YHZ Halifax Runway Construction

Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

YHZ Halifax Runway Construction

https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2017/08/...ation-program/
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan
We'll see how this effects AC operations in Halifax. The shortened runway likely won't matter even for the 763, but the lack of ILS could make for very nasty delays if YHZ sees major fog.

I was stuck in YOW for 2 extra days back in July 2005 during runway construction that killed the ILS system in heavy fog. I was on Canjet though, and their small fleet didn't have a lot of flexibility to handle IROPS.

[Insert joke here about AC A320 pilots and ILS]
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I can definitely see there being major delays during the time that 14/32 is closed. Apart from that there is the CAT I ILS on RWY14 that will be useable the rest of the time. However I can definitely see issues with flights arriving in the late eve and early morning such as AC622/24/26 as it can get extremely foggy overnight.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Looks like St. John's better prepare for a few diverts.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Member

I see a hard landing on a taxiway.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
...so you won't be surprised then when on short final you hear the engines spool up!!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Looks like St. John's better prepare for a few diverts.
YQM is much closer, and an easy bus ride to YHZ if needed.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
Funny about diversions...

YQM is definitely closer but it's happened to me more than once where on a YHZ-bound flight, they sent us back to YUL.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
"The third phase will see work completed to restore an 800 metre section of the airport’s main runway (05/23)" says the news release.

Isn't that the same runway AC bounced that A320 down a year or two ago? I wonder if the restoration work is connected to that "hard landing?"
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Symmetre
"The third phase will see work completed to restore an 800 metre section of the airport’s main runway (05/23)" says the news release.

Isn't that the same runway AC bounced that A320 down a year or two ago? I wonder if the restoration work is connected to that "hard landing?"
The airports press releases indicate that most everything will be upgraded/repaired over the next decade or whatever. Something has to be worst.

But yes, this would be that area.

I anticipate many October Thursday nights RON near Pearson. Is the Landing Strip worth a visit?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

The pictures in the press release show the other end of the runway near where it intersects 14/32. That must be why 14/32 is being closed for a few days in September.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I anticipate many October Thursday nights RON near Pearson. Is the Landing Strip worth a visit?
LOL!! It beats the MLL, that's for sure.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
LOL!! It beats the MLL, that's for sure.
If I could nap in the MLL from midnight to 0530, I'd honestly prefer that to being fighting with taxi drivers to accept the AC voucher for the 3 minute drive to one or the Marriott's nearby... Followed by being treated like a loser with $17 of food credit by a waitress (which, while true, one still quite willing to drink his clients money extensively).

The on campus Sheraton, however, is tolerable.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by smallmj
YQM is much closer, and an easy bus ride to YHZ if needed.
Originally Posted by PreferJ
YQM is definitely closer but it's happened to me more than once where on a YHZ-bound flight, they sent us back to YUL.
YQM may be closer, but I doubt they want to try and clear customs there.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The truly discerning gentleman can be found at the Million Dollar Restaurant on Torbram (or so I've heard).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.