Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Aeroplan blocking Ethiopian business class award seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Aeroplan blocking Ethiopian business class award seats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by WKnight
Aeroplan: I can only see ET Y seats
United: I do not see ANY ET awards seats
ANA: I see both ET Y and J seats.

I called Aeroplan and asked the rep to check for ET J seats, and as expected she said there was no availability, I then mentioned that I am also an ANA member, and I can see and book ET J seats at the ANA website. But before I could escalate to ask for a supervisor to do a direct booking, she said that others have been asking about this and had been instructed to inform me that UNLESS it shows up on Aeroplan's systems, they can NOT book ET J for me. She was very curt and blunt, so I didn't push for a supervisor.

I haven't called back to try with another rep yet.

Thanks for the update, I am actually looking at a routing that would use Ethiopian in one direction so any further updates would be appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

After multiple calls, Aeroplan refused to do a direct booking. So only economy is available on Ethiopian. I had to change a destination on my mini-RTW because of that. Now my itinerary does not have any ET segments:

YVR-YYZ-IAD-BRU-DME
VKO-IST-SEZ
SEZ-IST-TPE
TPE-YVR

Also, Aeroplan cannot see any UA flights beyond T-330, even though UA releases award seats at about T-335 or T-340. By the time it gets to T-330, all desirable UA inventory is gone. In this case, Aeroplan also refused to do a direct booking, and my preferred UA flight was gone, but I was lucky that IAD-BRU survived until T-330 and I was able to book it.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by xtremester
Has anyone have any luck booking ET in business class? Does anyone know when was the last time business class was available for Aeroplan? I need it to complete a journey and I can see availability on ANA/Copa but it isn't showing in Aeroplan. I'm not traveling until May so not sure if I should wait and hope availability will ever come back or just settle for economy. Thanks
I have booked ET in J twice for a friend of mine from Douala in Cameroon to USA.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I have booked ET in J twice for a friend of mine from Douala in Cameroon to USA.
When did you do that? Aeroplan started blocking ET J two or three months ago.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by echino
When did you do that? Aeroplan started blocking ET J two or three months ago.
Last winter and this spring (March).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Last winter and this spring (March).
Thanks, but it would be nice to get a more recent report of Aeroplan bookable ET J, as this seems to be a relatively new issue.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by echino
After multiple calls, Aeroplan refused to do a direct booking. So only economy is available on Ethiopian. I had to change a destination on my mini-RTW because of that. Now my itinerary does not have any ET segments:

YVR-YYZ-IAD-BRU-DME
VKO-IST-SEZ
SEZ-IST-TPE
TPE-YVR

Also, Aeroplan cannot see any UA flights beyond T-330, even though UA releases award seats at about T-335 or T-340. By the time it gets to T-330, all desirable UA inventory is gone. In this case, Aeroplan also refused to do a direct booking, and my preferred UA flight was gone, but I was lucky that IAD-BRU survived until T-330 and I was able to book it.
Thank you. I think I will just stop looking daily then, for ET J at the Aero site.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:11 pm

Successful booking in J (hopefully)

It's been some time since the original post, but I wanted to share my recent experiences regarding this topic. Apologies for the detail, but I've included as much as possible in case it helps anyone out there.

Before each call to Aeroplan, I checked award space for 2x passengers RT in J on ET 505/504 between LAX-DUB on the dates I wanted to travel Jun/Jul 2018:
  • Expertflyer showed availability in Y and J
  • UA showed no availability (expected due to recent reports of blocking)
  • Aeroplan showed availability in Y but not J (expected per this thread)
  • Lifemiles showed availability in both Y and J (matched Expertflyer)
  • Krisflyer (call center) showed availability in Y and J (matched Expertflyer)

On Friday, 01-Sep-2017 at around 7:00 PM EDT (GMT-4), I called the Aeroplan US Call Center at +1-800-361-5373. After reaching an agent, I fed the agent information, and she was able to confirm availability in Y but not J. I asked to speak to a supervisor, citing that I had on good authority I knew J space to be available. I asked if she could perform a "long sell or manual sell." She balked at the suggestion, telling me that the supervisor wouldn't be able to help me out more than she could. I reassured her that while she was extremely helpful, and I believed her, I wanted to ensure I performed adequate due diligence for my own personal needs. She reiterated that this wasn't something they were empowered to escalate to a supervisor, and I decided to drop the issue. I had somewhere else I needed to be, and it was the outcome I expected.

On Tuesday, 05-Sep-2017 at around 9:00 PM EDT (GMT-4), I called the same call center and followed the same prompts to reach an agent. I immediately asked whether it was possible to "long sell, manually issue, or manually request award seats from a partner carrier." The agent confirmed no seats were available in J, and I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor for the same reasons as above. After being met with similar resistance as before, I pushed the issue again and the agent agreed to transfer me. The agent then reassured me that a supervisor would end up telling me the same thing.

After a 12 minute hold, the supervisor arrived on the line and seemed to have been briefed with my desired routing while I was on hold. I made the same request to long sell to the supervisor, and he immediately sprung into action. He seemed to know exactly what to do without me having to hint around. He was extremely competent and friendly, not at all annoyed that I'd escalated the issue.

