Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC - AC denies boarding to Mom with infant twins - 2017/07/26

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC - AC denies boarding to Mom with infant twins - 2017/07/26

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems to me the story as usual is not quite as we are being told?

Thw woman does not say she booked on the phone. My guess is, she booked on aircanada.com, as two adults and two lap children, and she *then* phoned twice to check. Knowing she was bending the rules.

At which point the agent who answered, rather than paying attention, probably looked at the file which seemed OK.

Sre, th agents should have listened. But if that's what happened, then most of the blame sits with the mother.

BTW if booking on the phone I would imagine the agent would more or less see the same message.
The linked article quoted in post 12 says pax made booking with AC agent over the phone so not only did the AC agent that made the reservation err so did the second agent who looked at the file when the pax called in later to double check all was okay.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jc94
Think we're still one thread per CBC?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/p...ight-1.4222088

My two cents? AC shouldn't allow this to be booked if it's not permitted. It's hard enough to book anything on AC.
The link in the OP doesn't work for me, although it seems to work from the quote.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
Hmmm.

If you try booking one adult, one child and two lap babies on aircanada.com, message pops up:

Given the speed of AC IT updating, I seriously doubt this was added to the web site between yesterday and today...

Seems to me the story as usual is not quite as we are being told?

Thw woman does not say she booked on the phone. My guess is, she booked on aircanada.com, as two adults and two lap children, and she *then* phoned twice to check. Knowing she was bending the rules.

At which point the agent who answered, rather than paying attention, probably looked at the file which seemed OK.

Sre, th agents should have listened. But if that's what happened, then most of the blame sits with the mother.

BTW if booking on the phone I would imagine the agent would more or less see the same message.
I too suspect that she may be less than forthcoming with all the details. AC has prominently displayed these rules on their website for at least 7 years (my daughter is 7) and I suspect well before my own precious bundle came into being. I've never been able to book a lap baby online with AC and as you need to enter the DOB on the child's passport in the booking form, unless you enter it incorrectly to force the record to reflect a 2 year old or older, the system does indeed pop up with an error message (that a child is between 2 and 11 yrs) and you cannot proceed with the booking. I too seriously doubt AC leapt into action to reprogram basic logic so quickly.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Why isn't anyone talking about how AC dealt with it after the check in? I think their offer is VERY generous
I mentioned it. Guess it got buried in the other discussion.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
I too suspect that she may be less than forthcoming with all the details. AC has prominently displayed these rules on their website for at least 7 years (my daughter is 7) and I suspect well before my own precious bundle came into being. I've never been able to book a lap baby online with AC and as you need to enter the DOB on the child's passport in the booking form, unless you enter it incorrectly to force the record to reflect a 2 year old or older, the system does indeed pop up with an error message (that a child is between 2 and 11 yrs) and you cannot proceed with the booking. I too seriously doubt AC leapt into action to reprogram basic logic so quickly.
You are not able to book it online so she called and booked through an AC agent. Regardless, less than forthcoming with what? She was able to book the ticket, confirmed with multiple agents, showed up at the airport where they checked her bags, presumably printed boarding cards before there was an issue? What more should she have done in your opinion? And what was she less forthcoming with?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stinger
You are not able to book it online so she called and booked through an AC agent. Regardless, less than forthcoming with what? She was able to book the ticket, confirmed with multiple agents, showed up at the airport where they checked her bags, presumably printed boarding cards before there was an issue? What more should she have done in your opinion? And what was she less forthcoming with?
It sounds like she tried her best to make sure she was following all rules and regulations.

AC made a mistake.

AC is doing it's best to correct the mistake.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
It sounds like she tried her best to make sure she was following all rules and regulations.

AC made a mistake.

AC is doing it's best to correct the mistake.
Agreed, was just trying to understand how one accuses the lady of not being forthcoming with information. Nice to see AC trying their best to make things right.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:38 am

With all of the discussions that were had with AC - she called twice after all so she was clearly anxious about it. This is not a new policy and the computer will not allow the seats to be sold - it will return an error if you try and book an infant as a child in a separate seat once you enter the infant's DOB. Who knows - there would have had to be a reason for a manual override of the system and only the parties involved know - perhaps the agent thought it was not an enforced policy and made assurances to that. Perhaps the parent said another adult on a separate PNR would be joining her?? I don't know. What I do know is that it is never usually as cut and dried as reported.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:43 am

Agreed, was just trying to understand how one accuses the lady of not being forthcoming with information. Nice to see AC trying their best to make things right.
I gather you accept all articles and claims at face value. There was obviously something wrong somewhere - I would be surprised if AC agents could override their system but stranger things have happened. Sorry if it offends you that I "accused" this women of not necessarily providing all of the information. If we are not supposed to discuss and dissect issues that happen with AC, just post this stuff for informational purposes and don't allow comments.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I have to admit, I think AC handled this pretty well. Yes, there was a mistake but to be fair it was a Transport Canada rule, not an AC one.

