Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC explores new routes to India, may start more direct flights

Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0400219_1.html

Air Canada is evaluating new direct routes to India as it aims to grow its presence in the fast-growing market.

On Saturday, Air Canada launched three weekly non-stop flights between Toronto and Mumbai. It also flies non-stop between Toronto and Delhi as well as Vancouver-Delhi.

"We are evaluating new routes to India and are in discussions with airports. There are lot of growth opportunities," said Duncan Bureau, vice president (global sales), Air Canada.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Would AC's 787s have the range to do YYZ-BLR?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jasdou
Would AC's 787s have the range to do YYZ-BLR?
At least in theory yes. At 13,300 km it's almost exactly the same distance as YVR-MEL. 787-9 range is around 15,000 km in "typical" configuration so would be a bit less in AC's set-up. I suspect there might be some load restrictions.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by The Lev
At least in theory yes. At 13,300 km it's almost exactly the same distance as YVR-MEL. 787-9 range is around 15,000 km in "typical" configuration so would be a bit less in AC's set-up. I suspect there might be some load restrictions.
Last time I did DEL-YYZ, they announced that we would have a late departure because they had to unload some cargo due to the high temperature. I can imagine such scenarios would be even more likely to happen as you stretch the flight times.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
I wonder about the revenues split between passenger and cargo for the India flights.

Same for the MEL/SYD/BNE trio.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If AC can pull off a flight to BLR or HYD I could see it pulling in some business traffic. IIRC neither one has any direct flights to North America. The bigger question is how do you fill a 787 on a thin route like that when most leisure/family travelers would rather go via DEL or Europe for a cheaper price.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
If AC can pull off a flight to BLR or HYD I could see it pulling in some business traffic. IIRC neither one has any direct flights to North America. The bigger question is how do you fill a 787 on a thin route like that when most leisure/family travelers would rather go via DEL or Europe for a cheaper price.
Well, if the business traffic is there, AC could potentially collect a premium on it instead of Rev sharing cheap rickets with AI connections; I can see a healthy front cabin subsidizing the back.

And if Y isn't busy, that's extra cargo opportunities with the reduced weight.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by eigenvector
BLR has a nonstop to SFO
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Well, if the business traffic is there, AC could potentially collect a premium on it instead of Rev sharing cheap rickets with AI connections; I can see a healthy front cabin subsidizing the back.

And if Y isn't busy, that's extra cargo opportunities with the reduced weight.
Not really. There might be air cargo coming in from India that doesn't need a lead time, but there isn't enough air freight to India to support the scenario you describe.

Considering the fact that Canada has one of the largest Sikh communities in the world outside of India at 500,000, I would expect AC would target this community. It also has a sizeable component of wealthy people. This would suggest flights to the Punjab if possible before anything else. Alberta, and especially Edmonton has a big Sikh population, so they could use some direct flights.

At some point, I would expect service to Colombo in Sri Lanka would be more interesting than India. Toronto is awash with a massive Tamil population.
I would welcome more flights as it would provide additional options for me to fly to BKK/SIN via India and not have to use the awful Air India.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Not really. There might be air cargo coming in from India that doesn't need a lead time, but there isn't enough air freight to India to support the scenario you describe.
​​​​​​Interesting. You seem pretty convinced that there wouldn't be enough cargo demand. I am surprised. I expected India to be a massive export economy by both sea and air.

Would you mind sharing the statistics that lead to this conclusion?

​​​​​
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
At some point, I would expect service to Colombo in Sri Lanka would be more interesting than India. Toronto is awash with a massive Tamil population.
YYZ-CMB is over 14,000 km so would require a 77L. They probably could do YVR-CMB with a 789 as it is only slightly longer than YYZ-BLR.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
​​​​​​Interesting. You seem pretty convinced that there wouldn't be enough cargo demand. I am surprised. I expected India to be a massive export economy by both sea and air.​​​​​
Transpacificflyer was referring to insufficient freight to India.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newcdn
BLR has a nonstop to SFO
I believe you ... but that's news to me, and it's 500 miles further than YYZ-BLR.

Who flies it?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canopus27
I believe you ... but that's news to me, and it's 500 miles further than YYZ-BLR.

Who flies it?
I don't see any nonstops BLR-SFO, but there is a nonstop DEL-SFO on Air India.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
YYZ-CMB is over 14,000 km so would require a 77L. They probably could do YVR-CMB with a 789 as it is only slightly longer than YYZ-BLR.

Transpacificflyer was referring to insufficient freight to India.
Is it much different than other Asian routes?

And how different would that be for sea shipments?

​​​​​​If the goods are travelling mostly one way, I'm assuming the vessels need to go back anyway...

I mean, I'm not saying AC is about to send a 747 cargo to BLR like KE does to Vancouver either... all I really meant was that maybe what is lost in Y volume could be made up in J/O premiums and cargo, and maybe make the route viable?

I don't have AC's cargo volumes, nor India-Canada import / export numbers, but hearing this surprises me and makes me want to know more about it.

Apologies for being insistant.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I don't see any nonstops BLR-SFO, but there is a nonstop DEL-SFO on Air India.
... and there's also a nonstop DEL-YYZ on AC ... but neither of those flights are what @newcdn mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.