Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on BOS-NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades on BOS-NRT?

I found some great economy fares from BOS to NRT via both YUL and YYZ next June. I checked expertflyer and basically all show R, P, and Z upgrades.

Now my question: How do these upgrades work on Air Canada? Can I, like with AA, buy an economy ticket, call to verify upgrade availability, and then pay X dollars or X dollar + Y miles to secure those upgrades to business?

Last edited by dpakman91; Aug 31, 2017 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Not sure you understand the system here. Z and P are not upgrades, they're revenue fare buckets. R is the bucket for eUpgrades (awarded to those with status in AC's FFP).

Most fares require R space to upgrade, but R space is not a sufficient condition for an upgrade - eUpgrades have restrictions on when an upgrade can be requested

Not sure you understand the system here. Z and P are not upgrades, they're revenue fare buckets. R is the bucket for eUpgrades (awarded to those with status in AC's FFP).

Most fares require R space to upgrade, but R space is not a sufficient condition for an upgrade - eUpgrades have restrictions on when an upgrade can be requested (i.e. not before a certain amount of time before a flight).

Latitude fares (fully flexible economy) can upgrade if R=0 but P>0 for international fares or Z>0 for domestic/trans-border.

In any case, this is likely moot as you need to have elite status with AC Altitude to have any eUpgrades (or you have to have a friend with SE status who will nominate you).

If you have no status with AC, your options to sit in business are:
  • Buy a business class fare (revenue or with points from a *A FFP)
  • Buy a Latitude (Y/B fare classes) ticket and use Star Alliance Upgrade Award - this requires availability of space in the I booking class and for you to have the miles from a *A FFP
  • Bid on an upgrade (there's a whole thread on it here), with successful bids decided a couple of days before the flight
  • Purchase a last-minute upgrade ("LMU") at check-in
​​​​​​The latter two options are dependent on space being available at that time.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Adam summarized it well.
If the fares are so cheap, your options are :
1) Call and pay the fare diff to P fare.
2) Bid on an upgrade
3) LMU at T-24 when you checkin.
Option 3 is likely to be the cheapest but not guaranteed that there will be space.
Option 1 is guaranteed and immediate.
Option 2 assumes there is space which appears so in this case and that your bid is successful but you can increase your bid.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
1) Call and pay the fare diff to P fare.
Technically an option, but it sounds like OP has not yet purchased the ticket, in which case this is just a waste of time vs just purchasing a P fare online.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Most fares require R space to upgrade, but R space is not a sufficient condition for an upgrade - eUpgrades have restrictions on when an upgrade can be requested

Most fares require R space to upgrade, but R space is not a sufficient condition for an upgrade - eUpgrades have restrictions on when an upgrade can be requested (i.e. not before a certain amount of time before a flight).

Latitude fares (fully flexible economy) can upgrade if R=0 but P>0 for international fares or Z>0 for domestic/trans-border.

In any case, this is likely moot as you need to have elite status with AC Altitude to have any eUpgrades (or you have to have a friend with SE status who will nominate you).

If you have no status with AC, your options to sit in business are:
  • Buy a business class fare (revenue or with points from a *A FFP)
  • Buy a Latitude (Y/B fare classes) ticket and use Star Alliance Upgrade Award - this requires availability of space in the I booking class and for you to have the miles from a *A FFP
  • Bid on an upgrade (there's a whole thread on it here), with successful bids decided a couple of days before the flight
  • Purchase a last-minute upgrade ("LMU") at check-in
​​​​​​The latter two options are dependent on space being available at that time.
thanks so much, I am indeed new to AC and expertflyer. Appreciate these clarifications!

So that I understand, latitude fair is a flexible/full economy ticket, which is a requirement in order to be able to do a *A upgrade? What is necessary in order to get a *A upgrade?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by dpakman91
.....What is necessary in order to get a *A upgrade?

Here is the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards page

http://www.staralliance.com/en/upgrade-awards

Which, when you select Aeroplan for example takes you to this page

https://www.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by dpakman91
thanks so much, I am indeed new to AC and expertflyer. Appreciate these clarifications!

So that I understand, latitude fair is a flexible/full economy ticket, which is a requirement in order to be able to do a *A upgrade? What is necessary in order to get a *A upgrade?
The links 24L provided are useful.

In addition, you should know that SAUAs require space in I booking class. On EF, you have to search from that separately from searching for revenue bookings. It's under the award search.

Keep in mind that the Y/B fares you need to use a SAUA (which AC sells as "Latitude") are much more expensive than the cheapest economy fares. It's frequently possible to buy a business class fare for cheaper than a Latitude fare, especially if space is available in P.

Also, even if there is I space and a Y/B fare is cheaper than buying a business class ticket, consider whether you might be better off to just redeem frequent flyer miles for the ticket.

For example, would you rather spend $2500 for a Latitude fare PLUS 50K miles to upgrade or just use 150K miles for a business class reward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.