Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Cannot put my ae number on ticket I'm flying but booked using my child's ae points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Cannot put my ae number on ticket I'm flying but booked using my child's ae points?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Cannot put my ae number on ticket I'm flying but booked using my child's ae points?

In a booking using my child's ae points for me to fly, I called ae to add my ae number. They said it cannot be done.

The ae agent at first said my ae number is already on file. I explained it would be my child's number, not mine. She then kept saying I'm not eligible to accumulate points so it cannot be done. I told her I have ae infinite visa card and I can get the first checked bag free, priority boarding, lounge access, etc. I just needed her to put my ae number onto the booking because I'm the one flying, not my child. She kept saying I don't get anything and the system would not take it. I asked her to try anyway, she did something typing, then said have no status and I don't get any of those benefits.

I asked her to put my wife's ae number to another booking which was booked using another child's points, for her to fly. The agent just kept saying we are not eligible for any benefits. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said it wouldn't help. I said my wife has her own ae infinite visa card, she then put me on hold.

After more than 1/2 hr hold, a supervisor came on and said I have no status and we don't get any of those benefits because it's not booked using my points. She said she cannot add my ae number to the booking. She said sometimes people get sneaky and get their travel agent to add a united number on the file, but it will be taken off after audit. She said the system would not allow adding a second ae number and wouldn't even try.

So is it true they cannot add my ae number, because the booking was using my child's ae points?

I had done a booking for my wife before, and called in the add my wife's ae number to that booking before. So did something change?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Bolding mine

Originally Posted by yscleo
In a booking using my child's ae points for me to fly, I called ae to add my ae number. They said it cannot be done.

The ae agent at first said my ae number is already on file. I explained it would be my child's number, not mine. She then kept saying I'm not eligible to accumulate points so it cannot be done. I told her I have ae infinite visa card and I can get the first checked bag free, priority boarding, lounge access, etc. I just needed her to put my ae number onto the booking because I'm the one flying, not my child. She kept saying I don't get anything and the system would not take it. I asked her to try anyway, she did something typing, then said have no status and I don't get any of those benefits.

I asked her to put my wife's ae number to another booking which was booked using another child's points, for her to fly. The agent just kept saying we are not eligible for any benefits. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said it wouldn't help. I said my wife has her own ae infinite visa card, she then put me on hold.

After more than 1/2 hr hold, a supervisor came on and said I have no status and we don't get any of those benefits because it's not booked using my points. She said she cannot add my ae number to the booking. She said sometimes people get sneaky and get their travel agent to add a united number on the file, but it will be taken off after audit. She said the system would not allow adding a second ae number and wouldn't even try.

So is it true they cannot add my ae number, because the booking was using my child's ae points?

I had done a booking for my wife before, and called in the add my wife's ae number to that booking before. So did something change?

NOTE: I missed the TD VISA mention by OP, so the links I listed below may not cover cc benefits.
They may still be helpful for others.
IIRC, there was mention of this issue in other threads, specifically related to cc benefits.

-----

This problem keeps coming up despite promises made by AC a few years ago (See Ben Lipsey quote).

Some posts in this thread may help you.

Question: If booking Aeroplan award flight for someone else,do they get your status privileges?

If booking Aeroplan award flight for someone else,do they get your status privileges?

My experience is:
-It can only be done at the airport on the day of flight.
-Not all AC check-in agents or concierges know how to do this, which is both annoying and sad.
-it can't be done by Aeroplan agents over the phone

I believe there are some other AC FTers who can add the advice

EDIT TO ADD:

Also this thread (I included a screen shot from AC in my post). The discussion 2016-2017 is also worth the read as clearly, the problem still exists and AC has not found a way around it

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:31 am Reason: Add comment
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
According to this link, to avail yourself of the free checked bag, priority boarding, etc. your flight must be booked using your miles, not your child's.

https://www.aeroplan.com/TDCardInfinite.do
yscleo and 24left like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Op, if I'm reading your post correctly, you have no status with AC, correct? If you have no status, I don't think you'll be able to do what you hope to do.

However, if you do have status, then you can avail yourself of YOUR status benefits. Read 24left's post above mine.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
My wife and I have no AC status.

I seem to remember reading the T&C of TD and CIBC ae infinite cards before, and they did not say the award had to be redeemed by the person traveling. Now I do see it in the TD T&C listed. Hmm, we might be out of luck for the first checked bag then.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yscleo
My wife and I have no AC status.

I seem to remember reading the T&C of TD and CIBC ae infinite cards before, and they did not say the award had to be redeemed by the person traveling. Now I do see it in the TD T&C listed. Hmm, we might be out of luck for the first checked bag then.
I updated my reply to you with a note.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanRulez
According to this link, to avail yourself of the free checked bag, priority boarding, etc. your flight must be booked using your miles, not your child's.

https://www.aeroplan.com/TDCardInfinite.do
Thanks for posting the link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.