a month later neither is available. Then a week after that only the domestic flights are available. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had these issues many times.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Just to be clear though, you CAN'T do YYZ-EWR / JFK-IST. They count EWR separately.
Since when. Done it. Flew the route via EWR/JFK no problems.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:14 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Now fingers crossed that UA space is still there once it's loaded into AP.

If it is, great, book it right away.

If it's not, don't freak out. Others may have different experiences, but for me the UA space is so random. For a week all the INTL flights you want will be wide open. But no domestic/tb flights to get there. Then a month later neither is available. Then a week after that only the domestic flights are available. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had these issues many times.
Yup, it's loaded and gone even on UA. They do have several with euro connections though. Just considering our options with a possible stopover.

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Since when. Done it. Flew the route via EWR/JFK no problems.
News to me, last time I tried this the agent said it was a no-go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.