Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward Flight Selections - Getting worse and worse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles

Hi fellow frequent flyers. I've been observing and reading FlyerTalk for a while, but this is my first time posting. So please be patient ..

I have been flying Air Canada for the last 3 years and using Aeroplan credit cards, so I was able to rack up points quickly and redeeming flights often. I travel between Vancouver and Toronto a lot for family visits, and selections of flights have been great, until the beginning of 2017.. I notice that reward flight options between YYZ and YVR have greatly diminished. While flights are still available, most, if not all, are in the morning before 9am in the morning going from YYZ to YVR, or connecting flights with stops in YUL, YYC, YWG, or YEG.

Just want to know what everyone thinks and you experiences!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:49 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I think that it's just a matter of loads getting higher so award availability is going down. You're looking at a very popular non-stop route so filled planes at preferable times isn't surprising.

Im doing more transatlantic J awards. I've found that I can find something around what I'm looking for but that's single connections and I don't care about the connection point.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I think that it's just a matter of loads getting higher so award availability is going down. You're looking at a very popular non-stop route so filled planes at preferable times isn't surprising.
I don't think it works like that between AC and AE. More likely, there are more people getting rewards earlier.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Welcome to (posting on) FT!

Are you looking for J or Y rewards? How far out do you usually book (or try to book)?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BackSlash3

Im doing more transatlantic J awards. I've found that I can find something around what I'm looking for but that's single connections and I don't care about the connection point.
I have considered that. But I only notice the change in availability pretty much immediately after the new year. So I can only assume that the program structure in the backend has changed.

As they now start selling Premium econ for the YYZ-YVR route, the reward fights are even worse. Just an observation.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't think it works like that between AC and AE. More likely, there are more people getting rewards earlier.
I typically book a week to a month ahead. Never had problems (very rarely) finding reward flights. But since Jan 2017, reward flight choices were just not even close to what it was like just two months ago.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Welcome to (posting on) FT!

Are you looking for J or Y rewards? How far out do you usually book (or try to book)?
I've had both, and again, choices were plenty before Jan 2017. Now it's mostly early morning flights or with convoluted connections.

If they change it they change it. It's nothing much I can do. But I just want to know if others also see the trend.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Staniel
But I just want to know if others also see the trend.
I've also had some struggles getting award flights, even with IKK. Not sure what's behind it. It may be that loads are higher, but I've noticed that on at least one route I fly relatively frequently, capacity has been cut (which may be in part why loads are higher).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Staniel
I typically book a week to a month ahead. Never had problems (very rarely) finding reward flights. But since Jan 2017, reward flight choices were just not even close to what it was like just two months ago.
I personally don't EXPECT award seats to be open a month out. Great if they are but i would not be upset if they were not available.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I personally don't EXPECT award seats to be open a month out. Great if they are but i would not be upset if they were not available.
I've booked seats as late as on the same day as the flight.

All I am saying is I've notice the availability of reward flights have drastically gone down since the beginning of 2017. It's very obvious to me, and I am just curious if anyone else feel the same.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I haven't noticed any difference but I am mostly looking at J to Asia on Star Alliance partners. AC availability actually looks great but I would never book it because of YQ.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What do you mean?

There is a contractual obligation to release 8% of seats, per route, per month (I think that's accurate?).

That doesn't mean a 100 seat plane will have 8 seats available. It means that a 10,000 seat/month route will have 800 seats available.

That being said, I recently booked a six segment weekend (one day out), and most segments were booked with a fare basis of IBP00. Only a few required my SE IJBP00 (i.e. IKK).

Yes, the YVR-YYZ required IKK.

AC may have improved their RM systems such that popular flights are less likely to be released, but they are under very strict contractual terms with Aeroplan.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What do you mean?

There is a contractual obligation to release 8% of seats, per route, per month (I think that's accurate?).
Precisely. If AC provides the same number of seats but more people get rewards, result is that it gets harder to get a reward late in time.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Precisely. If AC provides the same number of seats but more people get rewards, result is that it gets harder to get a reward late in time.
Ah, yes, agreed.

Though AC also tends to release seats closer to departure if they know they won't sell them, although that tends to be Y, not J.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
There are several airlines for Aeroplan redemptions where I expect award seats about a month out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.