Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC loses baggage of at least 6 J pax on my flight (including me)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC loses baggage of at least 6 J pax on my flight (including me)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dread_specter
There are many different reasons why bags get lost, some of which have been named, and in this case, I suspect a ULD that wasn't loaded or sent to the wrong gate, thus why 6 pax would be missing their bags in the same cabin.
Have you made a baggage declaration? If you did, PM me your AHL number...

Btw, a good practice for travellers is to leave a 8x11.5 sheet with your name, phone no, routing and address INSIDE the suitcase so that if your bag ends up tagless or mistagged, the airline doesn't have to wait until you make a declaration then try to match it with the content description the airport makes. This means your bag will end up missing for a week instead of a few hours.
Just sent you a PM.

I have not made a baggage declaration yet since I was told that I have to wait at least 5 days to do so.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
Just sent you a PM.

I have not made a baggage declaration yet since I was told that I have to wait at least 5 days to do so.
Replied.

Keep me in touch, I'll see what can be done.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Btw, a good practice for travellers is to leave a 8x11.5 sheet with your name, phone no, routing and address INSIDE the suitcase so that if your bag ends up tagless or mistagged, the airline doesn't have to wait until you make a declaration then try to match it with the content description the airport makes. This means your bag will end up missing for a week instead of a few hours.
This is a very good idea. Never thought about it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:07 pm

I think if you have to take all your underpants on an overseas trip, buying a few additional ones may also be a good idea regardless.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think if you have to take all your underpants on an overseas trip, buying a few additional ones may also be a good idea regardless.
Only when my luggage gets delayed and insurance pays.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
That's a good advice

I don't normally pack all my underwear for a trip but this trip is unusually long. I do have a few spare pieces but I really hate them
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I don't think all my underwears fit in one carryon...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Of course my problem is not the underthings, which I do have on overstock back home, but if the outerthings are all in the non-delivered bag, we're suddenly in that nightmare where you're in an important meeting in your underthings....
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Of course my problem is not the underthings, which I do have on overstock back home, but if the outerthings are all in the non-delivered bag, we're suddenly in that nightmare where you're in an important meeting in your underthings....
A little off topic, but this reminds me of the YYZ-YOW flight where I had to decide whether wear a t-shirt I'd had on for ~36 hours, or a Star Trek Halloween costume.

I opted for the dirty t-shirt.

But it was a VERY close call.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Chairing the first session at a conference wearing my t-shirt and jeans. In Moscow.

But I did buy Italian silk underwear at a shop at the Radisson. Compliments of Amex.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Trust me...that's the way to go. Don't waste time with AC on this matter. Its like pulling a tooth.

I disagree. The process can be slow when the weather is bad, but it is not like pulling a tooth.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I disagree. The process can be slow when the weather is bad, but it is not like pulling a tooth.
I almost replied to agree with you, but I'm actually at the point where I don't want to agree with things you say, because they're often so ridiculous.

And I think a lot of people on FT would call me an AC apologist, so that says a lot.

So back on topic, my best experience with a delayed bag on AC required a concierge to go down into the baggage room hunting for a bag with my tag on it (hey, those tags do serve a purpose!). I was without my bag for 36 hours.

Needless to say, checking my insulin was stupid. Checking my clothes was not stupid.

But I didn't want to appear like the stupidest SE, so I sent AC a bill for t-shirts (including the Superman shirt), underwear, and socks.

I was very appreciative that insulin is cheap in Canada.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Just a small update that I finally received my luggage back after 6 days. Now let's see how hard it is to claim an interim expense with my CC insurance.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
Just a small update that I finally received my luggage back after 6 days. Now let's see how hard it is to claim an interim expense with my CC insurance.
They will more often than not request a letter from the airline showing the amount of compensation that the airline provided as interim before issuing a payment. I suggest contacting AC via the website, under the subject "baggage claim", to request an insurance letter. If you were flying back to your "home" station, AC will not compensate you because the terms of carriage state that they do not offer interim when you're flying in to your home station, however the letter would state that they haven't issued payment at all, which should make it easier for you when you press your claim with the CC company.

Good luck with the claim!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

They will more often than not request a letter from the airline showing the amount of compensation that the airline provided as interim before issuing a payment. I suggest contacting AC via the website, under the subject "baggage claim", to request an insurance letter. If you were flying back to your "home" station, AC will not compensate you because the terms of carriage state that they do not offer interim when you're flying in to your home station, however the letter would state that they haven't issued payment at all, which should make it easier for you when you press your claim with the CC company.

Good luck with the claim!
Just submitted the request for the insurance letter. Based on what I have read on FT, I might need more luck to get the insurance letter (in a timely manner) than to get the claim itself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.