Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC says itinerary I want has too many stops?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Currently:

YYC-(AC a/l/k)-YVR-(AC p)-NRT-(NH p)-BKK
BKK-(OZ p)-ICN
ICN-(AC p)-YVR-(AC a/l/k)-YYC

Want to add a BKK-BNE:

BKK-(TG econ)-BNE
BNE-(TG econ)-BKK-(OZ p)-ICN

But AC agent said too complicated. She didn't give me a valid reason other than "too many stops"? She said it's easier just to book a separate BKK-BNE round trip by calling TG. Just means I have to get my luggage and re-check at BKK.

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. What does Matrix say?

2. About luggage, probably can be checked through.

3. If an AC agent gives an answer that seems like it's evasive, I would call again. Maybe ask to send the request to the fares people. But I would first check with Matrix, so as to have something concrete to suggest.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by seks
Currently:

BKK-(OZ p)-ICN

Want to add a BKK-BNE:

BKK-(TG econ)-BNE
BNE-(TG econ)-BKK-(OZ p)-ICN

But AC agent said too complicated. She didn't give me a valid reason other than "too many stops"? She said it's easier just to book a separate BKK-BNE round trip by calling TG. Just means I have to get my luggage and re-check at BKK.

You'll get other answer about the ticketing. Regarding the luggage, AC interlines (that's the key word) with most airlines, in particular those in Star Alliance.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Why not try YYC-NRT direct?

Originally Posted by tinchote
You'll get other answer about the ticketing. Regarding the luggage, AC interlines (that's the key word) with most airlines, in particular those in Star Alliance.
Just tried your first example on matrix and it works, but matrix can't seem to accommodate the extra two legs BKK-BNE return.

However, do you really need to deal with the hassles of YVR connections?

If you use the direct YYC-NRT-YYC AC9/AC10 flights you free up two segments and make the TG BKK-BNE rt possible on a single ticket.

(Personally we love AC9/10 as an option to the YYZ-TYO flights when we need to stopover in AB)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Just tried your first example on matrix and it works, but matrix can't seem to accommodate the extra two legs BKK-BNE return.

However, do you really need to deal with the hassles of YVR connections?

If you use the direct YYC-NRT-YYC AC9/AC10 flights you free up two segments and make the TG BKK-BNE rt possible on a single ticket.

(Personally we love AC9/10 as an option to the YYZ-TYO flights when we need to stopover in AB)
The reason for YYC-YVR-NRT is that I am meeting up with friends who are flying YYC-SFO-NRT and they arrive at NRT 30 min before I do. We then continue NRT-BKK on the same NH flight. And also, there was only Z for YYC-NRT when I booked the ticket few weeks ago, no P. The YVR-NRT segment is in P, which saves me a good chunk of change.

After playing with matrix, it looks like certain economy classes cannot mix with certain biz classes?????

For example, if I just enter in BKK-BNE in the ONE-WAY tab without any extension codes, I get Q. If I specify "f bc=Q" in the MULTI-CITY for BKK-BNE, I get search not found. If I don't specify anything, I get Y, which bumps the price up.

At any rate, YYC-YVR-NRT-BKK (stop)-BNE (stop) and NRT-ICN (stop)-YVR-YYC open jaw is what I'm after now. Gonna fly Jetstar for BNE-NRT.

If I still can't get BKK-BNE (or/and NRT-ICN) in there because of classes rule, I'll just get separate tickets.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by seks
But AC agent said too complicated.
When an AC agent talks, my ears hear the hedging language like the warning signs they are..........

should
I guess
I suppose
could
maybe
most of the time

I try and pin them down on exactly the information they are giving me. Too much hedging language and it is merely an excuse to get me off of the phone in under 6 minutes with/without the correct answer.

But this........"too complicated", that sounds like absolute capitulation to me. I must confess though, you seem to have some needless bouncing around.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by The smallest state
my ears hear the hedging language like the warning signs they are..........

should
I guess
I suppose
could
maybe
most of the time
Issue is, if you pay close attention, you will notice that many front line employees of service industries will speak this way in NA. Especially in large companies.

Although it may be from an agent BSing you, it may also be that the actually can't offer you a guarantee on what you're asking and are actually telling you the truth.

This was fairly standard when I worked for a large financial institution, it's what I hear a lot when I talk to telco employees, and I'm not surprised to hear it from AC either.

In the end, I'd rather get a signal from the person that an information might be wrong or something might not happen so I can plan accordingly, versus being given an absolute that isn't true.

The most recent example would be the threads about lost luggage and AC promising bag delivery by x date.

​​​​​
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:58 pm

Not sure what fare you looking at but assuming BNE is your turnaround point it is way over allowed mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.