AC34 Sydney-Vancouver-Toronto

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You have been given incorrect information. AC034 SYD-YVR delay doesn't necessarily mean AC034 YVR-YYZ will also be delayed.

I have seen on several occasions where SYD-YVR has been 3-4 hours late, and they fin-swapped AC034 YVR-YYZ to something else (flown as AC2034) and then upguaged a later flight with the 77L that was supposed to fly YVR-YYZ.
Yes, it often happens that AC 34 YVR-YYZ operates "on time" with a different aircraft but as AC 34, not 2034. SYD originating pax will be transferred to a "later" flight, in all likelihood operated by the SYD-YVR aircraft with the flight number of an already scheduled flight. If the delay is known in SYD, they will rebook the YVR-YYZ portion and issue appropriate BPs. Of course this messes up seating YVR-YYZ. (Normally only one BP is issued SYD-YYZ despite the YVR stop.)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You have been given incorrect information. AC034 SYD-YVR delay doesn't necessarily mean AC034 YVR-YYZ will also be delayed.

I have seen on several occasions where SYD-YVR has been 3-4 hours late, and they fin-swapped AC034 YVR-YYZ to something else (flown as AC2034) and then upguaged a later flight with the 77L that was supposed to fly YVR-YYZ.
Sure. But the scenario of *major* delays that result in an AC34 fin swap is not exactly one you're going to plan in advance for as a passenger. Generally the issue with connection time is when your 1:30 gets squeezed by a late inbound, which AC34 is somewhat immune from. When it arrives an hour late, like it did last Friday, it also leaves YVR an hour late. If it arrives 5 hours late, well, you were missing your connection anyway even if you'd booked on AC110 or 112 etc
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
People quote in absolutes, when absolutes are not accurate. I agree I wouldn't plan on the YVR-YYZ segment leaving before the SYD-YVR arrives, but saying that it doesn't happen is factually incorrect.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Back in the old days, when they would Line Break 34, they would toss a 763 on it and all SYD pax get moved around to other flights or they do a 2xxx flight

It depends on not only the delay ex SYD but if there is any delays into YYZ

I had a flight on 34 where we were delayed, line broken and YYZ had snow.

Had to spend the day in YVR before I was able to fly out
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gogie
Excellent point. I knew it was the same plane but I hadn't thought it through far enough to realize a delay on the inbound means the YVR-YYZ outbound would necessarily be delayed as well. Thanks for the quick response.

Just as an aside, I am considering one other option, which currently prices out at ~$1,000 less per person. I've been looking at CX (Cathay Pacific) as an alternative to AC. The downside to CX is that the travel time is increased by several hours (5 - 6 each way) with a connection in Hong Kong. The upside (at least as far as I can glean from a bit of sleuthing on the internet) is that the CX product is significantly superior to AC. Anyone have any views on this they'd like to share?
Sat two seats over from a guy that did this, was less than half the price. Downside was he was a big dude, bigger than me, and we were in economy. He saved half the price of his ticket, over a grand doing this.

The FA took the little tiny Asian girl seated between us (combined weight about 500lbs) and moved her elsewhere. We were quite happy, she was quite happy, win win.
​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.