Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Edmonton mother upset AC sent 14-year-old across border in taxi to catch connection

Edmonton mother upset AC sent 14-year-old across border in taxi to catch connection

Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by vernonc
Oh god, these new stories are one a day.
That we know about.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Ah. First the mother was upset that her daughter had to share a room with strangers--when there weren't enough rooms available. Now the mother is upset that her daughter had to take a taxi to catch a connection.

Sorry. This mother is an entitled waste of everyone's time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...strangers.html
You didn't even bother reading the article, eh? This is referring to a male child experiencing IROPs in the US. The link you gave refers to a female child experiencing IROPs in the EU. Unless, just to make AC look bad, the mother somehow took her daughter to the US, got her a sex change, changed both of their names, and managed to select the exact flight that would be canceled,....
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pewpew
I can't articulate/figure out why, but I'm less okay with this than, say, an LGA-JFK cab. Also, I wonder how the taxi driver crossed the border. I doubt they regularly carry proof of citizenship?
It's a border city. Cabs and limousines cross the border often and drivers are aware of this.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Also my immediate reaction from reading the article was that this kid seemed like a savvy traveler. He also had the presence of mind to communicate in a mitigating fashion at the border knowing it could be an issue.
Shouldn't have been an issue. He flew into the U.S. so had to have the appropriate ID. I admire the young fellow's initiative because according to the story he hailed the cab himself and off he went. Good for him.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:29 am

damn that you do damn that you dont........
what if that flight was the last one and the airline is bashed for leaving a 14 year old at the airport overnight?!

border taxi and bus services are expected to ensure they have sufficient proof to be admissible (i.e. passport, PR card, visa etc), if they are deemed inadmissible either because of documents or due to background checks, the carrier is expected to drive them back. Failing to do so will result in arrest.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's a border city. Cabs and limousines cross the border often and drivers are aware of this.

Shouldn't have been an issue. He flew into the U.S. so had to have the appropriate ID. I admire the young fellow's initiative because according to the story he hailed the cab himself and off he went. Good for him.
Hmmm... OK, he got into the cab himself. But AC gave the voucher, so it wasn't his initiative to actually take a cab.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Hmmm... OK, he got into the cab himself. But AC gave the voucher, so it wasn't his initiative to actually take a cab.
It would appear that he did not randomly hail some cab. The Voucher/MCO clearly indicates a contracted taxi service - Metro Cab. As per their website:

"Metro Airport Transportation service in Detroit is available for pick up and drop off at all major Metro Detroit airports including Windsor Airport"

Obviously YQG is not unfamiliar or uncharted territory for this Company.
YYC009 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
So are we all in agreement yet that this was a non-story and that what AC and the passenger agreed to was a reasonable plan based on the circumstances?
Badenoch, pitz, The Lev and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: IHG Gold
The dude is mature enough to travel to Detroit for an acrobatic dance convention. He is therefore, in my opinion, mature enough to take a taxi.

He sounds more mature than the mother. I congratulate him on his savvy.
Badenoch, PB53x11, pitz and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:26 am

Everything turned out for the best. The kid is happy about his adventure. Mother should be boasting about his son's maturity and not posting about AC shortcomings. Shame on her.
YYC009 and RangerNS like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was the mother's choice to send her son without UM service and making arrangements to have him dropped off at an airport with nonstop service. Once the mother made that choice, the son is just a passenger and it is not for AC or the media to wade into the middle of a parent's judgment (which she apparently later regretted).

The taxi to YQG is approx. 30 miles and 45 minutes. It is a ride which is common and crossing the Detroit-Windsor border is routine. The passenger was apparently in phone contact with his mother and it was for her to forbid him from taking the taxi. Either she did not or he disregarded her direction. Once again, it is not for AC or the media to judge her decision-making or his obedience.

The passenger had made it through check-in, checkpoint and to the gate at DTW, so doing the same at YQG seems a fair task.

Who has "it in" for whom is not relevant. It is clear that the public has come to reason that the Canadian media can be played as a means to cause AC to cough up "compensatiion" for all manner of perceived evils. That ought to trouble CBC editorial people a great deal. But, it apparently does not as it "sells" to the public.

I credit AC and the 14 YOA for making all of this happen. The mother and CBC get a thumbs down for blaming their personal decision-making and lack of editorial discretion.
YYC009 and The Lev like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Someone from AC should have went with the Son
1. Why?
2. How many personnel do you think AC has lying around at DTW to service the 3 CRJ flights a day they have from that airport?

Originally Posted by vernonc
The difference is
1) the minor was delivered to the airport and made it pass security and was in a secure environment. Yes he was trusted to fly alone once safely passed security. Sending him in cab across the border is not the same thing as secure airports past security.
2) It appears they did this without consent from any parent/guardian.
3) The mother might have been happier if he was put up overnight but she was not given the option.
  1. How do you know that he made it past security (or that the people dropping him off waited until he was past security? All I can discern from the article is that "one of the parents at the convention dropped him off for his flight home at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport" and that "after checking in for his Air Canada flight connecting through Toronto, Jordan was told his flight was delayed and he would have to fly out of Windsor instead. Nowhere does it say that the parents who dropped him off hung around to ensure he got through security. "Even if he/they did, you seem to be assuming that nothing bad can ever happen to a kid on the other side of security.
  2. Is this consent required?
  3. May be true. Kid got home on his regularly scheduled flight. Parents don't always know best (especially from afar). Shrug.

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 9, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Sounds like the kid was happy to take the taxi. AC offered a proactive solution to not have the kid get stuck at YYZ. Seems like the mother is making much ado of nothing here.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Air Canada's solution is to provide one of its useless discounts.
Please send me your "useless" discount codes, I will be happy to dispose of them for you. Same for anyone else on the board.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:00 pm

Shouldn't we merge this thread into this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...strangers.html

and just have one mega "14 year old on AC" thread.

What would happen if AC sent a 14 year old across a border to share a room with another 14 yo?

The mind boggles.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Air Canada's solution is to provide one of its useless discounts
Actually, it looks to me like Air Canada's solution was to get this teenager on another flight to make the connection in YYZ. The discount is a bonus.
pitz likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYC009
So are we all in agreement yet that this was a non-story and that what AC and the passenger agreed to was a reasonable plan based on the circumstances?
Yep. Pretty much.

I can kind of see the kid being a bit embarrassed of his mom!

(But then again, the mom raised him, so a bit paradoxical )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.