Wiki Posts
Search

Dumping Air Canada for Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
Dumping Air Canada for Delta?

Lately, I had to book Delta Air due to unavailability of Air Canada. For my experience, I really enjoyed Delta and am seriously considering switching to Delta now that they share points with Westjet. Is there anyone on this list that has experience with this? I'd love to hear more from you.

Lounge access is nice, but since I don't drink and mostly travel within NA, it's really not worth all that much. I don't mind YYZ all that much, especially since both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have download functionality allowing me to find a corner to sit with my headphones on. I can go over a week without checking anything in, so a lot of status privileges are really not all that useful (except for upgrades, those are nice).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:07 pm

I switched from Air Canada to Delta years ago and I have never loved an airline more than I do Delta. I travel a lot and Delta has never failed to provide good service.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
From what I have read over the years, the service is great, IRROPS are handled very well.

Using your points however is more of a challenge
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
From what I have read over the years, the service is great, IRROPS are handled very well.

Using your points however is more of a challenge
I use my points (Skymiles) and no problems at all.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
I started flying Delta a lot about 2 years ago. Made silver in the first year and still maintained AC SE. What did I love: pricing (you could get business class for AC economy prices), service and schedule (from MSP).

But, I live in YXE so two flights to MSP a day really doesn't serve me well. I haven't flown delta once this year. But if I lived in YYZ where Delta has a decent schedule, they would likely be my airline of choice.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I maintain status on DL as well as AC. I just take the most convenient route to where I am going. UDU is great. The personal service from everyone I touch is great.

And their IT works. The precheck fiasco a couple of weeks ago put me back on them for the rest of the year as I already got my SE status for next year.

That is 15k AQD that would have gone to AC. But frankly they do not care if their web site will not let me buy a ticket or simply print precheck on a BP.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I am honestly really disappointed at Air Canada and have been very pleasantly surprised at Delta. I didn't think a major US airline could have half decent service. I am sure Delta has ...... rules to screw passengers, but so far I've found them to be significantly better than AC and am very seriously considering a switch.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I began shifting my travel spend from AC to Delta and Westjet about five years ago, and I remain extremely happy with that decision.

I like the fact I can enjoy frequent upgrades on Delta (particularly flying ex-YYZ) with no R-Games or transparency silliness or co-pay schemes like I always faced on AC. I definitely like that the flights generally depart and arrive on time (and no, AC, within a half-hour of schedule is not "on time"). I appreciate the clean airplanes, and I like that Delta staff almost universally treat me like a valued customer, and not like some annoying piece of human freight. Ditto for the wonderful staff at Westjet.

Delta lounges absolutely blow the MLL out of the water, in terms of service, furnishings, food and cleanliness. It's not even up for discussion - even the oldest, stodgiest Skylounge trumps the MLL in every imaginable way.

I like being able to call in for help and having someone actually answer the damn phone, instead of always getting that "unusually high call volumes" nonsense recording. And I like that when IRROPS inevitably happen, between Delta and Westjet I have multitude options available.

Since I'm the one paying the freight on my travel (no expense account here) I also like that Delta and Westjet are consistently less expensive than AC on many routes. There have been occasions on my transborder flights where I flew in J on Delta for the same cost as an AC Flex fare.

Mostly, I really like the nice service, and how Delta and Westjet staff consistently go out of their way to be nice to me.

I know many of the AC faithful love to bash Delta (and Westjet) but I am happy to give them my travel spend. When I do fly on AC (which isn't often any more) I'm usually taken back by the dirty planes and shoddy service. Let's just say I'm glad it's not my normal routine.
FromageToaster likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I am rather impressed by the reasonable assessments offered of Delta. I credit SkyMiles, although I fly AF/KLM far more than DL. It's no secret I still love the airline, and with the large investments in progress it can only improve.

However, the downside is that the redemption opportunities are awful. Yes, one can get Y seats domestic. However, I purchase and fly in J and want to redeem in J. On my TPACs, all that is available at reasonable points are flights on China Eastern. Sorry to say but flights to SIN or BKK on AF/BKK are not worth 300K. However, I do like the option of being able to use $$ and points. Sadly, such options are not available on my routes. I would laud the small surcharges, like $72 for a TPAC redemption vs $1200+ with Aeroplan, but if there is no availability, what's the benefit? I won't complain about the higher redemption with Skymiles because the low/minimal surcharges and fees offset this.

Aeroplan is great for people who redeem Y because the availability is there.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

My hatred for Air Canada is multiplied by the fact that I few 8x more in AC than on Delta, but I have only 3x more qualifying points. If I took all those flights on Delta not only would I have saved money, but I'd have also qualified for Delta Gold.

I'll only get Silver if I get matched and I am not sure if that's worth it. I might take my next international trip on AC to get to 50K so I can get Delta to match Gold.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What started as unavailability of AC has turned into hatred
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by acysb87
What started as unavailability of AC has turned into hatred
Respectfully disagree.

I find this to be a very pleasant thread. More importantly, there are two things in this thread that stand out:

1. People have professed love for an airline, Delta.

2. There is none of that UA-AC hate-fest that for so long filled this forum. It was tiresome and annoying.

Of the US3 on FT, DL has the least bombastic and aggressive posters, they have fun threads and that's a nice thing.

Either way, for every one person on AC FT who may have status on AC and another airline and alliance, there are a few people thinking about it.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta is a great airline. Clean planes, Starbucks coffee, great variety of free snacks, excellent lounges with truly caring staff to take care of you! Amex Plat gets me access to Sky Clubs which have far better food than MLLs. I too have bought some reasonably priced front cabin flights on Delta.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Best move you could make given all the negative reports AC has been receiving.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I like DL a lot for the following reasons, although I have only flown them TB/US domestic and on narrowbodies.
  • J pricing is quite reasonable. Still a substantial premium to Y, but DL sells restricted J fares with very high cancellation penalties etc for good prices. I'm willing to trade that flexibility for the reduced fare.
  • The website and app are top-notch. UA and AA's are also way ahead of AC's, but DL's is light years better. Booking flights, checking balances, managing bookings, etc, all done with one sign-in through the app. And it has features like sending you an alert the moment your bag gets loaded on the plane. Or instantly crediting missing SkyMiles after entering the request online.
  • Plane interiors have all been refreshed quite recently. The 320 fleet has the Airbus pivot bins, which are fantastic.
  • OTP is good. Part of that is because the block times are padded, but I'm okay with that.
  • Customer service has pretty much always been good. I'm always in paid J, but no status.
  • DL SCs are great. Try the mac and cheese that SEA has at dinnertime. It's fantastic. I would be happy to be served that in a restaurant outside an airport. Puts to shame the garbage that passes for food in the MLLs.

The SkyMiles aren't worth much, and that's a disadvantage, but the revenue fares are usually quite reasonable, so I'm not all that fussed about it.

No ability to comment on FF status benefits such as upgrades.

If DL had a bit better service from YYC, I would mostly ditch AC in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.