I wonder if all the CBC articles are starting to impact their cognitive abilities and they are changing to become more proactive, or, did this lady find a rare but excellent customer service person who got in front of the issue.

I'd say good job AC.

.........too bad for me, I was hoping to jump on the "bash-AC bandwagon" again. But good for AC and the customer.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Nexus
I was in an extremely similar position a number of years ago. I was trying to book tickets for my two children to fly unaccompanied, ages nine and seven. Short flight, less than an hour. Kicker was that the older son had a severe peanut allergy, and carried an epipen. Well-versed in how to use it, etc., etc.

I phoned Westjet first, and they said kids with epipens couldn't fly unaccompanied. Then I phoned AC reservations, and they said yup, no problem. Even made a note on the reservation that I would speak to the gate agent and FA to go over things. All good.

Except I get to the gate and am told, uh, no, it's against policy for kids with epipens to fly unaccompanied. So, clearly someone at the AC call centre screwed up by selling me the ticket without knowing the full regulations, and caused me a great deal of distress (I may have made a scene, and I still remember my youngest kid bursting into tears: "You mean, we can't go see Grandma????")

So, long story short, kids didn't board the flight. I went and bought a ticket at the airport and flew with them and then turned around and flew back. Happy ending, though...after some back-and-forth, AC compensated me for the ticket I purchased for myself, airport parking, a day of lost wages, and some flight credits. I can't fault the airline for its response.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I have to admit, I think AC handled this pretty well.
I would very much disagree.

I wonder if all the CBC articles are starting to impact their cognitive abilities and they are changing to become more proactive, or, did this lady find a rare but excellent customer service person who got in front of the issue.
In front of the issue? You mean the issue that AC created themselves? Seems to me and it's merely MHO they were playing catch-up from the very first reservation error.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
I gather you accept all articles and claims at face value. There was obviously something wrong somewhere - I would be surprised if AC agents could override their system but stranger things have happened. Sorry if it offends you that I "accused" this women of not necessarily providing all of the information. If we are not supposed to discuss and dissect issues that happen with AC, just post this stuff for informational purposes and don't allow comments.
I think it is more the AC can do no wrong attitude you have, I've been around a long time, AC has both gone above and beyond with me and at times has fell short, I don't harbour any ill will towards AC and still enjoy their service where it makes sense for me...just get a little sick and tired of people always blaming the pax, she must have known, she was probably trying to game the system, etc. Mistake was made, take responsibility and move on

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 27, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reason: snark
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:43 pm

I think it is more the AC can do no wrong attitude you have
Not entirely sure where you are getting that from. I too have been around quite sometime - despite having a 7 year old later in life. I don't think AC can do no wrong - I travel quite a bit and I've seen both good and bad. Given the fact that this is a long standing rule and the added complexity of booking infants in a separate seat without the corresponding number of adults, I simply suspect that there is a little bit more to the story than presented. Please note too that the article is strictly from the passenger's POV - not that I would expect anything but the most bland statement from AC regardless.

While my initial sympathy is almost always for the passenger/customer, I've learned to approach most of these stories with a little bit of cynicism. The customer is not always right, the "evil" corporation is not always wrong, the world is not black and white.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Canuckian
I was in an extremely similar position a number of years ago. I was trying to book tickets for my two children to fly unaccompanied, ages nine and seven. Short flight, less than an hour. Kicker was that the older son had a severe peanut allergy, and carried an epipen. Well-versed in how to use it, etc., etc.

I phoned Westjet first, and they said kids with epipens couldn't fly unaccompanied. Then I phoned AC reservations, and they said yup, no problem. Even made a note on the reservation that I would speak to the gate agent and FA to go over things. All good.

Except I get to the gate and am told, uh, no, it's against policy for kids with epipens to fly unaccompanied. So, clearly someone at the AC call centre screwed up by selling me the ticket without knowing the full regulations, and caused me a great deal of distress (I may have made a scene, and I still remember my youngest kid bursting into tears: "You mean, we can't go see Grandma????")

So, long story short, kids didn't board the flight. I went and bought a ticket at the airport and flew with them and then turned around and flew back. Happy ending, though...after some back-and-forth, AC compensated me for the ticket I purchased for myself, airport parking, a day of lost wages, and some flight credits. I can't fault the airline for its response.
That is also a pretty good resolution. We don't tend to hear effective and responsive service recovery cases, just the service fails and recovery fails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.