Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Apparently an initial TSB report has the plane overflying the first two on ground aircraft at 100 feet. In aviation parlance that's way too f'ing close.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Stranger
Isn't the thread title just a bit too melodramatic?

This is not the cbc, is it?
This is a pretty serious incident. 100ft from crashing into 3 planes.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj
Apparently an initial TSB report has the plane overflying the first two on ground aircraft at 100 feet. In aviation parlance that's way too f'ing close.
Link? Would be great for all I believe to have a first hand read at this report.

Originally Posted by keitherson
If this is in fact correct, I suspect the pilots will be facing a pretty difficult inquiry.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Link? Would be great for all I believe to have a first hand read at this report.

If this is in fact correct, I suspect the pilots will be facing a pretty difficult inquiry.
if this fact is correct lets hope AC is BANNED from SFO, for a few months, its the only way to get AC to do more than the last "hard landing"
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
This sums up my thoughts on this matter well.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post9827768

"Humans are humans ... so long as they are involved incidences like these will occur. It is in our nature, pilots aren't a special breed who were born without flaw.

And they were the first to be aware of their error from what the tape suggests. They were alert when it counted and therefore were able to avert a disaster ... what is the issue?"
That logic wouldn't fly driving a car, let alone a commercial airliner filled with passengers. A hazardous situation isn't OK just because it was averted at the last second.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flybit
if this fact is correct lets hope AC is BANNED from SFO, for a few months, its the only way to get AC to do more than the last "hard landing"
Considering Asiana only got a 45 day ban and the appeal by the airline was thrown out, I'm certain AC won't get any additional punishment from the government, unfortunately given there was no loss of life here.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by keitherson
So, help me understand this. The aircraft initiated a go around at an altitude of 400 ft about 30 seconds back (about 1 mile) from the runway/taxiway. Its weight was low so a climb rate of 4000 ft/min should have been easily achievable. Yet someone now reports (without a source) that the aircraft actually descended 300 ft during the first 30 seconds of the go around procedure?

Maybe this is what actually happened and there's an explanation for it. Maybe some of the initial assumptions are wrong.

Or maybe it's just total BS.

But if it truly was a miss by just 100' .... then WOW.

Last edited by After Burner; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
That logic wouldn't fly driving a car, let alone a commercial airliner filled with passengers. A hazardous situation isn't OK just because it was averted at the last second.
I disagree.

If I drove my vehicle at a high rate of speed and someone ran out in front of me and I almost hit them, the punishment is far less than if I hit them and kill them.

I'm not saying that there should not be an investigation or the pilots are not at fault; however, I am saying that there is a distinction between a scenario where something terrible has happened and narrowly avoiding such scenario.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I see that in the Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ab79f58&opt=0
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I see that in the Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ab79f58&opt=0
Based on what the TSB said to me, the miss was by 500'.

Again, until someone makes that report available for the public to see, I would suggest taking information with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that Avherald is a great source of information but like After Burner said upthread, I am finding it hard to believe.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Again, until someone makes that report available for the public to see, I would suggest taking information with a grain of salt.
Longtime, meet FT. Home of the rumor based armchair expert.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC 25k
Originally Posted by karachi
OK - amateur question : if the taxiway is parallel to the runway, arent there special coloured lights or some other identifier that make it obvious ?
Yes, and that's what I don't get in all this. You don't land on a blue 'runway'. How did the pilots not realize that the marker lights around their 'runway' were blue and the leading edge wasn't green?

Here's a look at 28L and 28R at SFO. Hard to mistake the taxiway for the runway in my opinion
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Y9FzH3DkQhQ/maxresdefault.jpg
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:26 pm

It'd be wrong to dismiss this incident as not that serious. In this instance, circumstances allowed for an adjustment that led to a safe outcome, but that wouldn't necessarily always be the case as past incidents with unhappy outcomes have illustrated.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
<<<Climmy Posted

Unless you have the LiveATC app on your phone like I do.

Please no lectures about airplane mode.>>>>

Live ATC often has a delay. Even if you were listening in real time, unless you had the view from the pointy end, doubtful you would have had an full appreciation of what was going on. The Holding planes were lined up parallel to the active. When the AC plane flew over head the pax would have seen nothing.

Last edited by yul36; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Longtime, meet FT. Home of the rumor based armchair expert.
Well put. This thread reminds me of my mom in law who constantly complains that the Dr is wrong or doing his job wrong. My participation in this thread is similar to the conversation I have with her in real life. "You didn't go to medical school and if you got hurt yourself, would you treat yourself or would you prefer a medical Doctor?"

I prefer to leave it to the professionals. I think the main issue here on this board is a lot of people have some knowledge of aviation, and probably to a higher and more detailed extent than the average Joe, but that does not make any of us experts, save for a few real experts who I am sure lurk, but do not post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.