Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Aeroplan blocking Ethiopian business class award seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I need a specific flight on ET to include in my mini-RTW, but it looks like Aeroplan is blocking it. Here is a screenshot from ANA showing two business class seats available on the flight:

And from LifeMiles:

Aeroplan does not show it in business class:

I cannot take TK flights because I already connect via IST earlier in the itinerary.

Aeroplan shows economy class fine. Same for other European destinations. Economy class is open, while business class is not available on any flight on any date I searched.

Is Aeroplan blocking ET business class award seats?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
ET generally seems to make 2 I seats per flight available to Aeroplan..

Sometimes when you book economy, an ET business seat does open up about 3hrs before the flight. The bad news is when it happened go me, it was 12:05 to 12:30 AM Toronto time. ET wanted to upgrade me but could not do so unless I called Aeroplan. Aeroplan closes from midnight to 7AM to serve its cust.... err, shareholders, better.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
ET generally seems to make 2 I seats per flight available to Aeroplan..

Sometimes when you book economy, an ET business seat does open up about 3hrs before the flight. The bad news is when it happened go me, it was 12:05 to 12:30 AM Toronto time. ET wanted to upgrade me but could not do so unless I called Aeroplan. Aeroplan closes from midnight to 7AM to serve its cust.... err, shareholders, better.
Cheap pax these days, want to sit in J on a J award ticket but won't even pay for a time machine.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Cheap pax these days, want to sit in J on a J award ticket but won't even pay for a time machine.
Marty, Marty, ... MARTY! Get in the car, we're getting J seats!

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
The ET availability has been flaky.

I was looking at HKG->NRT on ET in J versus NH on the old 763.

There was 2 seats for a while, and then they vanished. Showed up again a few days later and vanished for a few weeks. Showed up again earlier this week and are now gone again.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The only thing you can do is call Aeroplan. They have helped me get seats not 'showing' in the online inventory.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
I am in the same boat nothing on AC web site for ET business booking.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by The smallest state
The only thing you can do is call Aeroplan. They have helped me get seats not 'showing' in the online inventory.
https://www5.aeroplan.com/Myths.do?currentLanguage=en

Not according to Aeroplan and their marketing geniuses (and senior management)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
https://www5.aeroplan.com/Myths.do?currentLanguage=en

Not according to Aeroplan and their marketing geniuses (and senior management)
Ha! Great catch. I love how they say "we're bringing the truth behind 16 Aeroplan myths, and here are 4 more". These marketing geniuses have so oversold and underdelivered they have 20 'myths' they are trying to make right.

Then they put a big "some exceptions apply"

CALL AEROPLAN
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Called Aeroplan.

Talked to a very knowledgeable agent. He confirmed that at the moment there are NO business class award seats available on any ET flights in the Aeroplan system. He called "another department" and then told me they can see that the seats are actually available by direct booking in the starnet, but said that those seats cannot be booked because they were not released to Aeroplan and they are not allowed to do a direct booking.

So yes, in effect, Aeroplan blocks all ET business class awards seats at the moment.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Update: Aeroplan is still blocking all Ethiopian business class award space. Example:

Two business class award seats available ARN-ADD-VFA on June 13 via LifeMiles:

Two business class award seats available ARN-ADD-VFA on June 13 via ANA:

Those seats are NOT available via Aeroplan:

Economy class is available via Aeroplan, but not business, on any ET flights.

I need ET flights to be within MPM for my routing. Is there any solution?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If it saves your booking I'd just take the hit and sit Y, but that sucks.

I'd call and see what they say. I had a whole routing ready with availability on the UA search/EF and AP. I called Singapore to book it...they basically told me none of the flights were available.

I fed them the flights one by one and suddenly all the flights were available...EXCEPT Air Canada, I saw like 8 flights with all "regular" award space, not priority, and the SQ rep could only see 1. She said what each airline gives to another as availability is different, which we all know. But maybe its a case of AC giving bad J availability to ET so they do the same in return?

Of course this could all be moot, they could just be blocking it lol.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
If it saves your booking I'd just take the hit and sit Y, but that sucks.

I'd call and see what they say. I had a whole routing ready with availability on the UA search/EF and AP. I called Singapore to book it...they basically told me none of the flights were available.

I fed them the flights one by one and suddenly all the flights were available...EXCEPT Air Canada, I saw like 8 flights with all "regular" award space, not priority, and the SQ rep could only see 1. She said what each airline gives to another as availability is different, which we all know. But maybe its a case of AC giving bad J availability to ET so they do the same in return?

Of course this could all be moot, they could just be blocking it lol.
AC gives all partners the same availability. SQ and UA get the same.

But Aeroplan has greater availability.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:10 pm

Has anyone have any luck booking ET in business class? Does anyone know when was the last time business class was available for Aeroplan? I need it to complete a journey and I can see availability on ANA/Copa but it isn't showing in Aeroplan. I'm not traveling until May so not sure if I should wait and hope availability will ever come back or just settle for economy. Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:39 am

Aeroplan: I can only see ET Y seats
United: I do not see ANY ET awards seats
ANA: I see both ET Y and J seats.

I called Aeroplan and asked the rep to check for ET J seats, and as expected she said there was no availability, I then mentioned that I am also an ANA member, and I can see and book ET J seats at the ANA website. But before I could escalate to ask for a supervisor to do a direct booking, she said that others have been asking about this and had been instructed to inform me that UNLESS it shows up on Aeroplan's systems, they can NOT book ET J for me. She was very curt and blunt, so I didn't push for a supervisor.

I haven't called back to try with another rep yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.