Wiki Posts
Search

AC starving AE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Technically if u spend that much you should really not be jumping through all those hoops to redeem the miles.
So I spend $20k, and now I should be able to get a round-trip for 8 people YYZ-SYD?

10 times a year?

On exactly the flights I want?

In J?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
December-ish to December-ish
As in, they pick some random date for the cut-off that is arbitrary. They don't tell you. As in, a real class act company with integrity.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Technically if u spend that much you should really not be jumping through all those hoops to redeem the miles.

=
Spend how much? It's not about redeeming miles, but want something above that. Just because there is 1 J seat open on a flight, doesn't mean a SE is entitled to it on points.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by RangerNS
To be clear, I called AP attempting to spend more AP miles to switch from Y to J. It already was one of my 10 SE "priority" rewards. I wasn't asking for anything for free.

I booked before I've switched from "mostly" to "always" travel, collecting points like a crazy person, and before the divorce was announced.
But "priority" rewards do not give you availability on every seat on a flight.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
To be clear, I called AP attempting to spend more AP miles to switch from Y to J. It already was one of my 10 SE "priority" rewards. I wasn't asking for anything for free.
You seem like a person who would be interested in market fare rewards.

I concur that AC may in fact be starving Aeroplan on rewards that are non market fare ones.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
This is literally the second flight I've booked with AP, lifetime. I'm offering up a single, possibly irrelevant, data point. If I'm not entitled to "R" space, so be it. I don't know what that means, and it is only a week out: I wasn't expecting magic to happen. Without thinking too hard about the relative value of AP points vs eUps and cash, the X-class YYZ/LAS segments with eUp+cash @ check in might be a better value, anyway.

If there is some other magic class AC is restricting from AP, that is interesting.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I spend $20k, and now I should be able to get a round-trip for 8 people YYZ-SYD?
10 times a year?
On exactly the flights I want?
In J?
I don't interpret his point as you do. I see it as a general reference to the difficulty of booking "reward" travel.

The OP's concern hits home with me.
I am not SE, just a lowly 50K. I can rarely get a decent J flight to one of my usual destinations and when I can find something, it has one or all of the following characteristics;
- Undesirable routing and departure times;
- High fees and additional charges
- 30-75% of the trip in Y although a J redemption is charged
- Flights offered on the *A bottom tier carriers (e.g. Air India, EgyptAir)

Over the past 18 months, I have observed that is has become far more difficult to obtain a basic J long haul reward. SEs are treated better than lowly 50k plebs like myself, so I don't doubt that the system can work for some. However, IMO for the majority of Aeroplan participants who are not SE, and who fly business class, the availability just isn't there. And yes, I know that AP says it provides many flights. This reminds me of AC explaining away its "fuel surcharges". I expect that the class action on these charges will address that. (See notice you received this week.) By the same token, I anticipate a class action against Aeroplan at some point which will address its seat inventory.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I concur that AC may in fact be starving Aeroplan on rewards that are non market fare ones.
AC is contractually obliged to sell a certain number of seats to AE at a price that apparently is ridiculous. So they would not sell anything over the quota. Nor can they sell less.

However it may be that on the other side of the equation, AE is selling ever more miles so that the demand for rewards is going up. And of course AE does not care if these miles become useless at least as regular rewards are concerned. Bottom line, AC cannot starve AE. AE however is presiding over mile inflation. And ultimately yet another devaluation.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
I was under the belief that this x% is not x% on every flight but rather x% based on route. So the available seats could all be on a day that nobody wants.
Is it based on route or system-wide? I think is system-wide. There may be a higher percentage of redemption availability on less popular routes than the more popular routes but on balance, the X% is achieved but juggling the no.

Also for sure not X% of Y inventory plus X% of J inventory.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
They do in Y

Originally Posted by Stranger
AC is contractually obliged to sell a certain number of seats to AE at a price that apparently is ridiculous. So they would not sell anything over the quota. Nor can they sell less.

However it may be that on the other side of the equation, AE is selling ever more miles so that the demand for rewards is going up. And of course AE does not care if these miles become useless at least as regular rewards are concerned. Bottom line, AC cannot starve AE. AE however is presiding over mile inflation. And ultimately yet another devaluation.
Perfect explanation.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I am booking 3 to 4 months out and even when I utilize my few Priority Bookings I still cannot get what I want.

In my experience, this is actually the worst time for AE availability...

Not sure that's good evidence of AC starving AE. I've had no problem with several bookings recently.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I would think so. But I'd also think they could put me in one of the empty J seats.

I might try again later and then through the week. I know its DEFCON that week in Vegas, but then, its always something in Vegas.
You have encountered a lazy or incompetent agent. I can make a new booking for the dates and flights you want using IKK. Therefore there should be no problem changing an existing Y reward to sit in J.

Since you've already HUed, can you just CA so we can move on from the speculation on this particular case? (By the way, did you point out to the agent that it was bookable on the website?)

As for the more general question about Aeroplan availability, I don't think I've noticed any difference in the past few months. Getting J for the things I want to fly pretty much always required IKK for me in the past and still does, so nothing really new there.

But I'm certain that what was posited above about growing Aeroplan mile issuance is true and probably makes it harder to find X/I space.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:08 pm

It's possible AE members, upon hearing that AC is pulling out of AE, have increased demand for redemptions, i.e. spend their points now rather than waiting for a late exit when stock might truly be limited.

I don't see AC's gain in starving AE or AE members. It's still revenue, and in off season, AC still needs that revenue. Peak of the peak, maybe less so. Flights I have been on have been full lately. Choc a block.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
It's possible AE members, upon hearing that AC is pulling out of AE, have increased demand for redemptions, i.e. spend their points now rather than waiting for a late exit when stock might truly be limited.
Possible? I would say probable.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Possible? I would say probable.
FWIW, the AE agent that helped me with my last booking (1.5 hrs on the phone together!) said she hasn't noticed a spike in bookings.

Granted, she might have been told to say this to reassure panicky AE customers...but that was not my impression at all, she said it almost as a throw away comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.