Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC34 Sydney-Vancouver-Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Thanks for your thoughts -- sounds like a pretty good experience!

Apart from the lunch and pre-landing breakfast in AC33/34J, how substantial are the mid-flight snacks? Are they comparable at all to some Asian carriers serving "snacks" that could be small meals, or are they less substantial? I haven't flown Australia to North America before, but it seems like quite a long route for there to be just the same two meals that they serve on a trans-Atlantic route...
It's a long haul route, they'll have the snack basket up front. Packs of chips and potentially even some kit kats. Depends on how many flyers are collecting them for their grandchildren.

I find the best approach is to eat the first meal and then try and sleep for a decent length of time. Depends if you can sleep of course, and with the time change being what it is I don't know what times they dim the lights on these.

For 34 that leaves early local time (10am SYD = 8pm YYZ) and gets in the afternoon, I'd want to sleep after the first meal as I like to adjust to the new timezone as soon as possible. Of course leaving at 10am means you need to be sat somewhere where the person next to you doesn't have the blinds fully open.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Thanks for your thoughts -- sounds like a pretty good experience!

Apart from the lunch and pre-landing breakfast in AC33/34J, how substantial are the mid-flight snacks? Are they comparable at all to some Asian carriers serving "snacks" that could be small meals, or are they less substantial? I haven't flown Australia to North America before, but it seems like quite a long route for there to be just the same two meals that they serve on a trans-Atlantic route...
As mentioned in my post up-thread, there's a selection of (cold and warm) mid-flight snacks such as sandwiches, salads and soups.

If you go to the int'l J menu thread, I'm sure you can find a detailed menu for AC 15/16 (YYZ-HKG). Delete the dim sum from that menu and maybe add a different type of sandwich, and it should be very similar to the AC33/34 snack menu.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:34 pm

What happens in Vancouver? Just collect passengers or something more?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC35K
You have to deplane and go through customs via domestic connections and re-board, in some cases the same aircraft.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by TorontoGooner
You have to deplane and go through customs via domestic connections and re-board, in some cases the same aircraft.
Not some cases, other than a major delay/line break, 34 is always the same bird
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Not some cases, other than a major delay/line break, 34 is always the same bird
And when that happens it's usually re-numbered AC2034.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by TorontoGooner
Hi,

Thinking of doing this flight all the way from SYD-YYZ. Do we arrive at the international gates, go through border/customs, then proceed to domestic gates as if we were transferring elsewhere in Canada? Operationally in terms of the same aircraft, how does this work?

Does that mean the plane lets everybody off at the international gate then moves to the domestic gates to collect the same passengers who continue onward? What about for regular customers who fly YVR -> YYZ? Are they able to purchase a seat on this plane?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bryan Tran
Hi,

Thinking of doing this flight all the way from SYD-YYZ. Do we arrive at the international gates, go through border/customs, then proceed to domestic gates as if we were transferring elsewhere in Canada? Operationally in terms of the same aircraft, how does this work?

Does that mean the plane lets everybody off at the international gate then moves to the domestic gates to collect the same passengers who continue onward?
YVR has gates that can be used for both international and domestic, so you can arrive, go through customs etc, then back through security and to the domestic area and re-board the same plane without the plane moving.

What about for regular customers who fly YVR -> YYZ? Are they able to purchase a seat on this plane?
AC sells tickets on both 33 and 34 as normal domestic flights.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm considering AC 33 - AC 34 for a trip to Australia next February (YYZ-YVR-SYD and back) in J. My only concern with AC 34 is the connection time in YVR. AC shows the connection time as 1:30. Is that enough time to comfortably collect baggage, clear Canada customs and re-board the aircraft? Do you have to go through security in YVR before getting to the gate for the YVR-YYZ leg of the trip? If it makes a difference, my wife and I both have Nexus/Global Entry.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Gogie
I'm considering AC 33 - AC 34 for a trip to Australia next February (YYZ-YVR-SYD and back) in J. My only concern with AC 34 is the connection time in YVR. AC shows the connection time as 1:30. Is that enough time to comfortably collect baggage, clear Canada customs and re-board the aircraft? Do you have to go through security in YVR before getting to the gate for the YVR-YYZ leg of the trip? If it makes a difference, my wife and I both have Nexus/Global Entry.
When you fly SYD-YVR-YYZ you're taking the same plane all the way to Toronto. If the flight from SYD is delayed the YVR-YYZ segment will be delayed as well.

You have to re-clear security after going through Immigration and Customs. 1:30 is plenty especially with Nexus, since you don't have to worry about your inbound being delayed.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
When you fly SYD-YVR-YYZ you're taking the same plane all the way to Toronto. If the flight from SYD is delayed the YVR-YYZ segment will be delayed as well.

You have to re-clear security after going through Immigration and Customs. 1:30 is plenty especially with Nexus, since you don't have to worry about your inbound being delayed.
not always true. They have fin swapped AC034 before if SYD-YVR is running late.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I am flying the same route in June and I opted for AC34 to AC112 with a 3 hour layover instead. This allows us plenty of times to clear custom, relax and shower in MLL before jumping on a plane for another 5 hours
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eigenvector

Excellent point. I knew it was the same plane but I hadn't thought it through far enough to realize a delay on the inbound means the YVR-YYZ outbound would necessarily be delayed as well. Thanks for the quick response.

Just as an aside, I am considering one other option, which currently prices out at ~$1,000 less per person. I've been looking at CX (Cathay Pacific) as an alternative to AC. The downside to CX is that the travel time is increased by several hours (5 - 6 each way) with a connection in Hong Kong. The upside (at least as far as I can glean from a bit of sleuthing on the internet) is that the CX product is significantly superior to AC. Anyone have any views on this they'd like to share?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Excellent point. I knew it was the same plane but I hadn't thought it through far enough to realize a delay on the inbound means the YVR-YYZ outbound would necessarily be delayed as well. Thanks for the quick response.
You have been given incorrect information. AC034 SYD-YVR delay doesn't necessarily mean AC034 YVR-YYZ will also be delayed.

I have seen on several occasions where SYD-YVR has been 3-4 hours late, and they fin-swapped AC034 YVR-YYZ to something else (flown as AC2034) and then upguaged a later flight with the 77L that was supposed to fly YVR-YYZ.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
You do not need to collect baggage. It will be transferred (or stay on the aircraft) and only brought for inspection upon request of CBSA.
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.