AC itinerary doesn't match ticket

Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dread_specter
In theory every copy of every PNR should have all flights of all airlines. Every airline's PNR is important however, because it's those individual PNRs that hold space for each respective airline.
OK, I'll bite.

I currently have two tickets issued involving transatlantic legs with AC, and a few legs on Star airlines within Europe.

For the first one, aircanada.com misses one leg in Europe that was upgraded using SA upgrade (reminder was all in P). That corresponding airline shows the entire itinerary up to there, but misses the return on AC. Lufthansa shows precisely the same. Another web site that shows tickets based upon ticket number shows the complete itinerary with the upgraded leg still in Y, reminder in P.

Second itinerary, all in P, AC shows on each leg header "business class" but below, "Economy P." LH shows P as business and let me pick business class seats. Shows all legs.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
OK, I'll bite.

I currently have two tickets issued involving transatlantic legs with AC, and a few legs on Star airlines within Europe.

For the first one, aircanada.com misses one leg in Europe that was upgraded using SA upgrade (reminder was all in P). That corresponding airline shows the entire itinerary up to there, but misses the return on AC. Lufthansa shows precisely the same. Another web site that shows tickets based upon ticket number shows the complete itinerary with the upgraded leg still in Y, reminder in P.

Second itinerary, all in P, AC shows on each leg header "business class" but below, "Economy P." LH shows P as business and let me pick business class seats. Shows all legs.
It does make sense if my hunches are right.

The leg you upgraded with SA got upgraded on the local SA PNR, which didn't communicate back to AC. I can only assume that SA wasn't the ticket issuer, so the ticket hasn't been reissued with the upgraded segment either on a 083 (because airlines don't reissue tickets they haven't issued, except in IRROPs), so when you pull up the ticket number it shows the ticket as it was last issued. Since the airline's PNR overrides anything on the ticket, they'll put you in J at the time of boarding because this is the space that this PNR holds for you. The fact that LH would see it also doesn't really surprise me because they use a different reservation system that AC's, and bookings on the same system do communicate with each other, so they both got updated.
Does that make sense? without seeing the whole things it's hard to say.

For the second one, I think the AC header is to distinguish your P class from actual J (business low vs business flex).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dread_specter

For the second one, I think the AC header is to distinguish your P class from actual J (business low vs business flex).
However my wife's reward shows Business I.

(But seriously, no I am not concerned.)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
A major "Thank You" to everyone for giving me such detailed information. It is true, I am a total amateur concerning the reservations and ticketing process. I must admit, the complexity is daunting!

Please excuse me for not getting back here sooner: I have been out of WLAN range for quite awhile.

To answer the initial question from dread_specter, I booked the entire itinerary with United Mileage Plus, and made the changes with United Mileage Plus. No one else has (to my knowledge) made any changes in the itinerary.

The initial itinerary, booked by phone with United MP, had me flying STR-DUB-YYZ on EI and YYZ-YVR on AC, all that on Aug. 19, and finally on Aug. 30 YVR to LAX on AC. When I changed my plans, I changed the departure date to Aug. 16, changed the destination from YVR to YYC, and changed the carrier to STR-ZRH-LHR on LX, followed by LHR-YYC on AC, then on Aug. 30 YYC-LAX.

Upon arrival in Calgary, I went to the AC ticketing desk, where the agent looked up my reservation, saw the offending segment, said that it was an "info only" segment and would cause no problem in the reservation, and sent me on my way.

Now that I have access to the Internet again, I have read all of your replies. I must admit, I had no idea that the interchange between the various reservation systems was so complex. I can well imagine that an inexperienced UA agent did not make the changes in the exactly correct way.

Having been told by AC 3 times "not to worry", I didn't, until just now, when I read all the replies. So, my first action was to look at the AC web site. Unfortunately, it no longer finds my AC PNR. This is not good news. I guess the best I can do now is to call AC and ask what the status is.

Just a note to Often1: I did already see a UA reservations agent, and also spoke with a UA ticketing agent back on Aug. 16th. They cannot delete the EI segment because it has already been deleted. It no longer shows up at all in their PNR. They also cannot access the AC system directly. So calling them again won't yet help. If I call AC and they say that my YYC-LAX segment has been cancelled, then I will need to call UA and ask them to "do something!". I believe that, even with an award ticket, they have a responsibility to get me to my destination.

I'll update this when I know more. Thanks again to everybody!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
Everything worked out OK in the end...

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

I did call AC once more, 3 days before the planned flight. The agent was unable to find the PNR, but was able to find the itinerary with the E-Ticket number. She again said that I shouldn't worry, because the ticket governs everything. Although I didn't feel great about this, I decided to wait.

When I arrived at the airport, I went to the check-in counter and presented my E-Ticket receipt (didn't say a word about the PNR issue). They found my reservation and I walked away with BPs.

I am unable to explain what happened. However, perhaps I was too worried about a small glitch. Still, I generally prefer to be proactive, rather that to wait until things go wrong. Perhaps it was unnecessary this time...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: *$ Green
I dont think that would be a safe assumption.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by david7031
Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

I did call AC once more, 3 days before the planned flight. The agent was unable to find the PNR, but was able to find the itinerary with the E-Ticket number. She again said that I shouldn't worry, because the ticket governs everything. Although I didn't feel great about this, I decided to wait.

THIS- eticket number is the key to all of this IME. I have had what appear to be valid PNR's to all the agents who checked them that in fact had no ticket attached- something you only find out when you try to check in...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.