Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by kjnangre
But the pilot DID continue to fly the approach! Was only called off at the last moment by the tower
and that is scary if this turns out to be true.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I strongly disagree with this assertion given all the ADS-B trackers feeding data around major airports (for stuff like aircraft disappearing at altitude I agree)

I track movements at YUL and there are 50ish ADS-B antennas coordinating with me at any given point. I assume the same, or better, for SFO.

I would trust the Flightaware data on this one.
I've analyzed flightaware and (especially) flightradar24 data for my own flights and often that data is grossly inaccurate. I've seen, for example, data showing my flight in a descent when I was clearly in a climb. Also seen huge positional inaccuracies.

But I agree that the data for AC759 looks reasonable.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:56 am

interesting recording of what took place.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o-airport.html very very disturbing.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Agreed. The one thing though that jumps out at me is the disastrous way AC Corporate Communications handled this reputation-damaging event. All companies this size have, or should have, an Emergency Communications Strategy; I have written them for clients and it appears that AC's "sloughing off" of this issue, like the YHZ "hard landing", illustrates that anything they could do wrong in reputation management, they did do wrong.

Their Corp Comms people need to bring in some consultants to teach them how to write a policy that doesn't automatically minimize the seriousness of every incident.

AC is a reactive company. Rarely is it a proactive company.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by The smallest state
AC is a reactive company. Rarely is it a proactive company.
Could not be articulated better. And the audio recording with the comment from UA1...basically, flew right over me.

Does anyone know if pax on that flight could have been listening to the cockpit in UA1. would be a pretty disconcerting flight to SIN having known you just got smoked by another plane.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:19 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by After Burner
I've analyzed flightaware and (especially) flightradar24 data for my own flights and often that data is grossly inaccurate. I've seen, for example, data showing my flight in a descent when I was clearly in a climb. Also seen huge positional inaccuracies.

But I agree that the data for AC759 looks reasonable.
May I ask what type of plane you fly? If FA is using MLAT (which is used for non-ADS-B equipped aircraft) then the accuracy is MUCH less precise.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
May I ask what type of plane you fly? If FA is using MLAT (which is used for non-ADS-B equipped aircraft) then the accuracy is MUCH less precise.
It's ADS-B equipped.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Agreed. The one thing though that jumps out at me is the disastrous way AC Corporate Communications handled this reputation-damaging event. All companies this size have, or should have, an Emergency Communications Strategy; I have written them for clients and it appears that AC's "sloughing off" of this issue, like the YHZ "hard landing", illustrates that anything they could do wrong in reputation management, they did do wrong.

Their Corp Comms people need to bring in some consultants to teach them how to write a policy that doesn't automatically minimize the seriousness of every incident.
I strongly feel that the minimization of the seriousness of the event is an intentional strategy. Best minimize potential legal risks as much as possible.

It would add fuel to the fire if AC said something along to the lines of "Our pilots were involved in a potentially disastrous event"
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by mkjr
Could not be articulated better. And the audio recording with the comment from UA1...basically, flew right over me.

Does anyone know if pax on that flight could have been listening to the cockpit in UA1. would be a pretty disconcerting flight to SIN having known you just got smoked by another plane.
Pax could not have been listening as UA 789's do not have CH9 capability for ATC.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mkjr
interesting recording of what took place.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o-airport.html very very disturbing.
For all I know the pilot always sounds like that, but he did sound very tired to my ears in that snippet.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I might have missed it being posted above, but CBC's latest article says "Former pilot offers his take on Air Canada near collision".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/former-...sion-1.4199285

But then we all know how much CBC loves our national airline.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know which aircraft were lined up on the taxiway?

UA 1 is a 787-9 (SFO-SIN) with a max load of fuel for a 16h planned flight !
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tracon
One of the primary approaches to 28R doesn't line up with the runway.

Because of the closeness of the parallels, there are a few different types of approaches that don't line up with 28R in the traditional way an ILS does.
This allows increased movements in conditions were visuals wouldn't be allowed.
Originally Posted by NYTA
The pilot who said "Where’s this guy going. He’s on the taxiway" that made ATC realize the AC flight was lined up with the taxiway
Have you ever been a passenger into SFO at night?

There's often a last minute bank to the left and then to the right to line up with the runway. I suppose that's what happens with many VFR approaches onto 28R.

I'd never considered it before, but I would not be at all surprised to hear that the approach perfectly lines up with the taxiway.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Pilot observed and questioned, tower corrected, another pilot commented, a go around was ordered all in the span of 37 seconds. Only some former UA captain and the perpetually-panic stricken CBC are asking us to "imagine" how "horrific" it could be.

Around the world myriad awful things happened that day. This was not one of them. Air Canada gave this the attention it deserved.

Last edited by Braindrain; Jul 12, 2017 at 11:14 pm Reason: Removed personal attack
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd never considered it before, but I would not be at all surprised to hear that the approach perfectly lines up with the taxiway.
Good catch, maybe ...

The LDA PRM 28R approach provides localizer guidance parallel and to the right of 28R. He might have mistakenly set up for that approach but thought he had programmed the ILS approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.