Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

At BNA, Air Canada doesn't bother to show - 15 miss flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At BNA, Air Canada doesn't bother to show - 15 miss flight!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
@xray had this once, flying J YVR YYZ, and the J line-up was so long that she missed the cutoff and they wouldn't reopen it! She wasn't even late, just came from the Fairmont YVR 1h before or so.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
In a response to a tweet? Really?

BTW the tweet does not say the agents did not show up. Merely that there was no agent there when these passengers arrived.

Likely a situation where the same agents move from check in to boarding after the cutoff, because it's a small station and that's enough people. And that they had already left when these passengers arrived.

Whether the agents left a but early or whether the passengers arrived late we don't know at this point. We have only heard one side of the story really. So better to keep an open mind until/if details get clarified.
I am keeping an open mind. Just find it hard to think that all these 15 passengers out of 50 were 'late' specially since the claim is that the agent left them there and took off for the gate. Since the passengers were checking bags at the airport they were not connecting and 15 passengers would mean that 30% of the passengers showed up late for checkin?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NordsFan
In my experience at US stations such as BNA, CVG, DFW and even LAX and SFO, the AC or contractor staff who man the check-in counters are often the same 2 or 3 individuals you find at the gate a little later handling boarding and departure.

AC7336 is scheduled as 0600 exBNA. It left at 0616 (the bridge issue).

US departures have a check-in cut-off time of T-60 minutes, so 0500 for this flight. Boarding would likely have started sometime between 0530 and 0545.

So, if nobody was at the check-in counter, what time was it when the photo was taken ? What happened to the agents between 0455 and 0530 ?

Another question might be: did a group of pax miss the 0500 check-in cut-off time at BNA this morning ?
At SFO, they do leave the check-in desk after the last flight closes. If there are still people in line, they wait around, but at T-55, if there are no customers, they head to the gate.

Originally Posted by ffsim
The picture was tweeted at 6:55am eastern which is way past 0500 cutoff, so that doesn't really help establish when the picture was taken.

But as for your bolded question, it appears the "agent walked away from us." The person who posted the picture also said "we got here an hour before." See here: https://twitter.com/juliarags/status/903213153919610880

So if the group got there "an hour before" the 6am departure, then presumably they got there too late.
I'm curious about the actual times too.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by robsaw
The contractor is an internal issue between AC and the contractor and is irrelevant to the passenger relationship with AC. AC doesn't get ANY slack because it was not a direct employee involved.
Originally Posted by Jane42
Exactly! Customers don't know, nor do they care, whether it was the airline that messed up or a contractor the airline hired. They are booked on an airline and that is who they are going to blame when things go wrong.
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
If the contractor screwed up, t is their fault, fly-by-night or not.
Of course ultimately it’s AC’s fault and up to AC to make it right. Customers may not know, and they may not care. They make take to Twitter to vent after a year of absence, they may spend future airline dollars elsewhere.

This thread’s title is perfect for CBC, or the Toronto Star. But this is FT; we sweat the small details. How many threads exist simply to make the distinction between one seat and another based on the number of nearby windows or the availability of overhead bins? Let’s not pretend that this audience doesn’t understand, appreciate or care for the difference between airline and contract staff.

I get it. OP hates AC and wants to show them in the worst light possible — this thread’s title is further proof most of us didn’t need. But some of us prefer to look at details more objectively.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
It's not an analysis.

It's speculation based on an acknowledged assumption.
Fair enough, I should’ve known better. I had “hypothesis” in mind but actually wrote “analysis” for some reason. “Speculation” would’ve been an even better choice.
Sebring likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by jlisi984
@xray had this once, flying J YVR YYZ, and the J line-up was so long that she missed the cutoff and they wouldn't reopen it! She wasn't even late, just came from the Fairmont YVR 1h before or so.
I even had OCLI but needed to drop off my bag. At one point, I asked to move up in the line but agents rebuffed that attempt. When I finally got up to the counter, the agents told me that AC had cut back the number of agents manning the priority counter in the am.

Thankfully, Fairmont YVR let me back into the room I had just vacated.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Not a lot of facts here. My guess is that the number of passengers was less than 15, that the check-in agent was a little to hasty proceeding to gate duties, and some people got screwed/screwed themselves by being late or right at the cut-off. Usually in these situations there's blame in more than one place and 'facts' are often overstated to build a better story. AC should have someone at check-in until all those who have tickets are processed or until at least some grace time after cut-off.

I know when small stations I frequent like YQX, YZF and YXY adjusted to the 45 min cut-off, there was some patience required on the part of staff and passengers, but I don't recall people being intentionally turned away or desks being vacant. I still often arrive at YZF 50-55 mins before a flight and line up for 15, but nobody gets turned away.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster

I get it. OP hates AC and wants to show them in the worst light possible — this thread’s title is further proof most of us didn’t need. But some of us prefer to look at details more objectively.
OP here. I don't "hate" AC. I do 125-150,000 miles a year on them, or partner airlines. I've been SE for every year there has been SE, except in 2003, post 9-11.

What I do find frustrating is a customer-service oriented culture that is lacking, that is debated here and elsewhere as in continual need of improvement, and a corporate leadership culture that just does not seem to care. I, like many other folks, have experienced this culture-fail multiple times in my close to 2 million miles with the airline.

So this isn't driven by a 'CBC' type agenda. I just find these situations to be galling.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I don’t “hate” AC... So this isn't driven by a 'CBC' type agenda.
I see. I must’ve been fooled by the thread’s sensational title and its opening sentence, "a new low for the world's worst airline.”
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

I see. I must’ve been fooled by the thread’s sensational title and its opening sentence, "a new low for the world's worst airline.”
So folks get emotional.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:56 am

So folks get emotional.
I don’t even know what that means. I didn’t notice anyone getting emotional. Was it a question or a statement?

Let’s try to advance the alleged cause of this thread. Some of us attempted to establish the timeline of events based on two tweets from 1 passenger at a tiny AC outstation that you managed to track down. How would the world’s best airlines have handled a similar situation?

General consensus here suggests that walking away from queued customers is never good. Letting contractors ruin your customers’ experiences is never good, either. Hanging out at the check-in counter with less than one-third of a plane load of passengers while the other two-thirds sit at the gate you’re supposed to be manning is also not good.

I feel like if I was in that situation and if I had pax in front of me who missed their check-in cutoff but I really had to get elsewhere to do my job, I’d have to leave. I’d make an announcement that anyone still in line will have to be rebooked, that I have to head to the gate and that I’ll handle said rebookings as soon as I can get back to the counter. I’m sure that would anger those in line, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of alternatives.

What would you do?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:45 pm

I don’t even know what that means. I didn’t notice anyone getting emotional. Was it a question or a statement?
Perhaps the OP was saying HE may have gotten emotional when he chose the title of his post......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.