After requesting the space for 2x passengers in J, they came back with conformable space, and he was able to ticket the award without issue, on the spot. He even proactively volunteered to waive the 30 CAD phone booking fee when I asked about the total cost for taxes and fees (I've heard this is nigh impossible). After ticketing, while he had the AC record locator available, he did not yet have the ET record locator information. I was able to retrieve the ET record locators this with a follow up call to Aeroplan today <24 hrs later. ET's online interface confirms that I'm ticketed.

I can't recall the exact language he used, but during the process, he seemed to reference the fact that he was building some sort of "case file" when referring to the long sell. He also mentioned that they "typically don't do this" and gave the standard line that "partner carriers don't always release the same number of award seats to Aeroplan as for other programs."

From other posts on Flyertalk, I feel like my experience may have been the exception rather than the norm. As the constant pessimist, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong. Hopefully this information is helpful to someone.
italdesign likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by asarious
It's been some time since the original post, but I wanted to share my recent experiences regarding this topic. Apologies for the detail, but I've included as much as possible in case it helps anyone out there.

Before each call to Aeroplan, I checked award space for 2x passengers RT in J on ET 505/504 between LAX-DUB on the dates I wanted to travel Jun/Jul 2018:
  • Expertflyer showed availability in Y and J
  • UA showed no availability (expected due to recent reports of blocking)
  • Aeroplan showed availability in Y but not J (expected per this thread)
  • Lifemiles showed availability in both Y and J (matched Expertflyer)
  • Krisflyer (call center) showed availability in Y and J (matched Expertflyer)

On Friday, 01-Sep-2017 at around 7:00 PM EDT (GMT-4), I called the Aeroplan US Call Center at +1-800-361-5373. After reaching an agent, I fed the agent information, and she was able to confirm availability in Y but not J. I asked to speak to a supervisor, citing that I had on good authority I knew J space to be available. I asked if she could perform a "long sell or manual sell." She balked at the suggestion, telling me that the supervisor wouldn't be able to help me out more than she could. I reassured her that while she was extremely helpful, and I believed her, I wanted to ensure I performed adequate due diligence for my own personal needs. She reiterated that this wasn't something they were empowered to escalate to a supervisor, and I decided to drop the issue. I had somewhere else I needed to be, and it was the outcome I expected.

On Tuesday, 05-Sep-2017 at around 9:00 PM EDT (GMT-4), I called the same call center and followed the same prompts to reach an agent. I immediately asked whether it was possible to "long sell, manually issue, or manually request award seats from a partner carrier." The agent confirmed no seats were available in J, and I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor for the same reasons as above. After being met with similar resistance as before, I pushed the issue again and the agent agreed to transfer me. The agent then reassured me that a supervisor would end up telling me the same thing.

After a 12 minute hold, the supervisor arrived on the line and seemed to have been briefed with my desired routing while I was on hold. I made the same request to long sell to the supervisor, and he immediately sprung into action. He seemed to know exactly what to do without me having to hint around. He was extremely competent and friendly, not at all annoyed that I'd escalated the issue.

After requesting the space for 2x passengers in J, they came back with conformable space, and he was able to ticket the award without issue, on the spot. He even proactively volunteered to waive the 30 CAD phone booking fee when I asked about the total cost for taxes and fees (I've heard this is nigh impossible). After ticketing, while he had the AC record locator available, he did not yet have the ET record locator information. I was able to retrieve the ET record locators this with a follow up call to Aeroplan today <24 hrs later. ET's online interface confirms that I'm ticketed.

I can't recall the exact language he used, but during the process, he seemed to reference the fact that he was building some sort of "case file" when referring to the long sell. He also mentioned that they "typically don't do this" and gave the standard line that "partner carriers don't always release the same number of award seats to Aeroplan as for other programs."

From other posts on Flyertalk, I feel like my experience may have been the exception rather than the norm. As the constant pessimist, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong. Hopefully this information is helpful to someone.
Thank you for taking the time to post this very useful information! I think a lot of it will hinge upon how good and willing the supervisor will be to do the "untypical". Congratulations!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Ethiopian J still blocked by Aeroplan ? Why ?!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Not familiar with the expression "long sell". Can you pls explain?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:06 pm

@Bartolo

I believe it's also commonly called a "manual sell," where the ticketing carrier/program (Aeroplan in this case) will request award space from the operating carrier (Ethiopian).

An imperfect but nevertheless appropriate analogy is a situation where I'm shopping on behalf of a friend:

Searching a retailer's website, the item my friend wants is listed as out of stock. At this point, I'd tell my friend that it's not available for purchase. Applying the long sell methodology, I've now called the store and told an employee to check the stock room, because I know they just received a shipment of this item and their website isn't accurate. The employee comes back and confirms they do have the item available for sale, and the transaction proceeds.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by asarious
@Bartolo

I believe it's also commonly called a "manual sell," where the ticketing carrier/program (Aeroplan in this case) will request award space from the operating carrier (Ethiopian).

An imperfect but nevertheless appropriate analogy is a situation where I'm shopping on behalf of a friend:

Searching a retailer's website, the item my friend wants is listed as out of stock. At this point, I'd tell my friend that it's not available for purchase. Applying the long sell methodology, I've now called the store and told an employee to check the stock room, because I know they just received a shipment of this item and their website isn't accurate. The employee comes back and confirms they do have the item available for sale, and the transaction proceeds.
Got it, thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:04 pm

I just booked 2 J seats on ET from EBB to KTM for Nov 1. 2018.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by jhartley15
I just booked 2 J seats on ET from EBB to KTM for Nov 1. 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.