Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award bookable by phone but not online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

The can see the award I want to book on the United and ANA websites. The Aeroplan website however, only shows a route with an extra stop and 2 legs in economy. I called Aeroplan and the agent sees the award route I want. She wants to charge me a phone booking fee! I think this is outrageous when she tried to pull up my itinerary online and also could not. Even multi-city completely failed. She would not waive the phone fee and even escalation to a supervisor was useless. I told him other *Alliance websites showed the award and that their website did not work. He insisted the website works the way it is supposed to and this is the first he ever heard of it not finding an award other websites showed. So, has anyone ever had luck getting the phone fee waived? Do itineraries that initially failed to show up eventually show up in a day or two? Is my only option to pay this stupid fee?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, but not under these circumstances.
No.
Yes.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Concise and helpful. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:44 pm

Someone needs to take them to small claims court over this.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:52 pm
ski

Does the airline have a web support desk? Web support desk is usually able to do the booking without phone charge, when unable to get it to book online. Have done this with both United and Delta. Maybe United web support desk could help you.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ski
Does the airline have a web support desk? Web support desk is usually able to do the booking without phone charge, when unable to get it to book online. Have done this with both United and Delta. Maybe United web support desk could help you.
We're talking about Aeroplan.

Not United, not Delta. Not even an airline
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
What specific damages would you claim? $30?

Not even worth the time of a retired lawyer to do out of boredom.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
What specific damages would you claim? $30?

Not even worth the time of a retired lawyer to do out of boredom.
I know the filing fee would be more than the damages, but force it through small claims court for precedence... then do a class action afterwards.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
It does not make sense but it is the way it is. I now give up and just pay $30 everytime. My itinerary is always available, but never available online. Nothing more I can do. Aeroplan knows this and this is an easy money grab. So why would they waive it?

P.S. I always love when Aeroplan calls out their ad campaigns and advertises that it one of their myths that all awards can be booked online. Clearly they can't. So what do you call a myth that is actually true?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC009
P.S. I always love when Aeroplan calls out their ad campaigns and advertises that it one of their myths that all awards can be booked online. Clearly they can't. So what do you call a myth that is actually true?
A lie or BS?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Sometimes OK...
Fixed Mileage Reward showed on website leaving today and returning Wed. Clicking to Book gave just "Updating Information" with 2 computers using 2 browsers.

Called Aeroplan who answered on first ring. Their screen only showed Market Fares so I offered to send screen shot. Long pause. He contacted his IT department. Longer pause. On return to my call he offered to book it manually.

I told him the "taxes" amount showing on the browser page. That is what was charged to my credit cared. No "booking fee" or even a discussion of a charge.

Last edited by Ew/oQ; Aug 20, 2017 at 6:45 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AC
Even manual booking is getting harder these days. It took me 3 calls to get YYZ-ORD-FRA-HEL that did not show up online.

First agent reluctantly ("we don't usually do this") agreed to check specific route I offered and then claimed it's illegal. HUACA. Second agent flat out refused going beyond simple O-to-D search. Another HUACA, and voila: route booked. I've had some clueless agents, but have never double HUACA'd before for a one-way.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AC 75K
Since you suggested it, why don't you?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know the filing fee would be more than the damages, but force it through small claims court for precedence... then do a class action afterwards.
Do small claims make a precedent?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, but not under these circumstances.
No.
Yes.
Yup. I have also had the fee waived but they first sent it to IT who had to confirm that there was an issue then they waived it. Took almost 45 mins I believe. But this was for an award showing on the AE site that I could not book online, not what could be seen on other airlines awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.