Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Guest Lounge Passes not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, IHG-Pt, HH-D, BW-D

Is it true that the MLL guest passes are not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

If so, is this the first year of this restriction? I gave a couple passes to a friend a year ago and he apparently used them on his flight to NRT, which I'm told was a direct flight from YYZ to NRT.

Cheers
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by macmet
Is it true that the MLL guest passes are not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

If so, is this the first year of this restriction?
Sadly yes, and yes.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Sadly yes, and yes.
What?
Why is this? The times I've been in there have been less crowded than domestic MLLs. What's the rationale?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Yes, my girlfriend ran into this last week.

The domestic lounge in YVR is pretty much just around the corner. I told my GF to go to that lounge with the guest pass, I really wasn't sure if it would work seeing as she had a boarding pass for LHR. Anyway, she said she got into the domestic lounge without any issues.

Last edited by jjava; Apr 21, 2014 at 11:38 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What?
Why is this? The times I've been in there have been less crowded than domestic MLLs. What's the rationale?
According to AC, apparently Altitude members asked for more exclusivity in the international MLLs.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What?
How should I know? I´m just a lowly SE with no understanding of business whatsoever.

IIRC the reason AC gave was "exclusivity". I guess there were two reasons:

1) access to the int´l MLL was the most "valuable" use of the MLL passes, so cutting that benefits presumably saves some costs
2) int´l lounges being overcrowded is indeed a problem. CDG and LHR are a zoo moszt of the time, YUL at night is outright unpleasant IMO, YYZ and YVR also tend to be very crowded during peak times.

Then again, several of my friends/family only booked AC in the past so they could use my MLL passes, so AC also generated some incremental revenue.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
2) int´l lounges being overcrowded is indeed a problem. CDG and LHR are a zoo moszt of the time, YUL at night is outright unpleasant IMO, YYZ and YVR also tend to be very crowded during peak times.
Fair to say this new restriction is a net benefit to heavy users of the lounge like you?
While not good for my friends/fam, if it works for the people like you who butter AC's bread, that's all that matters.

Have people noticed an appreciable reduction in MLL crowds of late?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair to say this new restriction is a net benefit to heavy users of the lounge like you?
While not good for my friends/fam, if it works for the people like you who butter AC's bread, that's all that matters.

Have people noticed an appreciable reduction in MLL crowds of late?
Hard to say IMO whether the lounges are less crowded since the restriction has only been in place for 6 weeks.

Personally, I don´t feel too strongly about the change either way. It was nice to give away the MLL passes to friends/family, but if it reduces the crowds that´s great, though I´m not sure the % of guests entering using a pass was really that large.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Unfortunately at the same time everyone out there with an Aeroplan credit card has been mailed a free reward ticket MLL pass, which includes international lounges.

Although the taxes associated with an international Y ticket is prohibitive, so we'll likely see these reward passes used for domestic and transborder.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moz

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Cant believe that the passes AC gave me can't be used when traveling internationally

Cant believe that the passes they gave me cant be used when traveling internationally. I have a friend flying to LHR tomorrow and was going to give them a pass when I read the small print.

Why would AC remove international lounge access???
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because they are too crowded?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Because it's that good...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
You can also pay $25-$50 for Lat/PY or Flex.
But not Tango.

The major Canadian Intl are sometimes worth $25, but it varies. LHR MLL is definitely worth $25, I might even spring out $50 just to avoid the chaos of the terminal and their breakfast is epic.
Just my opinion of course.

I do wish one could use maybe 2 vouchers for Intl options.

Alternatively, get them to fly out of say YHZ where there is only one lounge and you can use a voucher Even on a Tango intl icket.

Of course, the YHZ lounge lounge is only worth about $5.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Moz
Cant believe that the passes they gave me cant be used when traveling internationally. I have a friend flying to LHR tomorrow and was going to give them a pass when I read the small print.

Why would AC remove international lounge access???
Its been this way for some time. Why are you surprised ? Assuming they are flying from YYZ Term 1, the AC lounge is the only option since PP is under renovation.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I don't remember when those passes HAD International lounge access. Those who have more history, when was that dropped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.