Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I would assume that they thought 28R was 28L and never really saw 28L. I am a pilot myself (single engine pistons), and while I find it hard to imagine not seeing this correctly. I don't find it impossible.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If this had happened in Africa or Asia the conversation would be a whole lot different.

Hopefully the pilot is grounded and probably the ATC need to review some procedures too. If UAL1 had not piped up then I fear the outcome would have been an utter catastrophe, although ATC could probably say "I was just about to say go around anyway".

And if this was not solely a human problem but an avionics problem is claimed, then AC planes of this type should be grounded until they can be checked out. They should not be waiting for an inquiry to establish what the factors were at play here for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Well maybe not a foam pit, but a run up to the runway would help. Before the OZ accident, the SFO run up was only 30 yard. If the airport followed international airport standards of 300m, the aircraft would have landed short, with min damage. Because of the accident, SFO is increasing the run up length, but not to international standards.
Except the ICAO standard for what you call a 'run up' - and is actually known as a RESA (runway end safety area) - is not 300m. The current standard is currently 300 FEET, (60m). FAA and other regulatory agencies recommend up to 300m, but these are not (yet) enforceable standards.

Note that some large airports (YVR for one) are in the process of installing 300m RESAs on the ends of some of their runways.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If UAL1 had not piped up then I fear the outcome would have been an utter catastrophe, although ATC could probably say "I was just about to say go around anyway".
Again, the value of reviewing an entire thread is to glean such details as the fact that the UA1 pilot "piped up" AFTER the AC plane had overflown them, and AFTER the ATC go-around command.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'm still curious to find out who the person on the frequence was who said "where's this guy going, he's on the taxiway", because it was neither ATC, AC759 nor UA1.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The main 1 is there is no 300m run ups before runways on over water landings. This played a large part in OZ crash.

The foam arrestors at the end of runways are designed to keep planes from overrunning the runway from the opposite direction. They have nothing to do, as far as I understand it, with aircraft approaching at the threshold. An aircraft that touched down in the arrestor area would be in a world of hurt.

At SFO 28R, there is a pier with approach lights described as "ALSF2: standard 2,400 foot high intensity approach lighting system with centerline sequenced flashers (category II or III)."

There is also one at 28L. The tail of the OZ flight crashed into it. If you land short, you land short.

The ILS beacon was out of service for an upgrade at the time of the OZ crash, but it was broad daylight under a clear blue sky.

Last edited by pdquick; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Except the ICAO standard for what you call a 'run up' - and is actually known as a RESA (runway end safety area) - is not 300m. The current standard is currently 300 FEET, (60m). FAA and other regulatory agencies recommend up to 300m, but these are not (yet) enforceable standards.

Note that some large airports (YVR for one) are in the process of installing 300m RESAs on the ends of some of their runways.

Again, the value of reviewing an entire thread is to glean such details as the fact that the UA1 pilot "piped up" AFTER the AC plane had overflown them, and AFTER the ATC go-around command.
Happy to clarify. "Where's this guy going? He's on the taxiway," someone said. I think the assumption is it was UAL1 as he was first in the queue, however it is a moot point as to who said it and I think we are all thankful that whoever did say it (ground staff, ATC, A.N.Other pilot), said it. He was also quite calm so I do wonder if it was one of the pilots on the taxiway. By contrast the AC pilot sounds very tired to me, although he might always sound like that.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm still curious to find out who the person on the frequence was who said "where's this guy going, he's on the taxiway", because it was neither ATC, AC759 nor UA1.
Me too. He sounded very calm in a "seen this before" manner to me.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
someone said...the assumption is...whoever did say it.
No further questions.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
No further questions.
The thread breathes a collective sigh of relief.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:39 am

Under normal weather conditions at SFO, all flights land on the 28s, and most flights depart on the 1s. The heavy jets, however, depart on the 28s, as the 28s are longer and face into prevailing winds.

United 1 was a 789 bound for Singapore. One of the planes was PAL 115, a 330-400 bound for Manila. The other two were United flights. I can't figure out which ones those were, but it's safe to assume they were two of United's heavy evening departures.

So not for nothing are people saying that this would have been a very, very major mishap if it had not been averted.

The latest update from the San Jose Mercury News reports that 28L was closed on the night of the incident. The pilots of AC759 should have been aware of this via a NOTAM, but if they weren't, it would have contributed to their confusion. They may have thought the 28R approach lights were the 28L approach lights, and therefore looked for something to the right of the approach lights they saw. The only thing to the right of the approach lights they saw was the Charlie taxiway.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/1...es-on-taxiway/
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
If this had happened in Africa or Asia the conversation would be a whole lot different.

Hopefully the pilot is grounded and probably the ATC need to review some procedures too. If UAL1 had not piped up then I fear the outcome would have been an utter catastrophe, although ATC could probably say "I was just about to say go around anyway".

And if this was not solely a human problem but an avionics problem is claimed, then AC planes of this type should be grounded until they can be checked out. They should not be waiting for an inquiry to establish what the factors were at play here for obvious reasons.
Well the irony is that a sizable portion of this subforum do mention about how they fly Air Canada because of safety, especially in contrast to airlines and pilots from Africa and Asia.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdquick
Under normal weather conditions at SFO, all flights land on the 28s, and most flights depart on the 1s. The heavy jets, however, depart on the 28s, as the 28s are longer and face into prevailing winds.

United 1 was a 789 bound for Singapore. One of the planes was PAL 115, a 330-400 bound for Manila. The other two were United flights. I can't figure out which ones those were, but it's safe to assume they were two of United's heavy evening departures.

So not for nothing are people saying that this would have been a very, very major mishap if it had not been averted.

The latest update from the San Jose Mercury News reports that 28L was closed on the night of the incident. The pilots of AC759 should have been aware of this via a NOTAM, but if they weren't, it would have contributed to their confusion. They may have thought the 28R approach lights were the 28L approach lights, and therefore looked for something to the right of the approach lights they saw. The only thing to the right of the approach lights they saw was the Charlie taxiway.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/1...es-on-taxiway/
The flights from the front were:
  1. UAL1 B789 SFO-SIN
  2. PAL115 A343 SFO-MNL
  3. UAL863 B789 SFO-SYD
  4. UAL1118 B739 SFO-MCO
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:00 am

The flights from the front were:
  1. UAL1 B789 SFO-SIN
  2. PAL115 A343 SFO-MNL
  3. UAL863 B789 SFO-SYD
  4. UAL1118 B739 SFO-MCO

Thanks. That's a lot of people.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by pdquick
Thanks. That's a lot of people.
Two dreamliners with fully loaded fuel for ultra-long haul flights.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I've addressed this. No TSB report has been made public to my knowledge and AVherald has not provided a source with which we can read this alleged report for ourself.
So you're the final arbiter of what happened and what did not? If you have no knowledge of it, then it didn't happen? You're the all-knowing, all-seeing keeper of the truth?

Do I have that right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.