Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aimia (owner of Aeroplan) sells Air Miles (Canada)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I thought for sure that someone would have posted this by the time I had read it this morning.
Aimia, the owner of Aeroplan, has sold the Air Miles Trademarks for Canada to Diversified Royalty Corp.
Press release here on the Aimia website.

The reason I'm posting this here, is because a search of all FT forums finds discussion of Aimia almost exclusively in this forum.

I'm wondering what their strategy is with Aeroplan since AC will be ditching them in a few years. I've had the impression that AirMiles has been upping their game a lot since AC's announcement with miles offers seemingly much more generous. I guess that Aeroplan would become much more like AirMiles since it won't have a direct airline association once AC leaves.

$54M doesn't seem like much either.

Anyone have thoughts or insights into this situation? Time to dump AirMiles quickly?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Interesting. I think this explains the rationale pretty well (bolding mine):

"This transaction is part of our plan to simplify our business. We continue to evaluate and consider further disposals of non-core investments and assets to strengthen our balance sheet," said David Johnston, Group Chief Executive, Aimia.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I thought for sure that someone would have posted this by the time I had read it this morning.
Aimia, the owner of Aeroplan, has sold the Air Miles Trademarks for Canada to Diversified Royalty Corp.
Press release here on the Aimia website.

The reason I'm posting this here, is because a search of all FT forums finds discussion of Aimia almost exclusively in this forum..........
Thanks for posting the news.

This thread had a wiki with various announcements including Aeroplan/Aimia

I had asked about starting a separate thread for Aeroplan/Aimia.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...2020-a-55.html
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I know about LoyaltyOne and AirMiles but I had no idea that Aimia was the trademark owner for AirMiles in Canada. Interesting that Aimia let LoyaltyOne more or less compete with them but charged $8.5 mil per year for that privilege.

I concur that $54 mil isn't very much, but it also demonstrates what these programs are "worth" if all you can realistically do is buy toasters.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
This is a royalty / trademark and has no impact on Air Miles / LoyaltyOne's operating business. The only thing that surprised me was they were not able to buy it themselves.

On the other hand this has a very positive impact on Aimia's business and is something we have been expecting as one of many steps to come.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
$54-$67 million is a pretty low price for an $8.5 million annual annuity.

Guess Aimia needs the cash.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:52 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Aimia is certainly trying to maximize cash on hand to weather the AC split, but isn't it to Aeroplan's advantage to have someone other than LoyaltyOne owning the trademark?

If loyaltyOne bought it they would take the $54m cost in year 1 and then show profits up in subsequent years. Aimia doesn't want Airmiles to be able to claim that they're bigger or more profitable than Aeroplan.

If they sell the trademark to someone else then there's a profit motive to squeeze LoyaltyOne for more money at the next negotiation.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
That's some pretty high discount rate they got to get that NPV above 0
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:10 pm

AirMiles sounds like a more valuable trademark that Aimia or Aeroplan. At least it means something even to people that own none of the above. Why in a hell would anyone sell it instead of monetizing it after the AC divorce. $8 M a year for a program that has revenue of billions. Cut the contract and use it yourself. Current AirMiles program would crush.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
AirMiles sounds like a more valuable trademark that Aimia or Aeroplan. At least it means something even to people that own none of the above. Why in a hell would anyone sell it instead of monetizing it after the AC divorce. $8 M a year for a program that has revenue of billions. Cut the contract and use it yourself. Current AirMiles program would crush.
Aimia can't arbitrarily terminate a contract now - and they need cash now and before the Air Miles licensing agreement would renew and before the AC agreement with Aeroplan expires. I suspect the operators of Air Miles in Canada have terms on the name licensing contract that would make any other option financial untenable for Aimia.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
Aimia is certainly trying to maximize cash on hand to weather the AC split, but isn't it to Aeroplan's advantage to have someone other than LoyaltyOne owning the trademark?

If loyaltyOne bought it they would take the $54m cost in year 1 and then show profits up in subsequent years. Aimia doesn't want Airmiles to be able to claim that they're bigger or more profitable than Aeroplan.

If they sell the trademark to someone else then there's a profit motive to squeeze LoyaltyOne for more money at the next negotiation.
Not sure if they would expense this right off the hop in year 1. Probably needs to be booked as an asset (Trademark / Goodwill) or something similar and depreciated over time. They might write it off on paper in year 1, but from a tax perspective wouldn't be able to use the whole transaction value to offset tax in year 1.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Market seems to like it. Stock up 16 cents (11%) on a down day.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Why Aimia Just Sold Off the Canadian Air Miles Program

by Gary Leff on August 28, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....miles-program/
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Why Aimia Just Sold Off the Canadian Air Miles Program

by Gary Leff on August 28, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....miles-program/
I thought they sold the trademark, not the program?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I thought they sold the trademark, not the program?
Right. He left out that part but did include the link to the CTV news item

"Aimia sells Air Miles Trademarks for Canada for nearly $54 million"

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/aimia...lion-1.3562293

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.