Wiki Posts
Search

Flightpass E-Upgrade madness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Flightpass E-Upgrade madness

Does anyone else have this problem? When I am booking via my Flex flight pass on AC.com, I choose Eupgrade Requirements to show me what flights are available to upgrade at the moment. For the last 8 months at least, every single flight shows up as upgradeable, but if I go ahead and book one and then go to the eupgrade tool, it often says Waitlist.

That means I am out $50 as I have to change my flight (although I have learned to ghost a regular booking on AC.com to check)
Attached Images   
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE
use expertflyer
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
use expertflyer
I do. Seems like that shouldn't be necessary though?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AC S100K
No solution for you, but cancellations within 1 hour through reservations will not attract a fee. (Some agents need reminding of this.)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The best way forward is to ghost another booking. Seems ridiculous but it does work.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
The best way forward is to ghost another booking. Seems ridiculous but it does work.
Not always. At least for latitude passes.

I have had a number of indtances whereby the pass page shows upgrade space, but after I book and try upgrading it's not there.

Presumably when in Canada, easy to call reservations and have them process. However if overseas, I have not found a way for my cell phone to call the international toll-free line. Plus, I no longer have skype (using facetime instead) and land lines are going the way of dinosaus,
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Booking with a latitude pass, I've often seen the opposite. Flight Pass shows as waitlist, but when going to request the upgrade it's immediately confirmed.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lynchpin_yyz
Booking with a latitude pass, I've often seen the opposite. Flight Pass shows as waitlist, but when going to request the upgrade it's immediately confirmed.
That may be.

In my case, it was a Europe pass.

My confirmed upgrade was cancelled the night before because of an equipment change (although I have reasons to believe the change of equipment was decided a few days earlier).

The agent who called me was inflexible and insisted I could only rebook under the pass conditions, and I was unable to call the SE line. Unfortunately from that airport there was no alternative. So I started searching, considering purchasing a short haul hop to another close by airport. I found availaibilty from a number of places, confirmed by looking at the regular reservation page. Interestingly these were flights which had no P but still showed upgrade space in latitude. But when trying to upgrade, no dice. Eventually I found a flgiht, but for the following day.

But anyway, I was obviously quite pissed off, especially in view of their inflexibility in rebooking me on an itinerary that might include a short hop on LH or Swiss. And then on that issue with upgrade.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Speaking from experience, there is pretty much no way they're going to rebook you on a FP to include another airline if AC offers a non-stop.

Why were you not able to request an upgrade again? Or did J become full?

Another option might have been to call the concierge, as they're MUCH more likely to let you keep your upgrade in IRROPS, if there's positive J space.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Speaking from experience, there is pretty much no way they're going to rebook you on a FP to include another airline if AC offers a non-stop.

Why were you not able to request an upgrade again? Or did J become full?

Another option might have been to call the concierge, as they're MUCH more likely to let you keep your upgrade in IRROPS, if there's positive J space.

They cancelled my upgrade because after the euipment change the J cabin became smaller than the number of confirmed people. So no chance to "re-upgrade."

Incidentally, would they have told me two days earlier, when suddenly the J cabin became full (i.e. when they switched the equipment) I would have been able to make alternate plans. However there was also the chance that someone in J might cancel/change his flight.

As to passes and stuff, I had an instance where after a schedule change, they changed a pass booking with the second leg from YYZ the following day. Hence having me in Toronto for over 24 hours...

Again, they would not let me go the day I had booked with a short leg on a codeshare, even though it was an involuntary change. I suspect that's actually in violation of the tariff. Once the ticket has been issued, should be the tariffs that govern it, not the pass conditions anymore.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
No solution for you, but cancellations within 1 hour through reservations will not attract a fee. (Some agents need reminding of this.)
I find they've given me the usual 24 hours actually.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
use expertflyer
No no no
The proper answer is to buy straight up J cabin.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
No no no
The proper answer is to buy straight up J cabin.
I would agree^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.