Go Back   > > >

Old Aug 12, 17, 1:28 pm   #1
Original Poster

Programs: AC
CIBC Aeroplan Card - double bonus? (CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite Privilege* Card)

Interesting terms and conditions for new card members of the $399 CIBC Aeroplan card

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lege-card.html

25,000 miles on first purchase, and bonus 25,000 miles after spending $1000 in 3 months if this is your first CIBC card. This seems a little silly to me that only net new CIBC cardholders would get this second bonus.

I know American Express policies have interesting terms and conditions when it comes to bonus welcome miles so I am wondering what people's experiences have been with this CIBC offer.

If you are an existing CIBC customer, and have recently signed up for this $399 card, did you get 50,000 miles total or 25,000 miles total?
longtimeflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 1:49 pm   #2

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
200K household income

Well damn
Jumper Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 1:55 pm   #3

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
I got this card earlier this year, and had held it previously. So, I wasn't a "current" customer of CIBC at the time of applying, but I wasn't "new" either... I was a "recent but former" customer. I had no problems with the additional bonus posting.
CanadaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 2:30 pm   #4

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, Fairmont Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
The other option could be phoning CIBC and trying to cut a deal with them to give you those bonus points. They've been flexible with things like waiving annual fees for good customers and so on, so it may be possible to do this.

My regular AeroGold Infinite is coming up for renewal in a few weeks, I might actually see whether I'd switch if they'd let me get the extra 25K points.
Adam Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 6:22 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
Interesting terms and conditions for new card members of the $399 CIBC Aeroplan card

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lege-card.html

25,000 miles on first purchase, and bonus 25,000 miles after spending $1000 in 3 months if this is your first CIBC card. This seems a little silly to me that only net new CIBC cardholders would get this second bonus.

I know American Express policies have interesting terms and conditions when it comes to bonus welcome miles so I am wondering what people's experiences have been with this CIBC offer.

If you are an existing CIBC customer, and have recently signed up for this $399 card, did you get 50,000 miles total or 25,000 miles total?
Correct. The additional 25,000 points are only awarded to those who have never had a CIBC credit card. If one has any type of CIBC credit card at any time is automatically disqualified.

It's a very misleading promotion.

+
Attached Images

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 12, 17 at 6:30 pm
Clipper801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 6:40 pm   #6
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
200K household income

Well damn
While this is unrelated to the topic at hand, because I have been banking with CIBC my entire life they keep on trying to get me to signup for this card. CIBC full well knows my income and it's nowhere even remotely close to that as I no longer participate in the workforce fully. My account manager has told me that it's not a requirement set in stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
If one has any type of CIBC credit card at any time is automatically disqualified.
Precisely the info I needed. Thank you
longtimeflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 17, 8:07 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
While this is unrelated to the topic at hand, because I have been banking with CIBC my entire life they keep on trying to get me to signup for this card. CIBC full well knows my income and it's nowhere even remotely close to that as I no longer participate in the workforce fully. My account manager has told me that it's not a requirement set in stone.

Precisely the info I needed. Thank you
Check with your account relationship manager. S/he may have some discretion to give you the extra 25,000 points bonus.

It's a good card to have if one does not have Altitude status and flies a few times on AC each year.
Clipper801 is offline   Reply With Quote