Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are lugage included in a reward or is it HBO ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others

Hello,

not familar with Aeroplan but my sister has 800k aeroplan miles she wants to spend this summer.
Tried to find an answer to my simple question but even on Aeroplan.com there is nothing about lugage.
If I book her in Eco from YUL to YYJ (mix of AC and Red) will she have only HBO or is it with one piece ? 23 kg ? what about hand lugage ?

Thanks very much for any help
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by source05
Hello,

not familar with Aeroplan but my sister has 800k aeroplan miles she wants to spend this summer.
Tried to find an answer to my simple question but even on Aeroplan.com there is nothing about lugage.
If I book her in Eco from YUL to YYJ (mix of AC and Red) will she have only HBO or is it with one piece ? 23 kg ? what about hand lugage ?

She can carry one bag and one personal item on. The same restrictions as a revenue ticket. She is not entitled to free checked bags, unless she has status with the airline or alliance.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your quiet reply, so she will have to buy for a checked suitcase ? Could it be done in MMB after reservation ?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:28 am

Hello,

For Aeroplan reward redemptions baggage fees apply as follows:
Bookings in X class are considered Tango;
Bookings in all other classes are aligned with Air Canada’s booking class fare family (Tango, Flex or Latitude)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:29 am

what's HBO? hand bag only?

It's "luggage" by the way

Reward has same restriction as revenue fares, unless the pax has airline elite status (e.g. *A Gold would have 1 extra bag allowed)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:39 am

She has lots of points, book a J ticket and then you get baggage included.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I see that you are using a few acronyms such as HBO and MMB that we are much less familiar with on this side of the Atlantic (looks like you are based in NCE). I think I understand though what you are trying to get to.

Unlike with most European airlines, you cannot "prepay" the baggage fees as part of the reservation. The only way to prepay for luggage (other than at the airport) is through the online check-in process, which opens 24 hours before the first flight.

As others have mentioned, if you book a Classic Aeroplan Economy reward, this particular fare class maps to Tango, which does not include any free bags for domestic travel, other than carry-on (hand luggage/bring on board). If booked using "market fare" the booking class may end up being Tango (no checked bags included), Flex (1 bag) or more rarely Latitude (2 bags)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
I see that you are using a few acronyms such as HBO and MMB that we are much less familiar with on this side of the Atlantic (looks like you are based in NCE). I think I understand though what you are trying to get to.

I don't know about HBO in this context (post 5 looks like a good guess though), but wouldn't MMB be read as Manage My Booking? We use that acronym here.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Hello to all of you,
sorry for my poor english and my acronyms which are, as YOWCDNFF mentionned, Europe based and HBO stands for Hand bagage only and MMB for manage my booking which seems to be here Online Check in. I'm to much used to the British Airways forum.

Did a dummy booking and the fare in Eco available is the one " Market Fare " not the fixed fares, it would be T for YUL-YYJ and L from YVR-YUL. So I guess T is for Tango but what is the L fare ? Lattitude ?

Last edited by source05; Jul 4, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did a dummy booking and the fare in Eco available is the one " Market Fare " not the fixed fares, it would be T for YUL-YYJ and L from YVR-YUL. So I guess T is for Tango but what is the L fare ? Lattitude ?
T and L are both Tango. Latitude is B and Y.

M, U, H, Q, V, G are Flex, usually.

Tango can also be K, S, T, A.

This is a bit dated but still pretty much looks correct.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
what's HBO? hand bag only?

It's "luggage" by the way

Reward has same restriction as revenue fares, unless the pax has airline elite status (e.g. *A Gold would have 1 extra bag allowed)
*G gets you three bags on AC.

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
She has lots of points, book a J ticket and then you get baggage included.
Agreed.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hello,

Like in other languages with named brands, Rouge actually means Rouge as an actual word, and has no translation to Red.

So "Air Canada Red" actually doesn't exist.

"In the Red" is whole different story.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hello to all of you,
sorry for my poor english and my acronyms which are, as YOWCDNFF mentionned, Europe based and HBO stands for Hand bagage only and MMB for manage my booking which seems to be here Online Check in. I'm to much used to the British Airways forum.

MMB is slightly different to online check-in. Air Canada has a managed my booking screen but it would not allow you to prepay for luggage (it will allow to select a seat for a fee, add some travel options such as lounge access or a meal voucher). Only luggage payment option for AC is during the check-in process (online or at the airport)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Only luggage payment option for AC is during the check-in process (online or at the airport)
On the upside, unlike in the case of many Euro airlines, AC's baggage fees are the same whether you pay online or at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.