Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Need Suggestions on Flights to India in F

Question: Need Suggestions on Flights to India in F

Old Aug 10, 17, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Need Suggestions on Flights to India in F

I'm planning a trip to India some time in late November in F. Trying to find a carrier to avoid the scam charges (YQ) as it's almost $1500 on LH or A.C. Also would like to avoid UA, though may consider it as the new Polaris product is OK. Any suggestions on unusual routings that aren't used often. I'm not adverse to multiple overnights or stopovers along the way or return, in fact I actually enjoy them. Any suggestions I should look at? Can fly out of any Canadian city and into any Indian city.
Old Aug 10, 17, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by oiboy View Post
I'm planning a trip to India some time in late November in F. Trying to find a carrier to avoid the scam charges (YQ) as it's almost $1500 on LH or A.C. Also would like to avoid UA, though may consider it as the new Polaris product is OK. Any suggestions on unusual routings that aren't used often. I'm not adverse to multiple overnights or stopovers along the way or return, in fact I actually enjoy them. Any suggestions I should look at? Can fly out of any Canadian city and into any Indian city.
Route via Pacific.

AI and CA are the two non-scamchargeable airlines with award F realistically available.

NH and OZ have scamcharges, but much lower than LH.
Old Aug 10, 17, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by echino View Post
Route via Pacific.

AI and CA are the two non-scamchargeable airlines with award F realistically available.

NH and OZ have scamcharges, but much lower than LH.
While AI and CA have no YQ both their hard product and CA's soft product is horrible in F. Not sure if things drastically improved since 2015 but last lime I flew on CA the service food and plane were really terrible. AI was better as the food was ok and the service great but still not up to par with most international J flights I flew and it was in FC. I've had better flights on UA and OZ in J.
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Tried to book flights for similar trip in J a little while back for Oct/Nov 2017. Couldn't find anything worth while (connections, bad airlines, high YQ). So I ended up just booking this in a paid PY on AC direct. Was $2K return per person only. Yes I'd prefer a lie flat but not for a 30 hour travel time and $1000pp+ in charges.

Ill save my points for our next trip to Asia where redemptions are easier and cheaper.
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:59 pm

While AI and CA have no YQ both their hard product and CA's soft product is horrible in F. Not sure if things drastically improved since 2015 but last lime I flew on CA the service food and plane were really terrible. AI was better as the food was ok and the service great but still not up to par with most international J flights I flew and it was in FC. I've had better flights on UA and OZ in J.
True, so fly OZ F or NH F over Pacific, then connect direct to India in J, or via BKK / SIN in F. You will pay a scamcharge, but will get much better flights than CA or AI.
Old Aug 10, 17, 3:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Although if you fly AI there's a good chance you'll be the only person in F.

That said I'd fly OZ or NZ myself and pay the extra.
Old Aug 10, 17, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by echino View Post
True, so fly OZ F or NH F over Pacific, then connect direct to India in J, or via BKK / SIN in F. You will pay a scamcharge, but will get much better flights than CA or AI.
Or book something now and then in the T-14 window, switch to LH F (e.g. you can fly the A380 FRA-DEL or 74H FRA-BLR, and the 388/74H from quite a few US cities). Yes you'll pay hefty scamcharges, but it's the one product I can swallow them as it really is a world-class F product in the air and on the ground - the FCT is worth experiencing at least once.
Old Aug 14, 17, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Think I may have to bite the bullet and do this. Now to find a convoluted routing to FRA to at least avoid scam charges there....
Old Aug 14, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Any way to use BR (most of the way at least), say with YVR or YYZ-TPE then on to SIN and then over to Indin? Could do it in J that way and BR J is likely better than AI F.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:53 am
Original Poster

going to do OZ via LAX on a 380 then via SQ from there.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
going to do OZ via LAX on a 380 then via SQ from there.
That should be a pretty awesome trip assuming you're up front.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: