Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Passport purgatory

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
Air Canada Passport purgatory

I was flying to Panama and checked in at YYZ 100k desk. Supervisor call, small water stain on my passport. Supervisor allows me to use the passport one more time and warns me that I need a new passport before flying again internationally. Upon my return, I go to passport Canada to get a new one. They disagree, passport is not damaged enough to apply for replacement. I ask to renew, but they do not allow as there are 8 years left. They say they make the rules and not Air Canada.

After much pleading with a Passport Canada supervisor they give me a replacement passport. Strange situation.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Last time I checked, Passport Canada doesn't work at the airport. So therefore AC was correct and everyone else in the universe is wrong.

Glad you got your new passport, and hope it was worth the hassle.
j_the_p, longtimeflyin and Fizzer like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You absolutely qualify under Passport Canada's rules.

A passport is considered damaged if it:
  • makes it difficult to identify the holder
  • looks like it has been changed or falsified
  • has been denied by an airline or at a point of entry due to damage
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passpor...ost-stolen.asp
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Think I will make a habit of keeping my passport in a zip lock bag. Don't want the hassle that comes if you spill a bit of liquid on it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You absolutely qualify under Passport Canada's rules.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passpor...ost-stolen.asp
Technically he has not been denied entry yet.
balexis likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave510
Technically he has not been denied entry yet.
"Supervisor allows me to use the passport one more time and warns me that I need a new passport before flying again internationally."

OP was preemptively denied the next trip.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by IC Expert
I was flying to Panama and checked in at YYZ 100k desk. Supervisor call, small water stain on my passport. Supervisor allows me to use the passport one more time and warns me that I need a new passport before flying again internationally. Upon my return, I go to passport Canada to get a new one. They disagree, passport is not damaged enough to apply for replacement. I ask to renew, but they do not allow as there are 8 years left. They say they make the rules and not Air Canada.

After much pleading with a Passport Canada supervisor they give me a replacement passport. Strange situation.
Departing from Canada and AC only half of the equation here. You are travelling to a Country which has certain bureaucratic nuances. Their criteria may differ, and should you be deemed inadmissible, you could be turned around and the transporting airline held liable for costs and associated fines.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Thankfully you got your passport replaced but there would have been an easy enough solution to further damage it with a larger spill had you been denied.

I just replaced my passport as it was full (!)... and still had 7 years left before it expired. Agent was still suspicious and asked me why I wanted to get a new one...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Classic limbo situation. Passport has had a few "hard landings" as they tend to when you travel a lot. Some countries / airlines don't care as long as the ID page isn't damaged, but some are meticulous (ahem, Russia). But Passport Canada has a fairly high threshold for damage - I had a passport where the last six pages had been completely soaked, all the ink was blurred and some transferred to other pages, Indian immigration had hassled me about it, but they still refused replacement until it was time to renew. AC may have gone a little over board but better to play this one safe and get a replacement.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
these 10 year passports do require tender loving care and attention if they are going to make to expirey date. I was in the Caribbean recently, hotter than Hades, had my freshly minted 10 year passport get sweat soaked with the outer casing starting to curl, luckily the inside pages were fine, but Im not convinced it will make the 10 years without having to get a new one...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Easy solution if the passport agency might not replace it: Do some laundry. Leave it in your pocket.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While OP has not been denied entry, something that can only occur at the behest of a foreign government, not AC staff, the fact remains that it is the professional judgment of the AC staff that the passport may cause a problem, at least to Panamanian authorities.

Would seem foolish for Canadian authorities to deny a replacement passport until one has gone through the maw of being denied.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Speaking as someone whose friend managed to rip photo page (while in Russia incidently) he also had to get a new one.

Despite managing to leave Russia, re-enter Russia and return home without any issues.

I keep mine in a RFID case. And it's still damaged from various trips to consulates (especially China) and the delights of Russian immigration on the trans-Siberian railway at 2am. Your passport joins a pile of 50 and disappears for a few hours.

I have no idea why passport Canada would complain given the recent rule updates (to get more money).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by xray

I just replaced my passport as it was full (!)... and still had 7 years left before it expired. Agent was still suspicious and asked me why I wanted to get a new one...
Agent must be a dolt
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Here I am using a passport that I've run through the washer once or twice (forgot they were in my pants). Air Canada or any government entity has never told me to even get a new passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.