Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice for booking Aeroplan award from Toronto to Auckland then Papeete

Advice for booking Aeroplan award from Toronto to Auckland then Papeete

Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by circky
Reviving an old thread as I'd like advice to fly to Auckland from Toronto as well. I know a common route of getting there is via SYD on Air Canada and then Air New Zealand to AKL. Understanding it's wise to book as far out as possible, it looks like Air New Zealand opens up flights after Air Canada. Is the general accepted practice to book one way from YYZ to SYD, pay a change fee to make it round trip once the SYD to YYZ opens up and then pay one last change fee to include the SYD-AKL round trip flights?
Assume this is about awards
When do you want to travel?
Is AKL the real final NZ destination? Or another NZ region?
From SYD, AKL is not the only NZ airport that Air NZ and other airlines fly to.
Air Canada also flys to BNE & MEL. Air NZ & others fly from those to many NZ airports, including AKL

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand are (not from all airports to all airports)And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
reviving an old thread as I'd like advice to fly to Auckland from Toronto as well. I know a common route of getting there is via SYD on Air Canada and then Air New Zealand to AKL. Understanding it's wise to book as far out as possible, it looks like Air New Zealand opens up flights after Air Canada. Is the general accepted practice to book one way from YYZ to SYD, pay a change fee to make it round trip once the SYD to YYZ opens up and then pay one last change fee to include the SYD-AKL round trip flights?
This will be unnecessarily costly both from the viewpoint of extortionate charges for flying AC and then the change fee. This will be in excess of $800.
There are options via Asia, AKL has a high maximum allowable mileage. Then that can be changed to NZ if it opens up at 90 days via LAX and SFO if so desired
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This will be unnecessarily costly both from the viewpoint of extortionate charges for flying AC and then the change fee. This will be in excess of $800.
There are options via Asia, AKL has a high maximum allowable mileage. Then that can be changed to NZ if it opens up at 90 days via LAX and SFO if so desired
Sorry I should have provided some more information. I am Super Elite for AC so I won't have fuel surcharge and my priority is to minimize travel time since I will only have two weeks for this trip. So even though I have IKK, other forum members suggest booking as far out as possible, so it seems like if AC is my preferred route, the couple of change fees seem unavoidable if I want to be as "sure" as possible. I can't seem to find how far in advance NZ releases their award seats, but on Aeroplan it seems wide open if it's economy seats after a certain point in time. Based on your comment for NZ, do they only open up business class seats 90 days in advance (I think Australia to New Zealand routes isn't supposed to be hard to book like the TPAC flights on business).

Thanks to the previous poster indicating UA flying to AKL from SFO, as I did not know that. I checked on Aeroplan for availability and it looks pretty good, but doesn't look like UA opens flights as far out as Air Canada. Searching on Google seems like United opens up their award flights 338 days in advance for United Mileageplus...should that be the same for Aeroplan as well?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.......Thanks to the previous poster indicating UA flying to AKL from SFO, as I did not know that. I checked on Aeroplan for availability and it looks pretty good, but doesn't look like UA opens flights as far out as Air Canada.....
@circky

On the first page on this forum, there is this thread

SIN-AKL-IAH NZ J award - worth it?

Along with the thread itself, see posts 22 and 24
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to the previous poster indicating UA flying to AKL from SFO, as I did not know that. I checked on Aeroplan for availability and it looks pretty good, but doesn't look like UA opens flights as far out as Air Canada. Searching on Google seems like United opens up their award flights 338 days in advance for United Mileageplus...should that be the same for Aeroplan as well?
Does UA even open up the AKL flight to Aeroplan members?
The only space I've seen is (IN - United elite) not (I) - Star members
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I'm not an AP or AC expert by any means but as a SYD resident (who often travels on award tickets to Canada and many other places) I can offer this input:-

NZ opens it's booking window at 354 days in advance - same as AC.
NZ is extremely stingy with business class award seats on it long-haul routes - particularly North America (note they also fly to AKL-YVR); however, it is possible to snag trans-Tasman seats (e.g.SYD-AKL, MEL-AKL etc). if booked far in advance.
Paid economy seats SYD-AKL (and other combinations of AU/NZ cities) are very competitively priced so consider just buying one or both of these segments. Also, business class SYD-AKL return is often on sale (recently $650 return) as many airlines fly this route.
So perhaps just get to SYD/MEL/BNE have a stop-over then buy your flights to/from NZ
For the poster who also wanted to visit Tahiti - this route AKL-PPT is all but impossible to snag business class awards on NZ (they only fly 2/3 times per week) and it is expensive to buy even in economy. However if you have any AA points you can book on Air Tahiti Nui (TN) - where award seats are much easier to come by.

Hope this helps.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was looking at it a couple weeks ago for a few dates and found I2 without much issue. It was for tomorrow or Saturday (so the beginning of Thanksgiving week).
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:17 pm

Damn...attempted to book two business class tickets for Nov 8, 2019 from Yyz to syd right at midnight with no luck. Looks like they only released one seat (no IKK). I attempted again for Nov 9, 2019 at midnight but again no luck. For the time being I took the one seat that was available.

Is there any specific requirement for AC to offer minimum “x” seats for flight or just at an aggregate? Is the answer simply “it depends” if I wanted to know what the likelihood of AC releasing more seats down the line?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
It is very likely you will need a separate ticket to PPT from AKL.
Alternatively, you can fly to PPT and AKL from Honolulu on paid tickets.

Air NZ tends to open TPAC award space 90 days out.
What about Japan-NZ, is that considered TPAC? I thought I booked my previous AKL-HND flight about 150 days out, but now that I'm searching HND-AKL/NRT-AKL/KIX-AKL for next winter, I'm not finding anything. Is this the old Aeroplan website glitch, is Air NZ being stingy, or am I looking too far out?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
What about Japan-NZ, is that considered TPAC? I thought I booked my previous AKL-HND flight about 150 days out, but now that I'm searching HND-AKL/NRT-AKL/KIX-AKL for next winter, I'm not finding anything. Is this the old Aeroplan website glitch, is Air NZ being stingy, or am I looking too far out?
I dont think so, I booked PVG-AKL recently for a long time out, so hopefully that hasnt changed!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I believe that @24left has taken that flight, on Aeroplan points, a couple of times in recent months.

Damn...attempted to book two business class tickets for Nov 8, 2019 from Yyz to syd right at midnight with no luck. Looks like they only released one seat (no IKK). I attempted again for Nov 9, 2019 at midnight but again no luck. For the time being I took the one seat that was available.

Is there any specific requirement for AC to offer minimum “x” seats for flight or just at an aggregate? Is the answer simply “it depends” if I wanted to know what the likelihood of AC releasing more seats down the line?
It depends on how many seats AC sells and thinks they can sell.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.