Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 747-400; Who remembers these birds?!!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 747-400; Who remembers these birds?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Dorian
A friend who loves seeing 747's at YVR sent me this....super interesting:
What is it that is so super interesting? There is nothing after your ":" for me.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by muskoka
I loved the 744. Last time I had the thrill of flying on one was in I believe 1991
HNL-YVR with my wife & 2 kids . We had bulkhead seats with a ton of legroom.
It was aboard CP tail # 881 C-GMWW "The Maxwell Ward". CP had just taken delivery of it.
This A/C was scrapped in Dec 2013 at MZJ. Gone but not forgotten.
Can't remember if it was to or from but I flew that plane on YVR-HKG-BKK (or back) on my way to BOM in 1998.

As a result of an AC pilot's strike AC was offering triple status miles. CP matched that so I earned 22007 status miles for a single flight, rocketing me into Executive Platinum.

From there I stayed at the top of the heap until February 2012, shortly before I stopped flying.

Used a "black" (sticker) to upgrade both ways, though the entire outbound and HKG-YVR only cleared at the gate, probably 'cause I was only Gold at the time.

Last edited by KenHamer; Jul 9, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: none
KLM still operates these I believe.
Flew in the back 1 or 2 years ago MEX-AMS. During the flight some very loud, quite disturbing banging sounds came from the back of the plane. FA came to reassure passengers that there were some horses on board that got agitated and were kicking their boxes.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember flying AC 747 service from YYZ to FRA/YVR and IIRC,LAS.
The FAs used to go around on LAS outbound and collect 2 dollars and your seat stub and pull a number out of a bowl to a winner take all seat number.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:06 am

Flew on one of Asiana's (ICN SGN)a few days ago. F in the nose was nothing to exciting but the noises especially when the wheel comes up were interesting
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Here is the history on those birds:
http://airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b747-24998.htm
http://airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b747-25075.htm

Anybody remember the DC-8 combi's AC used to fly. Always seemed to be delayed due to loading of cargo.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:44 am

I've flown the AC combi a number of times from LAX - YYZ, but can't remember if it was a 744 or a 742. Would have been late '80s or early '90s, IIRC.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:13 am

I remember flying these birds between HKG-YVR and NRT-YVR during the Christmas season.

They also had them on YYZ-YVR but it was notoriously late as its perceived as an overload plane..... so all the small birds took off and whatever people/luggage was on standby and left they shoved it into the 744.

Best part of the plane was some of the economy class were either upper deck or at the front of the plane.

For me my dates were mid 90s and 2001-2003ish, later switched to SQ A345s
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:03 am

I remember flying YYZ-LAX and was surprised to see this being the aircraft. I also remember it being in much need of TLC. It looked like it was way past its expiry date.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by The Lev

Anybody remember the DC-8 combi's AC used to fly. Always seemed to be delayed due to loading of cargo.
Crazy that they are still flying!

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by The Lev

I do not remember AC DC-8 combi's at all. I know AC had a fleet of DC -8 cargo, but combi's? The DC 8 was tail heavy, so how did they make it onto a combi? i know there was a Northern airline that flew DC8 combi's out of YWG up north, but the cargo as alway in the front and pax entered past the wings. These aircraft could not use the gates.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I do not remember AC DC-8 combi's at all. I know AC had a fleet of DC -8 cargo, but combi's? The DC 8 was tail heavy, so how did they make it onto a combi? i know there was a Northern airline that flew DC8 combi's out of YWG up north, but the cargo as alway in the front and pax entered past the wings. These aircraft could not use the gates.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Crazy that they are still flying!

I cannot tell you how many times I flew YYZ/LHR vv on that aircraft...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I cannot tell you how many times I flew YYZ/LHR vv on that aircraft...
+1, first time was terrific, even in the back of the bus. It had real cupboards in the back that pax could use.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I remember this bird. This aircraft was converted to all cargo after it was retired from AC pax fleet. They were later repainted AC cargo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.