Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC loses baggage of at least 6 J pax on my flight (including me)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

I flew AC885 from CDG to YUL on June 29 in J. My bag never arrived and I was surprised to see that I was not alone. At least 5 J pax around me faced the same problem.

As of today, the worldtracer website still shows that my bag is missing "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER." This is a flight back home so AC rep refuses to pay any compensations for the delayed bag (which does not really make sense since all but one of my underwear were in that bag and I obviously need to purchase new ones lol.)

This is the first time I fly AC and TBH, I was quite impressed with the hard product (seat and meal are great). Now I have to think twice about considering flying them again.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Investigate European baggage regulations.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

Ask AC for your compensation the actual expenses you have incurred. (It's not free money, of course; it is compensation for your expenses caused by the loss or delay, as you have noted.)

They will explain that it is not their policy to compensate you.
If you persist, they may offer a small amount as a special consideration.
If you ask them to explain the discrepancy between their offer and this law, the remainder may follow.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Investigate European baggage regulations.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

Ask AC for your compensation the actual expenses you have incurred. (It's not free money, of course; it is compensation for your expenses caused by the loss or delay, as you have noted.)

They will explain that it is not their policy to compensate you.
If you persist, they may offer a small amount as a special consideration.
If you ask them to explain the discrepancy between their offer and this law, the remainder may follow.
Thank you. Given the interaction I have had with AC so far, I guess I will try to claim the expense from my credit card instead.

I somewhat hoped that my bag would show up after a few days. However, now that day 2 has passed and worldtracer still does not find anything, I guess I should start treating it as a lost and move on.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godsquare
Thank you. Given the interaction I have had with AC so far, I guess I will try to claim the expense from my credit card instead.
I don't think (most) credit cards cover when flying home either. Of course if the luggage is lost, then they would cover. But then so would AC, up to some limit.

I somewhat hoped that my bag would show up after a few days. However, now that day 2 has passed and worldtracer still does not find anything, I guess I should start treating it as a lost and move on.
Don't give up home. They really don't like having to pay for your luggage.

Seems like that's what happens with priority luggage...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Don't give up home. They really don't like having to pay for your luggage.

Seems like that's what happens with priority luggage...
From what I have read online, AC really does not like having to pay for the luggage even when it is permanently lost
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Thank you. Given the interaction I have had with AC so far, I guess I will try to claim the expense from my credit card instead..
Trust me...that's the way to go. Don't waste time with AC on this matter. Its like pulling a tooth.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Trust me...that's the way to go. Don't waste time with AC on this matter. Its like pulling a tooth.
No it's not.

CC won't pay.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
No it's not.

CC won't pay.
​​​​​​Oh. Didn't see the home flight part.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

No it's not.

CC won't pay.
I read through the terms of my CC's luggage delay insurance. I don't see anything that would prevent me from claiming the incidental reimbursement even though it is the flight that takes me home.

My CC is US Chase Sapphire Preferred if it matters.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The EU law is remarkably robust. They bought me a new suit and a couple blouses to tide me over on my impending trip as my business wardrobe was in the waylaid bag. Do not cash any interim cheques because the endorsement stamp waives all rights to additional compensation. Just keep writing back asking for the rest of the compensation as appropriate.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read through the terms of my CC's luggage delay insurance. I don't see anything that would prevent me from claiming the incidental reimbursement even though it is the flight that takes me home.

My CC is US Chase Sapphire Preferred if it matters.
Then it differs from my amex. Or my TD visa, i believe.

Incidentally, if that's the case, I strongly suspect after covering the expenses, the cc will go after AC.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
How do you lose luggage on a nonstop flight?
that's quite the achievement

And how do you not know where it is?
Like if it stayed behind because of weight issues, should the airline not know that?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Like if it stayed behind because of weight issues, should the airline not know that?
Easier than you think? Large airports like CDG, it is usually the airports fault. Airport system miss scans baggage tag, guess what? Bag is lost.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu

The bag could be loaded on to the wrong flight, or the tag could be missing. Many bad things can happen.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:24 am

I flew AC885 from CDG to YUL on June 29 in J. My bag never arrived and I was surprised to see that I was not alone. At least 5 J pax around me faced the same problem.

As of today, the worldtracer website still shows that my bag is missing "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER." This is a flight back home so AC rep refuses to pay any compensations for the delayed bag (which does not really make sense since all but one of my underwear were in that bag and I obviously need to purchase new ones lol.)

This is the first time I fly AC and TBH, I was quite impressed with the hard product (seat and meal are great). Now I have to think twice about considering flying them again.
There are many different reasons why bags get lost, some of which have been named, and in this case, I suspect a ULD that wasn't loaded or sent to the wrong gate, thus why 6 pax would be missing their bags in the same cabin.
Have you made a baggage declaration? If you did, PM me your AHL number...

Btw, a good practice for travellers is to leave a 8x11.5 sheet with your name, phone no, routing and address INSIDE the suitcase so that if your bag ends up tagless or mistagged, the airline doesn't have to wait until you make a declaration then try to match it with the content description the airport makes. This means your bag will end up missing for a week instead of a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.