AKL-YYZ (J or F) advice wanted

Old Jul 8, 17, 2:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YYJ
Posts: 1,818
AKL-YYZ (J or F) advice wanted

Hi all,

I think it's unlikely, but I'm trying to get my parents 2 J or F tickets one way from AKL-YYZ some time between November 8th and 10th, ideally using AP points. I've tried the obvious things and some not so obvious (for example I did find AKL-PEK-FRA-LHR-YYZ most in J, one in F), but a 20 hour PEK layover and a very short LHR connection won't suit my 75 year old parents (or me for that matter!).

Any suggestions on routings to try?

I also notice from this week's Amex Plat newsletter that they have 'deals' with some airlines for discounted J/F fares or companion tickets. Has anyone used this? For example I see J listed AKL-LAX (NZ) then LAX-YYZ (AC) all in J for under $3k, so a decent discount would work if I can't get it on points. They don't need to be on *A if they aren't using points.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
painintheuk is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:22 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,595
Finding two award tickets from Australia/NZ to Canada in J/F is extremely tough (and usually even takes me a good amount of time even though I book plenty of award tickets).

Your best bet is to check AKL-PEK/PVG/HND/NRT/ICN/HKG and then PEK/PVG/NRT/HND/ICN/HKG-(West Coast)-YYZ and see whether any of the results would be suitable to create a AKL-YYZ trip with reasonable layover times.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Providence RI
Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Posts: 988
This is gonna be a mission. Two tickets, same flight in J or F is tough. To be fair, it is tough on most airlines, not just AC. However, it is especially tough on AC.

Personally I would call and do this. You will drive yourself nuts trying to come up with the combinations to pull this off. Let an AP rep help you.
The smallest state is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:28 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,595
Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
This is gonna be a mission. Two tickets, same flight in J or F is tough. To be fair, it is tough on most airlines, not just AC. However, it is especially tough on AC.

Personally I would call and do this. You will drive yourself nuts trying to come up with the combinations to pull this off. Let an AP rep help you.
Is this a sarcastic response or are you being serious? You can be happy if the AE agents is willing/able to book an award if you feed them an itinerary segment by segment (once you've pieced together the itinerary yourself).

All an AE agent will do is plug in AKL to YYZ into their search engine and tell you there's no availability.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Providence RI
Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Posts: 988
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Is this a sarcastic response or are you being serious? You can be happy if the AE agents is willing/able to book an award if you feed them an itinerary segment by segment (once you've pieced together the itinerary yourself).

All an AE agent will do is plug in AKL to YYZ into their search engine and tell you there's no availability.
No I am not being sarcastic. Not at all. If you get that AE agent, the HUCA. Some AP agents are fairly good and will try. The fact that you barge in and expect all AP agents to be proficient is indicative of YOU.

Maybe things like this don't happen at Fairmont, but AP has good, bad and indifferent agents. You just need to call and get a good one. Glad to see Fairmont is doing whats right all the time. While I've never been let down by Fairmont, I also haven't stayed at them all the time. AC is a little different. In fact....AC and AP are a LOT different.




KEEP YOUR FREE BREAKFAST
The smallest state is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 5:49 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 33,795
Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
No I am not being sarcastic. Not at all. If you get that AE agent, the HUCA. Some AP agents are fairly good and will try. The fact that you barge in and expect all AP agents to be proficient is indicative of YOU.

Maybe things like this don't happen at Fairmont, but AP has good, bad and indifferent agents. You just need to call and get a good one. Glad to see Fairmont is doing whats right all the time. While I've never been let down by Fairmont, I also haven't stayed at them all the time. AC is a little different. In fact....AC and AP are a LOT different.




KEEP YOUR FREE BREAKFAST
What exactly are you trying to say?

I've had an Aeroplan agent refuse to attempt to book a minirtw when I had all the segments.

Most are more than willing.

But whenever I say "I want to fly SFO-BKK" they inevitably say if it's not on the site, they can't do it.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 5:55 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,595
Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
No I am not being sarcastic. Not at all. If you get that AE agent, the HUCA. Some AP agents are fairly good and will try. The fact that you barge in and expect all AP agents to be proficient is indicative of YOU.

