FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Garbage Service on Lost Bag At YVR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1851329-garbage-service-lost-bag-yvr.html)

sneakysix Jul 2, 2017 6:33 pm

Garbage Service on Lost Bag At YVR

Flew YZF->YYC->YVR last night, arrived at 6:30 pm

Had a tight connection in YYC so bag didn't make it. Go over to Baggage Desk, probably 15 people in line, so I stand in the Priority Line (I'm E50, just hit E75K for this year). Three of the agents keep looking at me then pulling people from the main line. After 6 people served before me, I open up my cell and dial AC Baggage Claim number. I start to process my claim over the phone and when one of the agents hears this immediately serves me next. Guy was pleasant, said bag will be here at 8:30 and then we'll cab it to you. Fine.

Go home, had to cancel plans with friends because I needed to be home to wait for this bag as I have another flight out in 24 hours. Agent calls at 8:40 PM says bag is here and on the way in a cab and that the cabby will call when hes here. Great. 9:45pm no call... 10:45 pm no call... 11:45 pm no call... Okay what the hell.. Try to call Agent at YVR back, redirected to AC Call Center in India. Through terrible English agent there says hold on I'll figure it out and call you back. Waited till 2 AM, no call back, no bag. Then today, a shipping company calls me at 11am and says your bag will be dropped between noon and 8 pm. I tell him, buddy I can't be sitting around my house for 8 hours waiting for you. Give me a more specific window. He says, okay Noon-4pm. Fine, just get me my damn bag.

What a crock of sh**. I never really complain about AC, and I'm pretty easy going. Why do AC just blatantly lie to me? I obviously sent in complaint letter to AC which will go nowhere. Whats the best way to handle this situation in the future?

jlisi984 Jul 2, 2017 6:43 pm

Baggage delivery is a PITA. I never like when it's lost on the way home, but I usually ask for the number of the driver in those situations. Works much better in small airports of course - doesn't really work in YYZ or YVR, I know. Otherwise you're pretty much at the mercy of the airline. I've had days sometimes where there's no info. That's just how it is with lost luggage...

yyznomad Jul 2, 2017 8:42 pm

OP - you've summed up how the process normally goes!

Jumper Jack Jul 2, 2017 9:26 pm

Seems like this is one area that AC is always consistent in.

KenHamer Jul 2, 2017 9:51 pm

Somewhere in there there's a joke about garbage service being an improvement over AC baggage retrieval service.

sneakysix Jul 3, 2017 12:23 am

God. That doesn't give me hope to see that this is SOP.

Are other airlines better? I've been trying to stick AC for the last 2 years to get status, but maybe WS is better? Or Maybe I should credit more to United?

Thoughts?

dread_specter Jul 3, 2017 5:26 am

Did you receive your bag yet?

IluvSQ Jul 3, 2017 6:24 am

Yes, in my limited experience, other airlines handle this better than AC.

sneakysix Jul 3, 2017 8:16 am

Yes got my bag.

Jumper Jack Jul 3, 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 28513273)
Somewhere in there there's a joke about garbage service being an improvement over AC baggage retrieval service.

Ironically Toronto garbage service has never failed me aside from the strike years ago.

AC on the other hand.....

lcohen999 Jul 3, 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 28514201)
Yes, in my limited experience, other airlines handle this better than AC.

I had a lost bag with ANZ a few years back. After calls and promises and what not, I ended up telling them to transfer the bag to the domestic terminal and I would grab it 48 hours after I landed in Auckland.

I used my Amex insurance to cover me since then. Needless to say, it was a mess with no straight answer

Wpgjetse Jul 4, 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sneakysix (Post 28512740)
Flew YZF->YYC->YVR last night, arrived at 6:30 pm

Had a tight connection in YYC so bag didn't make it. Go over to Baggage Desk, probably 15 people in line, so I stand in the Priority Line (I'm E50, just hit E75K for this year). Three of the agents keep looking at me then pulling people from the main line. After 6 people served before me, I open up my cell and dial AC Baggage Claim number. I start to process my claim over the phone and when one of the agents hears this immediately serves me next. Guy was pleasant, said bag will be here at 8:30 and then we'll cab it to you. Fine.

Go home, had to cancel plans with friends because I needed to be home to wait for this bag as I have another flight out in 24 hours. Agent calls at 8:40 PM says bag is here and on the way in a cab and that the cabby will call when hes here. Great. 9:45pm no call... 10:45 pm no call... 11:45 pm no call... Okay what the hell.. Try to call Agent at YVR back, redirected to AC Call Center in India. Through terrible English agent there says hold on I'll figure it out and call you back. Waited till 2 AM, no call back, no bag. Then today, a shipping company calls me at 11am and says your bag will be dropped between noon and 8 pm. I tell him, buddy I can't be sitting around my house for 8 hours waiting for you. Give me a more specific window. He says, okay Noon-4pm. Fine, just get me my damn bag.

What a crock of sh**. I never really complain about AC, and I'm pretty easy going. Why do AC just blatantly lie to me? I obviously sent in complaint letter to AC which will go nowhere. Whats the best way to handle this situation in the future?

I always get my bags delivered to my office or held at the airport.

sneakysix Jul 5, 2017 12:02 am

Just got a call - July 4 at 7pm EST.

India call center - Hello, we are just following up on your recent call to the AC baggage centre. Uhhh... What do you mean? We have a call logged July 1 saying we are supposed to call you back. Are you F***** kidding me?

"We are tracking your bag right now real time, it will be delivered tomorrow to your home address". My bag was delivered July 2 at 4pm. ........ silence....... Thank you for receiving such great service from Air Canada we look forward to having you aboard in the future!

I couldn't believe it. What a complete joke of a company. I used to think the AC bashers were a bit too overzealous, but now I've seen the light. I am going to minimize my spend on AC and just book J on other airlines when I can. Unfortunately a lot of my work travel is domestic where AC makes more sense than WS. That being said, all of my international travel is going to be moved to non-ac Airlines. Just incredible. This should be a case study at business schools for the worst way to run a business model

longtimeflyin Jul 5, 2017 6:42 am

Air Canada should consider offering a premium luggage delivery service, similar to On My Way, but for bags. The handling of baggage by this airline is laughable and is a reason why I always buy baggage insurance from an insurance provider. I expect to not have my bag upon arrival with this airline.

dread_specter Jul 5, 2017 6:55 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 28521621)
Air Canada should consider offering a premium luggage delivery service, similar to On My Way, but for bags. The handling of baggage by this airline is laughable and is a reason why I always buy baggage insurance from an insurance provider. I expect to not have my bag upon arrival with this airline.

There are major improvements in the pipe with regards to baggage tracing and recovery. Expect some changes in the next 4 or so weeks.