Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

OSM - Onboard Service Manager on AC flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 1, 17, 11:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
Links to the other threads where the OSM - Onboard Service Manager is mentioned.

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board
Mentions starting with post 437
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-board-30.html

Summary of North America Executive class meal service
Mentions starting with post 3278
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rvice-219.html
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 1, 17, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
This new role is to fix the broken culture on board of AC's flights and to encourage engagement of Cabin Crew from complacent to optimum performance in order to become a top 10 global airline.
Nice! - I almost thought you meant it.

AC's PR department would be so happy.
Old Sep 1, 17, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Nice! - I almost thought you meant it.

AC's PR department would be so happy.
I did mean it, go read the job description, thats what is stated verbatim and of course my take on it.
Old Sep 1, 17, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
I did mean it, go read the job description, thats what is stated verbatim and of course my take on it.
Thus my comment about AC's PR department ....
Old Sep 1, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I thought there was a thread a few months back about this - there are 10 or so of these folks who are there to evaluate and advise on SOP for cabin crew. This is not a random thing but rather a new process. They even have a title though maybe 24Left can use her archival smarts to find the discussion.
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
I thought there was a thread a few months back about this - there are 10 or so of these folks who are there to evaluate and advise on SOP for cabin crew. This is not a random thing but rather a new process. They even have a title though maybe 24Left can use her archival smarts to find the discussion.
I am still waiting for someone to answer my questions from post 2

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Yes, mentioned in another thread this past week.

See post 437 and onward.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-board-30.html

AC launched OSMs a while back. Does anyone know:

1. What's there difference between these 2 managers

2. AC had reduced the number of FAs on routes, now down to 11 on AC 15/16 for example. Are these new "managers" now just there for decoration or to be an added layer between FAs, SDs and... ?

@vernonc

You rang?

The thread you're looking for is Concierge on aircraft?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-aircraft.html
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ircraft-2.html

I believe we also recently discussed th OSM in another thread. Maybe the NA J food one?
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: TK *G
On long haul flights, do they sit in J or Y? I hope they sit in Y and do AC15/16 and AC33/34 a couple times a month, and rely on the gourmet cuisine served on board.
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ircraft-2.html

I believe we also recently discussed th OSM in another thread. Maybe the NA J food one?
Did you read my post # 2 ? I included the link to that discussion. And I requited my post just above here.

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
On long haul flights, do they sit in J or Y? I hope they sit in Y and do AC15/16 and AC33/34 a couple times a month, and rely on the gourmet cuisine served on board.
I flew with one on AC 15 and another on AC 7.

I actually never saw where they sat or if they ate. One of them spoke to J pax and did engage. The other one took notes and made the crew nervous.
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Did you read my post # 2 ? I included the link to that discussion. And I requited my post just above here.

I actually never saw where they sat or if they ate. One of them spoke to J pax and did engage. The other one took notes and made the crew nervous.

Reminds me of school. Teacher would say the inspectors are coming in and "inspecting" the students. We actually believed that. Then. Of course, realized belatedly it was to inspect the teachers. Do we pax have to sit up straight when one of these people is on board?
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sorry, how is this different from the previously talked about Onboard Service Manager?
Old Sep 1, 17, 5:03 pm

Programs: TK *G

I doubt they sit in Y or eat Y meals. They probably eat crew meals, which are healthier than J meals based on my observation.

And even if they do sit in Y and eat Y meals, I am 99.99% sure things won't be changed for the better. The "cultural change" thing is probably a political war inside AC. And sales hide all the sins, planes full = no problem.
Old Sep 1, 17, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I believe there was a recent internal posting asking for some kind of onboard service manager type to (I am paraphrasing) "remove complacency amongst crew".

S
O

F
U
N
N
Y
Old Sep 1, 17, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
....From what I could gather and talking to the crew, they are not FAs or SDs. They are simply managers (think middle management). They cannot assist with any tasks (although the one on my flight did help try and fix a broken seat) or meal service. They are just there to supervise (apparently)
Hmmm, I think the cabin crew do a pretty good job most of the time. Not sure the "kids" need supervision.

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
.....The "cultural change" thing is probably a political war inside AC. And sales hide all the sins, planes full = no problem.
^^^

Perhaps AC thinks having their own version of a CX/BR/SQ/EK ISM will change the pax experience onboard.

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Sorry, how is this different from the previously talked about Onboard Service Manager?
I'm sensing some inattention here. Now both of us have asked this question.

I'll guess: Some people were told the exact names and titles and job description I was given a business card so I can see the title). Others were perhaps told a different title or description.

Let's just agree it's more crew but wearing different colours.
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not the thread I meant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rvice-219.html
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And my reply to you there in post 3280

"Armed with an iPad"? LOL

I think you missed the brief discussion in another thread about AC's newish OSMs, Onboard Service Managers.

I've flown a couple of TPACs with different OSMs. Both seemed friendly enough, fancy uniforms, nicer fabric and colors etc. One of them at least took a few minutes to explain their jobs.....supposedly something like the ISMs on CX, BR.

I can't post other comments/observations on this topic on a public forum.

Also, I like turmeric but can't eat meals with curry. Carry on.....

This OSM topic has now appeared in 4 different threads.

Maybe we can have just one

Search this Thread
Search Engine: