Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC op-ups non-status pax before S100K (YYZ-LGA, W&B)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC op-ups non-status pax before S100K (YYZ-LGA, W&B)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jlisi984
I would have been SOL.
A bit extreme.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Weight & Balance
Happens to me quite often. Seated in 1D on Dash 100 and "volunteer" from row 1 or 2 required to move back. No big deal
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
A bit extreme.
I also think OP would have been SOL if BPs already distributed.

Weight and balance issue would have been solved and that would have been that. Once again, procedures should be in place that make it clear how the GA should be doing this.... Some of us think it should be by status and others think it should be solely based on the seating on the plane. Yet others think it should be a type of reverse discrimination (with those without status selected to incentivize them)... (last comment was tongue in cheek RCHHMP)
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by xray
I also think OP would have been SOL if BPs already distributed.

Weight and balance issue would have been solved and that would have been that. Once again, procedures should be in place that make it clear how the GA should be doing this.... Some of us think it should be by status and others think it should be solely based on the seating on the plane. Yet others think it should be a type of reverse discrimination (with those without status selected to incentivize them)... (last comment was tongue in cheek RCHHMP)
It is my stance, as noted upthread, that the agate agent should have prioritized the upgrade for the original poster and I agree with him/her. I just feel like saying someone is SOL is a bit extreme given the fact that the jlisi would have still made it to the destination. People have survived sitting in economy class I hear.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: FT
Yes I'm completely aware of this. However there was no note appended and even the concierge had to make some more phone calls. Crew were also completely surprised by delay.

Regarding the upgrade, the reason this all worked was because boarding passes were not handed out. That's a big difference. If they had been handed out already, I would have been SOL.
Jan, I think you raised a very legitimate issue with the inappropriate actions by the gate staff. Given the race to the bottom in terms of benefits of AC, the least they could do is help out those that actually give them a good amount of business.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
It is my stance, as noted upthread, that the agate agent should have prioritized the upgrade for the original poster and I agree with him/her. I just feel like saying someone is SOL is a bit extreme given the fact that the jlisi would have still made it to the destination. People have survived sitting in economy class I hear.
I take it to mean he would be SOL when it comes to securing an opup... nothing more, nothing less.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by knotseh
CBP pre-clearance at YYZ closes at 2100. AC and other airlines using T1 pre-clearance never post a time of the flight past 2100 in order to ensure everyone is past and cleared prior to them closing.
Yes I'm completely aware of this. However there was no note appended and even the concierge had to make some more phone calls. Crew were also completely surprised by delay.
That's intended; crews are meant to be deceived as much as passengers, in order that there be zero chance that they too miss the closing of CBP pre-clearance.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by jjclancy
That's intended; crews are meant to be deceived as much as passengers, in order that there be zero chance that they too miss the closing of CBP pre-clearance.
When there is a delay in YOW that puts you in a zone where pre-clearance will be closed United will post the delay but note the time that you have to be through pre-clearance. e.g. Flight is delayed to 22h but you need to be though customs & security by 21h.

Haven't had this happen with an AC flight to the US out of YOW, but using this example there is no reason they have to be deceiving anyone (out of YOW or YYZ or anywhere else...).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Overbookings are not the same as weight and balance.

With an overbooking, there's never a reason not to go in order of status.

As was mentioned upthread, for W&B, it's easier if they move someone from the back of the plane up front.
I see your point. Except, if you need to move people from the back to the front, for any reason whatsoever, priorities should be respected.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What are those 'priorities'? Are they set in stone somewhere?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Ok ok, this happened to me in Havana years ago before it was rogued. The check in agents had their friends upgraded and when I asked was told no upgrades today as the flight was full, bs. I sent a letter to AC and was told they will monitor HAV and advise the staff about procedures. If you look for my past posts you will find my story.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I just boarded 7736 MSP-YYZ. Oversold in Y. Since it was UA agents they didn't process the onload list prior to boarding (the agent appeared to be new to AC flights). When my BP was scanned, I was assigned my new op-up seat in J. System worked as designed other than being given the BP ahead of boarding.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: TK *G
I don't completely blame the GA. If the GA moved all the E and SE to J and then moved people from the back to fill in the holes, people would complain they are not sitting together anymore, or they lost their window/aisle seats, etc. And there will likely be a CBC article about it
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
SOL definition is sh!! out of luck - I meant this in terms of the opup and not the flight.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So I can't speak to the whole situation, but I do know here at YVR US-Preclear closes at 2000-2030, so no US departures have delays posted past that. The reasoning being, they don't want passengers to hang out in the food court or whatever and then get stuck because they can't clear customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.