Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover at Toronto en route to USA from Asia - luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I searched the forum but did not find the answer so here it is. Appreciate comments!!
We have an overnight layover at Toronto Pierson Airport before getting on to the last leg of our trip back to USA.
This flight originates in Asia→Toronto→USA (booked with United miles, on AirCanada metal).
Do we need to pick up our luggage and must clear the Canadian Customs (we are staying in the hotel in the airport) to the hotel,
then the next morning do we need to check in those luggage again to USA bound flight?
Also, since our trip is from Asia/international, we are allowed to check-in two 23lbs suitcases (the itinerary includes all legs).
Even if we had to clear the customs to enter Canada with the luggage (just so we could go to hotel and stay overnight),
these luggage can be rechecked to the USA bound flight no problem?

Can you share any experiences with the overnight layover with luggage?
Thank you in advance!!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I don't trust airports to handle my luggage overnight.

Call me overly cautious, but it is what it is.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Can't speak to the international to international connection but when I've had overnight layovers domestically with AC at YYZ I've always had to pick up bags. It's tagged to the final destination at the origin, negating any issues with varying baggage allowances, but the airport baggage system spits it out when it realizes your next flight isn't until tomorrow and you have to recheck the next day.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It's tagged to the final destination at the origin, negating any issues with varying baggage allowances
This is my experience too.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by msiamsia
I searched the forum but did not find the answer so here it is. Appreciate comments!!
We have an overnight layover at Toronto Pierson Airport before getting on to the last leg of our trip back to USA.
This flight originates in Asia→Toronto→USA (booked with United miles, on AirCanada metal).
Do we need to pick up our luggage and must clear the Canadian Customs (we are staying in the hotel in the airport) to the hotel,
then the next morning do we need to check in those luggage again to USA bound flight?
Also, since our trip is from Asia/international, we are allowed to check-in two 23lbs suitcases (the itinerary includes all legs).
Even if we had to clear the customs to enter Canada with the luggage (just so we could go to hotel and stay overnight),

Thank you in advance!!
● Connections at Canadian and U.S. airports:

о Baggage cannot be tagged to final destination if:

Arrival at connecting station is late the night before and connection is the next day;

Arrival at connecting station is early morning (ex. 1 AM or 2 AM)

In short, you will need to pick up your bags and drop them off again the next day.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:16 am

Thank you in advance!!
Checked baggage allowance varies with fare class, origination, destination and *A status.

Generally, from Asia in economy, 2 pieces not heavier than 23kgs, not 23lbs as you have stated and the linear dimension of each piece may not exceed 158cm.

You may check here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e/checked.html
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Premier
I don't think this is optional in your case.

Toronto would be your first entry point to Canada and you'd have to pick it up and check it back in regardless your destination. And considering you'd transit to US, this is even more strict as you'd clear your US immigration and custom at YYZ.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JayEX35
I don't think this is optional in your case.

Toronto would be your first entry point to Canada and you'd have to pick it up and check it back in regardless your destination. And considering you'd transit to US, this is even more strict as you'd clear your US immigration and custom at YYZ.
It is possible to transit YYZ without touching bags. But in the OP's case it will be treated like an arrival at YYZ and a departure the following morning.

To the OP, make sure the agent in Asia tags the bags correctly so that you collect them in YYZ.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:56 pm

It depends upon whether you're starting at an AC station or not. I've personally found that the interline carriers are more than happy to check bags all the way through, even if they sit at a place like YYZ for 12+ hours, or overnight. But AC itself enforces a 4 hour limit, which can be very annoying if you want to hop onto the TTC, head downtown, and come back for a later onwards flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by pitz
It depends upon whether you're starting at an AC station or not. I've personally found that the interline carriers are more than happy to check bags all the way through, even if they sit at a place like YYZ for 12+ hours, or overnight. But AC itself enforces a 4 hour limit, which can be very annoying if you want to hop onto the TTC, head downtown, and come back for a later onwards flight.
The only 4hr rule is check-in prior to departure, which has nothing to do with this scenario. Other carriers may tag bags through however, the result will be the same: Bags will have to be collected. And AC usually does it better than most for passengers going through its own hubs. If entering Canada (whether to go to a hotel or a hockey game), bags will have to be claimed at Canada customs. In fact at that hour, US precearance won't even be open, so transit isn't an option. The passenger will have to check in and drop bags before clearing through US processing the next morning. Bon vol!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!! I feared that we would probably have to pick up our luggage (albeit just the overnight stay, nonetheless we will be entering Canada) and re-check in the next morning. It looks that is the way to go. We will prepare for that. Again, thank you.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Baggage storage: If you have some luggage you won't need overnight, you could store one or more pieces at the luggage store in T1.

Train to downtown: if you have time in the city, the train into downtown recently opened.

Hotel: Consider the Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport. Very convenient.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Baggage storage: If you have some luggage you won't need overnight, you could store one or more pieces at the luggage store in T1.

Train to downtown: if you have time in the city, the train into downtown recently opened.

Hotel: Consider the Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport. Very convenient.
Good post +1
Bonus +1 for including links ^
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi, all. Though of coming back here to tell the result. We learnt that if one needs to enter Canada with your luggage for the overnight layover, then one will lose that 2 free check-in luggage privilege. Our last trip, which would be from Canada to USA, will be restricted to only 1 free check-in luggage. So, we decided to change our itinerary (oh, with a fee for each member of the entire family). Lesson learnt. Thank you.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:48 pm

Hi, all. Though of coming back here to tell the result. We learnt that if one needs to enter Canada with your luggage for the overnight layover, then one will lose that 2 free check-in luggage privilege. Our last trip, which would be from Canada to USA, will be restricted to only 1 free check-in luggage. So, we decided to change our itinerary (oh, with a fee for each member of the entire family). Lesson learnt. Thank you.

Your itinerary should say how many bags of luggage you were allowed, if it said two, I'd just pay, then send a message to AC asking for a refund and if no reply is received in 10 days you will file in small claims court due to breach of contract (your ticket's itinerary).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.