Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada gives up ACC naming rights to Scotiabank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada gives up ACC naming rights to Scotiabank

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I wonder if as many people will now accidentally buy tickets at the Halifax Scotiabank Center (v. Toronto Scotiabank Center) as accidentally book YQY v SYD.
Some folks are going to hear Scotia and arena, and think Ottawa. I had to check whether Ottawa's arena is still called Scotiabank Place.

Some Ottawa residents are going to wonder why Scotiabank pulled the investment from their community and moved it to Toronto.

Scotiabank has been putting their brand on another type of entertainment facility (movie theatres). I agree that $40M / year is hard to justify.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by mapleg
$40 million a year wasted, IMHO.
Not if you are the recipient of such a wanton expenditure. I expect that the agent/lawyers who arranged the deal will also walk away with millions in commissions. The deal probably comes with a box and extras for the bank sales force and senior execs.
Sucks to be a customer of the bank though because they get to pay for this with the inflated bank fees and fat commissions on the purchase of financial instruments. Nothing says F you to the retail banking customer segment than a deal like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Not if you are the recipient of such a wanton expenditure. I expect that the agent/lawyers who arranged the deal will also walk away with millions in commissions. The deal probably comes with a box and extras for the bank sales force and senior execs.
Sucks to be a customer of the bank though because they get to pay for this with the inflated bank fees and fat commissions on the purchase of financial instruments. Nothing says F you to the retail banking customer segment than a deal like this.
If you dont like to pay commission fees on your trades, you can go rent your own chair on Wall St.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If you dont like to pay commission fees on your trades, you can go rent your own chair on Wall St.
Sure thing, and if you don't like flying AC, buy your own jet and hire a pilot.

Makes as much sense
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Scotiabank is richer than you think.
Yes, and while they are not my main bank, I will be keeping an eye on their fees.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Sebring
It will be the Scotiabank Arena, for which the bank is paying $800 million over 20 years, believed to be the richest North American naming rights deal ever. Air Canada supposedly retains a significant marketing agreement for the next eight years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it flies both the Leafs and Raptors over that period. The airline already flies the Leafs, but the Raptors had been locked in with Delta which is getting out of sports charters.
Makes you wonder if people will want to deposit their money in a bank that spends their own so profligately.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by STS Flight Surgeon
Makes you wonder if people will want to deposit their money in a bank that spends their own so profligately.
I think people choose where to deposit their money based off client experiences (Branch or Online)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by STS Flight Surgeon
Basically its a transfer of wealth from BNS's shareholders, to BCE and Rogers' shareholders (most of the ownership of MLSE!). So someone who owns a reasonably diversified portfolio, it will net out to being zero.

As far as who people lend BNS money to, usually people will do that based on interest rates offered, or for retail customers, the sort of services offered in lieu of interest. The bank is not spending a dime of customers' funds on this sponsorship deal.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by pitz
Basically its a transfer of wealth from BNS's shareholders, to BCE and Rogers' shareholders (most of the ownership of MLSE!). So someone who owns a reasonably diversified portfolio, it will net out to being zero.

As far as who people lend BNS money to, usually people will do that based on interest rates offered, or for retail customers, the sort of services offered in lieu of interest. The bank is not spending a dime of customers' funds on this sponsorship deal.
Well, of course they are. They make their profits from their customers.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by mapleg
Sure thing, and if you don't like flying AC, buy your own jet and hire a pilot.

Makes as much sense
Sure thing, can't wait to fly for free. Makes total sense.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the Leafs soon be associated with the "Scotiabank Rat Race?"

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,7419,00.html

Frankly, I have no interest in what they call it.

Last edited by acysb87; Aug 30, 2017 at 6:22 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Scotia yesterday announced quarterly earnings of $2.1 billion. $10 million a quarter will not be noticed.

The Leafs are the prime hockey property in the league. There is a reason why even when the team was bad it dominated the HNIC schedule. "Scotiabank Arena" will roll off the announcers tongue multiple times during the broadcast. You can't block out that commercial if you are watching or listening to the game.

I'm sure there are other perks tied to the deal. It's been a few years since I have been to the ACC, but I do remember a lot of TD advertising. Doubt that will be there anymore. Scotia ATMs will probably appear in the arena, along will Scotia reps selling Leaf/Raptor branded Scotia credit cards.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
So if it can no longer be called the Hangar, will it be called the Vault?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Some folks are going to hear Scotia and arena, and think Ottawa. I had to check whether Ottawa's arena is still called Scotiabank Place.
Exactly. Companies spending good money and you have to google the building to confirm who's the naming sponsor.
Looks like naming rights have to be unique. I thought Scotia should name ACC ScotiaBank Centre but seems there's already one of those in Halifax? Who knew?? I've only been an avid follower of sports for 25 years.
Originally Posted by jerry305
I agree that $40M / year is hard to justify.
Agreed. This deal belongs in the class of the Rogers NHL deal and TD's AP Visa deal. Brutal
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tcook052
Scotiabank is richer than you think.
lol ^^^

it is indeed. who end up paying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.