Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Flights Fuelled by Freshii as 1st Oct. 2017

Air Canada Flights Fuelled by Freshii as 1st Oct. 2017

Old Sep 6, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Oh dear. I may be in minority here but I greatly dislike Freshii - along with a friend at work we won't even eat it when it's free. Just never found anything there I enjoy (drinks excluded).

Not that cheap either.
Originally Posted by AskTravis View Post
While it might be fresh, Freshii is definitely not low calorie... they were strongly opposed to the new regulations about posting of calories in chains in Ontario.

I can't find the other article I am thinking of, but here is a bit of it:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/freshi...-law-1.4100200

ps, not saying their stance is wrong - "Count nutrients, not calories" is a great way to look at take out meals - but they are not 100% clean on what is hidden in their so-called healthy bowls.
To be clear, Freshii is not my favourite salad / healthy fast food / fast casual option when on the ground either. In fact, when I'm in the PATH in Toronto, it doesn't even crack my top 10. That being said, I'd still take it any day over AC's current "healthy fare", even in J, which is often high on sodium, carbs, and / or fat.
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by AskTravis View Post
While it might be fresh, Freshii is definitely not low calorie... they were strongly opposed to the new regulations about posting of calories in chains in Ontario.

I can't find the other article I am thinking of, but here is a bit of it:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/freshi...-law-1.4100200

ps, not saying their stance is wrong - "Count nutrients, not calories" is a great way to look at take out meals - but they are not 100% clean on what is hidden in their so-called healthy bowls.
Ugh, this drives me nuts. It certainly matters what calories you are eating, and 800 calories of quinoa and avocado and 800 calories of chocolate bars are not the same thing when it comes to the effects on your body, which I am sure is Freshiis point. None the less, weight loss is a pretty simple equation, and if you are pouring 4000 calories a day of quinoa and avocado in to your body you are not going to be losing weight unless you happen to be training for an Ironman at the same time.

Places like Freshii just reek of marketing, which just puts me off completely. Position yourself as "healthy" and capture the market that feel guilty about eating at McDonalds but instead feel better about themselves eating at your restaurant. Whether that is actually true or not (i.e. they probably should have had a yoghurt and banana for lunch instead anyway).

However, given the buy on board options on AC and what is available at most airports to buy ahead of time ... maybe this will count as an improvement? I guess we'll see.
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, MR Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Places like Freshii just reek of marketing, which just puts me off completely. Position yourself as "healthy" and capture the market that feel guilty about eating at McDonalds but instead feel better about themselves eating at your restaurant. Whether that is actually true or not (i.e. they probably should have had a yoghurt and banana for lunch instead anyway).
Agreed - if you recall, Freshii's original name was Lettuce Eatery, so I guess they decided lettuce was too far the other way, and settled with Fresh
Old Sep 6, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I find this somewhat of a joke? (aside from figuring out this French keyboard in the MLL)

Freshii's platform is "fresh" food... so how "fresh" can, for example, double catered food be?

Was the chicken (who went by the name "Henry") just killed, diced up, and catered to the aircraft?

I wonder how much Freshii paid to get their brand into the collective AC pax's minds.
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post

Freshii's platform is "fresh" food... so how "fresh" can, for example, double catered food be?

Was the chicken (who went by the name "Henry") just killed, diced up, and catered to the aircraft?
How about 24 blackbirds freshly minced by the engines and baked into a pie?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28785358-post3146.html
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Marlin240 View Post
How about 24 blackbirds freshly minced by the engines and baked into a pie?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28785358-post3146.html
You talk about the death of two dozen blackbirds like some passing joke!

How dare you!

(Sounds yummy)
Old Sep 7, 17, 4:23 am
Original Member

When I see "Freshii" I hear "Shkreli".
Old Sep 7, 17, 4:31 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Ugh, this drives me nuts. It certainly matters what calories you are eating, and 800 calories of quinoa and avocado and 800 calories of chocolate bars are not the same thing when it comes to the effects on your body, which I am sure is Freshiis point. None the less, weight loss is a pretty simple equation, and if you are pouring 4000 calories a day of quinoa and avocado in to your body you are not going to be losing weight unless you happen to be training for an Ironman at the same time.

However, given the buy on board options on AC and what is available at most airports to buy ahead of time ... maybe this will count as an improvement? I guess we'll see.
A while ago I was surprised to find a popular Vancouver restaurant chain's signature salad contained more calories, more sodium, and more fat than 4 and a half Big Macs.

Likewise I was recently surprised to find that not all calories are the same, as some foods take more energy just to digest.

And finally, I every recently learned every person has a unique profile when it comes to gaining and/or losing weight.
Old Sep 7, 17, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
A while ago I was surprised to find a popular Vancouver restaurant chain's signature salad contained more calories, more sodium, and more fat than 4 and a half Big Macs.

Likewise I was recently surprised to find that not all calories are the same, as some foods take more energy just to digest.

And finally, I every recently learned every person has a unique profile when it comes to gaining and/or losing weight.
+1
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:11 pm
F 1

Does anyone find the smash boxes hard to come by? Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I am finding them to be very elusive. A couple times now, I have flown early morning flights YVR-YYZ and they don't even load a single one! Seems like a big miss considering there is already a lack of BOB breakfast options for Y pax IMHO. Or is it just me?
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by F 1 View Post
Does anyone find the smash boxes hard to come by? Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I am finding them to be very elusive. A couple times now, I have flown early morning flights YVR-YYZ and they don't even load a single one! Seems like a big miss considering there is already a lack of BOB breakfast options for Y pax IMHO. Or is it just me?
Im fairly certain, but Smash Boxes are part of the lunch/dinner menu for BOB and would not be loaded on flights prior to 10:00.
Old Sep 5, 18, 1:06 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Im fairly certain, but Smash Boxes are part of the lunch/dinner menu for BOB and would not be loaded on flights prior to 10:00.
I'm pretty sure the BOB menu advertises the Avocado Smash Box as a breakfast item. https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._cafe_menu.pdf
Old Sep 5, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by F 1 View Post
I'm pretty sure the BOB menu advertises the Avocado Smash Box as a breakfast item. https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._cafe_menu.pdf

My apologies. You are indeed correct. I was thinking of the Pangoa Bowl.
(I'm generally positioned in the Front Cabin )
Old Sep 5, 18, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the BOB food plated for Y pax just like in the BOB menu?
canadiancow likes this.