Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC secrect “travel ban” for middle eastern frequent flyers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC secrect “travel ban” for middle eastern frequent flyers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ericw
Well, I tried to write to AC Customer Relations and got a useless generic response. I also tried different ID combinations, PP only, PP+KTN, KTN only in APIS - nothing worked. So, I reluctantly applied for redress # on DHS website.

Now, as long as I have the redress # in my AC reservation (regardless if I add KTN or not), I am OK for OLCI when using TK ffq.

So, solution: get a redress # from DHS is you are AC DHP.
So maybe the issue was with DHS not AC ?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vernonc
So maybe the issue was with DHS not AC ?
But it was weird that i only get DHP treatment at AC, but not UA/AA etc. I think it is just AC's bad IT or internal policy that it would ignore the ID info entered into the PNR unless manually verified for a suspected DHP...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
But it was weird that i only get DHP treatment at AC, but not UA/AA etc. I think it is just AC's bad IT or internal policy that it would ignore the ID info entered into the PNR unless manually verified for a suspected DHP...
Your thread title is a bit confusing... do you mean "middle eastern frequent flyers" as in:

1. frequent flyers who are of middle eastern descent and have what some might interpret as a "middle eastern" name
2. frequent flyers who may or may not be of middle eastern descent, but often fly to/from the middle east?

If you have now confirmed that the redress number has rectified your issue because your name is the same or similar to someone on the AC DHP list, then you should modify your thread title to be more accurate.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Your thread title is a bit confusing... do you mean "middle eastern frequent flyers" as in:

1. frequent flyers who are of middle eastern descent and have what some might interpret as a "middle eastern" name
2. frequent flyers who may or may not be of middle eastern descent, but often fly to/from the middle east?
homeland security has to do with it.
Sounded like the issue was neither, but

3. frequent (?) flyers who credit their miles to some middle eastern airline.

I can understand that Ac would make them go through hoops. :-) I don't understand what homeland security has to do with it. But then maybe they have long arms. And or AC is in bed with them...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

OK. First time flying AC after avoiding them for the last 2 months for intl travels and ytz domestic. ..., ACs system is flagging me again on a TK award ticket with redress and KTN in APIS.

The agent at Isle 1 made the TK vs AP FTP comment again.

Oh well, I guess I am not flying AC anymore.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Question

OK. First time flying AC after avoiding them for the last 2 months for intl travels and ytz domestic. ..., ACs system is flagging me again on a TK award ticket with redress and KTN in APIS.

The agent at Isle 1 made the TK vs AP FTP comment again.

Oh well, I guess I am not flying AC anymore.
This could be a wild (Canadian) goose chase, but... Does your first or last name contain non-alpha characters (e.g. a hyphen or a space) or exceed 20 characters (not both names combined, just first or last)?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue2002
This could be a wild (Canadian) goose chase, but... Does your first or last name contain non-alpha characters (e.g. a hyphen or a space) or exceed 20 characters (not both names combined, just first or last)?
no. And i do not have a middle name that i can add to the res. Oh well...i dont think there is any solution other than using AP at this point... if they could tell i am not the guy actually on the list by swiping my pp. I dont know why IT cannot use my info stored in APIS. If AC doesnt think it is a serious enough issue to solve for passengers like me, i dont need to fly with them either
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Mmmmm, have you tried wearing the home made tin foil hat? I have found when one does this, you are usually left alone! I would caution you that this must be taken off prior to security unless you have the accompanying ceremonial decoder ring!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Another unfortunately update:

Until recently, I could somewhat deal with the inconvenience by flying UA and occasionally book one or two codeshare legs operated by AC. As long as AC was not the first leg, UA had no problem issuing me BP. I always had my passport #, KTN (nexus) # and redress # on file.

Yesterday, I came back from SJD via IAH. UA at SJD wasn't able to issue me BP from IAH-YYZ (on AC) which used to be okay. After I arrived at IAH, I still wasn't able to self check in using AP app. As I expected, the AC agent at IAH told me it was indeed because of DHP. It seemed there might have been some IT change on AC and it would block suspected DHP even on interline tickets vetted by partner airline.

To make the matter worse, even though both AC.com and the app showed my TK FFP and status, the AC boarding pass had no ffp or status and I received Zone 4. The agent confirmed that she entered the # on her system again, reprinted twice, still no status...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.