Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Guest Lounge Passes not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest Lounge Passes not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I don't remember when those passes HAD International lounge access. Those who have more history, when was that dropped?
I believe three-four years back but that's just my memory. I could be wrong. Started when all the enhancements began.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
I believe three-four years back but that's just my memory. I could be wrong. Started when all the enhancements began.
Yes, this is my recollection as well.

International MLL access definitely was allowed with MLL Passes a few years back. Then when it was yanked, there was the expected uproar here.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, this is my recollection as well.

International MLL access definitely was allowed with MLL Passes a few years back. Then when it was yanked, there was the expected uproar here.
Lets wait for 24L our resident archivist to post the correct response along with all relevant threads
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
International MLL access benefit got axed in 2014 I believe. I used them for international MLL in 2013.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
While at LHR, why would you want to use the MLL when there are better options at T2?

Your friend is not missing out on much.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
International MLL access benefit got axed in 2014 I believe. I used them for international MLL in 2013.
Correct.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 14, 2017 at 3:38 pm Reason: thread merge
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
Of course, the YHZ lounge lounge is only worth about $5.
YHZ has the same self-service bar as the other DOM and TB lounges in the country. Hard to pound $50 of booze in you for a one hop, I grant, but I had no moral qualms about expencing MLL lounge access before I had status on two hops trips. Cheaper than 2 meals in airports.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by jc94
The major Canadian Intl are sometimes worth $25, but it varies. LHR MLL is definitely worth $25, I might even spring out $50 just to avoid the chaos of the terminal and their breakfast is epic.
Just my opinion of course.
You have got to be kidding me. There is no question that the new LHR and FRA are the nicest MLLs, but for $50??? No chance. There is a cafe in the new T2 with comfy chairs and a view of the tarmac where you can grab some food and sit on your laptop for a lot less than $50.

I'd take the airport food/drink options over any domestic / intl MLL in Canada if I had to pay.

The only MLL I'd ever pay for is EWR, and that is just because EWR terminal A is a dumpster fire.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:10 pm

I think paying $50 for MLL is only reasonable if you need to take a shower, use the computer, or for places like EWR where the push factor of sitting in the gate area is too strong. As for meal, I think $15 is enough to beat MLL meal.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I think paying $50 for MLL is only reasonable if you need to take a shower, use the computer, or for places like EWR where the push factor of sitting in the gate area is too strong. As for meal, I think $15 is enough to beat MLL meal.
Alcohol is pretty pricey at the airport though.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Alcohol is pretty pricey at the airport though.
I don't drink much, so I may underestimate alcohol price. But still, for the drinks offered in MLL, for which one can you drink for about $30 in one visit? And what state will you be after that much drink?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I don't drink much, so I may underestimate alcohol price. But still, for the drinks offered in MLL, for which one can you drink for about $30 in one visit? And what state will you be after that much drink?
That would be no more than 4 short pours of hard stuff or cheap draft in an airport. That isn't "at lunch" drinking, but it is "handle a 3 hour rouge Y" necessity. Or a "finally away and safe from those ....... clients" celebration.

Plus the estrogen beans and salad soup.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Depends on how you look at it:

- if you use retail / liquor store prices as a point of reference, that's 400-1000ml of hard liquor, which isn't particularly healthy (and potentially deadly for most non-alcoholics)

- if you use airport bar/restaurant prices as a point of reference, $30 will often get you maybe two double G&Ts or similar (incl. tax/tip) which is an amount many guests at a bar would actually consume / pay for
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Each to their own right?

Depending upon your desires, and given a 1.7x rate on the pound I know many people who could easily validate that $50 stay. Especially in 3 hours.

That said, I've only used the LHR lounges (MLL and whatever Icelandic air uses) when flying J or PY when it's $25.

But I might pay $50. But if I did it would be more for the environment and space, the food would be a plus but personally I'm not going to consume food and drink worth $50. I honestly don't know though as I avoid flying TATL Y when possible and haven't done it in years. For 7h I consider the upspend worth it.

Some do not. Regardless it depends how much it's worth to you, for some $50 is 4h work, for some its 30 mins.

And end of the day, AC vouchers don't work so unless OP is flying out of a non location specific MLL either pay up or don't go in

Edit - LHR MLL would be about $20 (Ł12) at a restaurant. Easily, without drink. Plus it's a buffet, which for breakfast I find better than menu options. I've never been there for lunch.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
- if you use airport bar/restaurant prices as a point of reference, $30 will often get you maybe two double G&Ts or similar (incl. tax/tip) which is an amount many guests at a bar would actually consume / pay for
Exactly.

I recently refunded a DL F flight to book AA F for a savings of $130.

I have DL lounge access.

I ended up spending ~$35 at the bar instead of visiting a lounge.

I had better alcohol, and an arguably better snack.

But that was two drinks and an appetizer.

It wouldn't take much for an airport bar to exceed $50 (especially since the $35 was USD and the $50 is CAD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.