Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best late SE/100K push

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

best late SE/100K push

I've been a SE/100K member for the last 10 years now, but this year I had a 'nice' project where I was able to work remotely every other week. Good for the home life, but bad for my status qualifications.
I am currently sitting at 50 segments and about 55,000 miles. I am way over the AQD, so that part is fine.
My remaining flights for the year is weekly to Eastern Texas area from Toronto. I was doing YYZ-DFW direct, but if I switch to United and fly into Shreveport through Houston, I'll get 4 segments per week. I have probable another 10 weeks of travel. So that gets me another 40 segments to 90.

I have a hard stop on travel by the week of Dec 11th. I am going on an overseas mini-rtw trip through aeroplan miles.

So between now and Dec 11th, what is the best and most efficient way to get 45 segments, if I am doing weekly to texas area probably till first week of December, and off 1 week during the US thanksgiving.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
I'd consider YYZ-DXB round trips in PE. You'll get close to 20k AQM per round trip, and they can be had for less than 2k all-in.

The turn-around time in DXB is long enough for you to check in and come right back.
yyclady likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If you don't mind the grind, you could do UA and go via ORD or IAD then IAH and on to Shreveport to give you three segments in each direction (or 3 one way and 2 the other). That would give you 50-60 segments and put you over the top.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
I'd consider YYZ-DXB round trips in PE. You'll get close to 20k AQM per round trip, and they can be had for less than 2k all-in.

The turn-around time in DXB is long enough for you to check in and come right back.
But that's $2k more than rerouting work trips
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:22 pm

play EYW?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
How about a few quick RT YYZ to Montreal or New York for a weekend get away? 5 segments shouldn't be hard to muster; just take short trips. Quebec City? Vancouver if you want more miles.

I would stay away from connecting at ORD or in US with so many potential delays / connection issues.

OP is gunning for segments not miles.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: TK *G
If at the end of the year, 5 segments are all you need, you can do YYZ-YUL-YQB RT for about $350, and it can be done in one day. Or if you do EYW, you can easily get one segment for under $50.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:38 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Commie
So between now and Dec 11th, what is the best and most efficient way to get 45 segments, if I am doing weekly to texas area probably till first week of December, and off 1 week during the US thanksgiving.
Ugh! I hate qualifying based on segments. Did that once.

Sounds like some solid suggestions here, but you have my sympathies. Enjoy that RTW!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the insights. Looks like I'll need to do a segment run the 1st week of December. I'll need 5-6 segments I would think.
Probably do a run to Edmonton, stay a night to catch my Oilers play.

Question on Tango fares, I know they only get 25% miles, but do they qualify for segments?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by Commie
thanks for all the insights. Looks like I'll need to do a segment run the 1st week of December. I'll need 5-6 segments I would think.
Probably do a run to Edmonton, stay a night to catch my Oilers play.

Question on Tango fares, I know they only get 25% miles, but do they qualify for segments?
Yes, would count as a segment. But ssshh don't give them ideas for the next devaluation...imagine tango fares are 1/2 segments ugh
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Ugh! I hate qualifying based on segments. Did that once.
It's possible not to?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by RangerNS
It's possible not to?
I hit SE100 in early August with 71 segments, so definitely doable on AQM&AQD alone.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by songsc
If at the end of the year, 5 segments are all you need, you can do YYZ-YUL-YQB RT for about $350, and it can be done in one day. Or if you do EYW, you can easily get one segment for under $50.
doesn't that add up to 4 segments? unless you add another in one direction or do it twice (ending up with more than 5)?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by acse17
I hit SE100 in early August with 71 segments, so definitely doable on AQM&AQD alone.
It's also possible to qualify just by breathing on your own on January 1.
acse17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.