Maybe things like this don't happen at Fairmont, but AP has good, bad and indifferent agents. You just need to call and get a good one.
No doubt AE has a bunch of different agents (incl. some very nice ones), but even the good ones won't spend their time checking dozens (if not hundreds) routes trying to piece together such an itinerary IME.

At best a good agent may check alternative origin / destination airports, and maybe availability to a major hub vs. a secondary airport (e.g. AKL-YVR, AKL-YYZ etc. vs. AKL-YGK), but anything more than that is extremely rare IMHO.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 6:01 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YYJ
Posts: 1,818
Thanks all.

I am hoping to not call an agent unless I can name the segments exactly! Sorry that you haven't had luck with agents @smalleststate. I've had positive and negative, but this one is going to be a challenge (as you say) and is a bit of a longshot! Hopefully if points don't work, someone has some advice about the Amex Plat discount/companion ticket option.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
painintheuk is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 6:38 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,135
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
You can be happy if the AE agents is willing/able to book an award if you feed them an itinerary segment by segment (once you've pieced together the itinerary yourself).

All an AE agent will do is plug in AKL to YYZ into their search engine and tell you there's no availability.
+1

I've ALWAYs done the leg work in finding each segment to piece together a trip because 95% of the time they will do exactly as you mentioned.

For example, I recently called to book BKK-YYZ in J/F the agent said all that was avail. was BKK-PEK in J on TG and then PEK-YYZ in PY on AC.

I did my homework and fed her: BKK-ICN in F/TG + ICN-JFK in F/OZ + LGA-YYZ in J/AC

Of course, she said she would have to validate the routeing.... in my head... I said GO AHEAD, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

Plus she didn't even know how to book the JFK/LGA-YYZ as a connection and not a stopover. Had to tell her to insert X in between JFK/LGA so the system would recognise it was a connection!

BTW... THANKS FOR THE FREE BREAKFAST

Last edited by imverge; Jul 8, 17 at 6:50 pm Reason: Added itin info.
imverge is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 7:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,386
Have you checked othe airline forums?

Maybe you can find stuff last minute. Live on the wild side man!
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 12:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: YVR
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
someone has some advice about the Amex Plat discount/companion ticket option.
Are you talking about the International Airline Program from Amex?

I believe for this companion fare deal, you need to buy a fully refundable business/first class ticket, which most likely negates any savings.
pentiumvi is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 2:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: Enough
Posts: 938
Or you could use an award booking service... Awarding Canada is particularly good :P

As a big hint, transiting through Asia to get to AKL won't work. It is way above MPM. NZ has a ridiculously low MPM value with AP. My suggestion would be to do a stop in Australia and then go to AKL, artificially driving up the MPM allotment to the YYZ/Australia pairing.
durberville is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Mississauga Ontario
Posts: 3,831
Isn't it kind of sad the OP asked a question obviously very important to him/her, and a couple of other folks get in an argument and go off in some other weird world?

OP - I'm no expert at anything, but I've been around here long enough to know that lots of folks suggest that you get to SYD, and then get award tickets from there. I don't know if that is an option.

I see some availability in ExpertFlyer AKL-SFO-SAN-YVR and things like that .. two stops. I don't know if that 2 stop thing is doable

I also see on United a Business standard award at 175,000 miles each, AKL-SFO-YVR ....

SO there might be options. PM me if I can explore options; I have Expertflyer.

My apologies for the others...
InTheAirGuy is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 7:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,135
I did some searching and the best I could find for x2 in Business Class was AKL-PEK-EWR-YYZ with the EWR-YYZ having to do a separate market fare redemption in Business Class since the only fixed award is at 12:10 pm which wouldn't leave enough time to connect since the PEK flight arrives into EWR at 11:25 am.

BTW... This routeing does not populate when you enter AKL-EWR. It has to be fed segment by segment to the AP agent. I hope you can make it work.
Attached Images  
imverge is offline  
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:02 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YYJ
Posts: 1,818
Thanks for the suggestions all.

Newark is close enough that Y would be fine from there - I didn't even think to check that as an option! SYD is definitely a 'relocation' option and I have a cousin there that they haven't seen in years. Their 1 day cruise stop won't really manage it! I'm now in China and busy for a few days, but will get on this ASAP.

Dr. PITUK
painintheuk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: