Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same-day Airport Standby on Business Class Rewards

Old Jul 8, 17, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, AC E*35K, Marriott Gold

I'm flying YYC–YYZ–MCO today on a business class reward ticket. The SE agent at the YYC priority check-in refused to put me on standby for an earlier YYC–YYZ flight because she insisted that the rules for Business Class (lowest) applied, and that I could only standby in the western triangle (YYC, YEG, YVR) or eastern Rapidair routes (YYZ, YOW, YUL). I told her my understanding is that Business Class (flexible) applies and I should be able to standby for any flight (as has always been my experience in the past).

Which is correct? If the latter, what documentation can I provide to show that same-day standby is allowable on any flight for business class rewards?
Old Jul 8, 17, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post
I'm flying YYC–YYZ–MCO today on a business class reward ticket. The SE agent at the YYC priority check-in refused to put me on standby for an earlier YYC–YYZ flight because she insisted that the rules for Business Class (lowest) applied, and that I could only standby in the western triangle (YYC, YEG, YVR) or eastern Rapidair routes (YYZ, YOW, YUL). I told her my understanding is that Business Class (flexible) applies and I should be able to standby for any flight (as has always been my experience in the past).

Which is correct? If the latter, what documentation can I provide to show that same-day standby is allowable on any flight for business class rewards?
First, there is no such thing as a SE agent. J or business class award tickets are not flexible as full fare J. They are booked in low J. You can fly standby on these tickets, but You have not provided enough info. Are you talking about getting confirmed J on a eArlier flight? If so, the agent is correct, and you can't fly standby for a earlier flight. You can standby for a earlier flight in Y and be put on the upgrade list. All award tickets on the upgrade list are the last to be upgraded.
Old Jul 8, 17, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse View Post
First, there is no such thing as a SE agent.
I simply meant the agent that was mainly serving the SE line.

J or business class award tickets are not flexible as full fare J. They are booked in low J.
I'm surprised about the view that business class awards “are booked in low J”. The booking is in Business (I) for all segments, and shows as “Business class (flexible)” when viewed on aircanada.com. This is quite consistent for both my past and future bookings.

You can fly standby on these tickets, but You have not provided enough info. Are you talking about getting confirmed J on a eArlier flight? If so, the agent is correct, and you can't fly standby for a earlier flight. You can standby for a earlier flight in Y and be put on the upgrade list. All award tickets on the upgrade list are the last to be upgraded.
I'm not talking about doing a same-day change for a confirmed J seat. I want to standby for a J seat on an earlier flight. Even if Y + an upgrade were an option, the agent is insistent that stand-by on business class rewards flights is only allowed for flights within the two triangle areas.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 10.02.50 AM.png
Views: 2017
Size:  106.9 KB
Old Jul 8, 17, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond

Neither is correct. It is absolutely not equivalent to "Business Class (flexible)", which would allow free same day changes as well.

Reward tickets are their own domain, and are do not line up with any revenue fare bucket.

All North American paid business fares allow free SDC on AC metal.

All Aeroplan business tickets allow free standby on AC metal.

Go find another agent, and drop the "it's a flexible ticket" line. You want standby, and you're entitled to standby. Don't say anything else.
Old Jul 8, 17, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Neither is correct. It is absolutely not equivalent to "Business Class (flexible)", which would allow free same day changes as well.

Reward tickets are their own domain, and are do not line up with any revenue fare bucket.

All North American paid business fares allow free SDC on AC metal.

All Aeroplan business tickets allow free standby on AC metal.

Go find another agent, and drop the "it's a flexible ticket" line. You want standby, and you're entitled to standby. Don't say anything else.
Fair enough, I'll stop referring to the Business Class (flexible) rules. Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 17, 12:02 pm

Here's the full T&C:

https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

It does not mention anything about same day standby for an earlier flight. It talked about same day change (SDC) and applicable fee which appears to be the same for business and economy.

Btw you may find this old thread amusing, start from post #38 when someone spent 2 hours at YYC trying to do a SDC on an Aeroplan business reward ticket.

Aeroplan Ticket Same Day Change
Old Jul 8, 17, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
Here's the full T&C:

https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

It does not mention anything about same day standby for an earlier flight. It talked about same day change (SDC) and applicable fee which appears to be the same for business and economy.
They used to have T&C where these things (and others) were mentioned. Just like, tariffs used to mention Aeroplan tickets.

But nowadays they believe in obscurity and being a law into themselves.

Bottom line, agent end up being free to make up their own rule. I guess, not only being free to, but having no real other choice.
Old Jul 8, 17, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Still in YYC!

After talking with several more agents, it seems there's a standing rule to not allow standbys to Toronto. That leaves a same-day change as the only other option. I just paid the $75 to get on the last flight that would still allow me a decent overnight in Toronto.
Old Jul 8, 17, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still in YYC!

After talking with several more agents, it seems there's a standing rule to not allow standbys to Toronto. That leaves a same-day change as the only other option. I just paid the $75 to get on the last flight that would still allow me a decent overnight in Toronto.
Sounds like nonsense.

I'd ask for a refund.
Old Jul 8, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Still in YYC!

I think this is correct. I learned it when I was refused an LGAYUL SDC on an E75 leaving in an hour that was J9.

Turns out that, as far as I can tell, aeroplan bookings don't get the "flexibility" of Business Lowest, and resemble more the rules of Flex ticket (these are the words used by LGA agents though, the same agents that told me I can't use my Nexus to entre Canada).

I think the "rule for flights to YYZ" is likely BS. It's true that you can't, but I don't think the reason pertains to itself YYZ more than that your fare is just not eligible.
Old Jul 8, 17, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I think this is correct. I learned it when I was refused an LGAYUL SDC on an E75 leaving in an hour that was J9.

Turns out that, as far as I can tell, aeroplan bookings don't get the "flexibility" of Business Lowest, and resemble more the rules of Flex ticket (these are the words used by LGA agents though, the same agents that told me I can't use my Nexus to entre Canada).

I think the "rule for flights to YYZ" is likely BS. It's true that you can't, but I don't think the reason pertains to itself YYZ more than that your fare is just not eligible.
Business class Aeroplan tickets are eligible for free standby on any route, as long as it's operated by AC.

I don't know how it works if it's a business class ticket with that segment only booked in X, but that was not the case here.

I've gone standby for YYZ-SFO, YVR-YYZ, YYZ-YOW, YYC-YVR, etc. I've done this as far back as 2014, and as recently as last month.
Old Jul 8, 17, 8:52 pm

Business class Aeroplan tickets are eligible for free standby on any route, as long as it's operated by AC.

I don't know how it works if it's a business class ticket with that segment only booked in X, but that was not the case here.

I've gone standby for YYZ-SFO, YVR-YYZ, YYZ-YOW, YYC-YVR, etc. I've done this as far back as 2014, and as recently as last month.
You are correct. Found this buried in the FAQ at the Aeroplan web site:

https://www.aeroplan.com/faqhelp?icid=SUB_M_FAQ_EN

AC agents at YYC didn't know what they were doing.

+
Attached Images  
Old Jul 8, 17, 9:06 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)

I may have ducked up.

I was allowed to standby, but not allowed to SDC.
Old Jul 8, 17, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad you found the official rules, though it wouldn't surprise me if an agent said "we're not Aeroplan" if you ever pulled them out at an airport.

In YYC, you can do this stuff at check-in, customer service, MLL, or the gate.

HUCA can be necessary IRL too.
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
You are correct. Found this buried in the FAQ at the Aeroplan web site:

https://www.aeroplan.com/faqhelp?icid=SUB_M_FAQ_EN

AC agents at YYC didn't know what they were doing.

+
Ah, thank you for finding this! I'm definitely going to ask for a refund on the same day change.

I've done standby on almost all my NA business class rewards in the past. Yesterday was the first time I've ever been denied. The agents I spoke with were all adamant that standby to Toronto was not allowed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: