Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ-TYO advice; HND on a 777-300 or NRT on a 789 in J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I didn't find an appropriate thread so posting here.

I'm looking at booking a trip to Japan in J next year from YYZ to Tokyo. Right now I have two options: HND on a 777-300 and NRT on a 789. I'm aware HND would be closer but I'm not sure if there are other cons to it, and as far as I can tell 789 would be preferable to 777, but is it enough to make up for the closer location of HND.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by viracocha
I didn't find an appropriate thread so posting here.

I'm looking at booking a trip to Japan in J next year from YYZ to Tokyo. Right now I have two options: HND on a 777-300 and NRT on a 789. I'm aware HND would be closer but I'm not sure if there are other cons to it, and as far as I can tell 789 would be preferable to 777, but is it enough to make up for the closer location of HND.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
If your destination is Downtown/Metropolitan Tokyo - HND. Absolutely. "J" experience is pretty much identical.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I prefer the 789 (I notice the higher humidity, higher cabin pressure and larger seat space on the 789 vs. 773) but typically end up booking the HND flight due to proximity to Tokyo and area and lower cost of public transport to my final destination. HND also seems to have less of a line-up at customs.

FWIW, the time different to downtown Tokyo is about 30-45 minutes depending on where you want to go, so not that big a deal if you really prefer the 789.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew into HND and out of NRT on my first trip to Japan this summer. After having the same fear you did, I will choose NRT for more convenience and more lounge options.

If flying AC metal, the cabins are similar. Prefer 789 due to more modern but they are both very similar. If flying ANA, I would push for the 789 because the 777 we flew to ORD showed alot of wear and tear in J. And their 789 lavs have the rarely ordered bidet option.

stayed at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo by the way.. Awesome city center location super close to main train station.

HND had direct bus service to town and the GH. they orchestrate their luxury bus ticket sales, xfers, on time departures, and white glove baggage handling with precision. Took just over an hour, bus stopped at 2 nearby hotels then ours.

NRT had direct bus service and direct high speed train service from the main city station 5min from GH. We took that back due to the NRT HR bus being full the morning we checked out (apparently people pre book). We could have taken a 2hr bus or a 1hr express train from the main station. Chose the train and we were smiling the whole way. Not a maglev, but still zips by all the traffic.

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 17, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I prefer HND for many reasons... and I find the 789 vs the 777 to be a wash...:

1) Closer to 'downtown' Tokyo. Its a short monorail ride away from Hamamtsucho (13 min on Express) and a short (15 min) Keikyu Line train ride to Shinagawa Station. If you are staying anywhere nears these places, I would recommend HND...ditto for retrun to HND. I never take the bus.

2) I have found the immigration lines to be shorter in HND

3) On departing HND, the 'Priority' security line is usually empty and the Immigration lines are usually small.

4) I like the ANA lounge at HND- a nice view on the apron...Its a little crowded at times , but not too bad.

5) The view- You often have a great view of Metro Tokyo when landing at or departing HND. Hard to beat!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Seems like the plane difference may not be enough to make up for the location as we should be staying somewhere downtown. Lounge experience is not really a big deal as we prefer to spend more time outside if possible.

May have to do NRT anyway if there's no aeroplan awards for HND that day which would mean we'd have to stop at YVR or YYC and take the 789 anyway. Any comments on connecting at YVR or YYC? Any preference?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by viracocha
Any comments on connecting at YVR or YYC? Any preference?
I prefer YVR because of more options in case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Too bad you can't get ANA to HND. Very nice service IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: *$ Green
HND Pros:
-Close to downtown, can use Suica/PASMO and plenty of local rail options
-Less hectic than NRT
-More quickly out of the airport and through security

HND Cons:
-It's not a 787

----------------------------------

NRT Pros:
- It's a 787
- It's flight AC 001

NRT Cons:
- It's hot
- It's far
- Immigration is a mess
- Security is super slow AF
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:46 am

one of the airports (I want to say Haneda) has a nice open lounge area on the rooftop where you get a great view of the airport, worth a stop up there.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:48 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

NRT Cons:
- It's hot
- It's far
- Immigration is a mess
- Security is super slow AF
+1 to all of that. I sometimes feeling like I'm walking to downtown when I get off the plane.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
HND proximity to downtown is great with the Monorail. I've often done 8+ hr stopovers and got a full day in the downtown, without needing to worry about rushing back to the airport.

I do find that NRT, for whatever reason, has move inter-asia connections than HND. AC1 seems to be better aligned with connections than at HND.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
NRT Pros:
- It's flight AC 001
That's a funny Pro! I guess to some some it may be important to fly AC 001! LOL
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by sram
HND proximity to downtown is great with the Monorail. I've often done 8+ hr stopovers and got a full day in the downtown, without needing to worry about rushing back to the airport.

I do find that NRT, for whatever reason, has move inter-asia connections than HND. AC1 seems to be better aligned with connections than at HND.
Yeah NRT has way better connection options.

TBH, HND is way better suited for people going specifically to TYO, or connecting intra Japan. For example, you grt 1 connecting option to FUK from NRT, and hourly options at HND (huge plus for IRROPS).

You can tell by the demographic in AC1 vs AC5.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
That's a funny Pro! I guess to some some it may be important to fly AC 001! LOL
It's a good check mark to get! Probably the only flagship 001 route that is also seasonal lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.