New Air Canada plane: Embraer 463!

Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by songsc
There are two much more common types of mysterious planes. I routinely hear airlines staff and even some SDs, not necessarily from AC, talk about Boeing 787-800 and 787-900.
While I get your point, we all know what they mean by those.

I still have no idea what an Embraer 463 is.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:42 pm

Q400 or Embraer463.

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I was on YYZ-YQB yesterday.

The gate agent told passengers that we would be on a smaller airplane than normal

Since I knew we were scheduled for a Q400, this caught my attention. Perhaps a Dash8-200 or 100?

She then advised that because it was 'a smaller Embraer', that luggage normally taken on board would not be allowed, and it should be gate checked.

Since I am a gate lice at times. she looked at me and told me to check my bag.

Curious, I queried her. She said it was a 'smaller Embraer.'

Curious further, I asked her. "It's an Embraer 463", she said.

I was quite looking forward to enjoying this new experience.

On board, of course, it was Bombardier Q400. Big disappointment! But apparently, a model of the Q400 that has smaller bins?

Since I don't do regional much, are there actually variations in bin size on the Q400?

And I look forward to one day, voyaging on the Embraer 463!
I rely on the safety card in the seat pocket to let me know what plane I'm on.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Horizon Q400

Horison Airlines, sister of Alaska Airlines, still has a sizeable fleet of Q400's for short haul hops all over the Pacific Northwest and into Canada including my home airport YLW. However, no need to gate-check anything. They provide an "al la carte" service. Simply place your items too large for the bins on a cart before boarding. They are placed into the belly and then returned to you on a cart when you deplane. No need to go to baggage claim.

I can't say about Jazz here, never fly them and I detest the hypocrisy of Westjet so I try to avoid them at all cost.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by ridefar
i was told there are 5. I thought they all operated in the West. I could easily be wrong on both counts as the information came from a gate agent.
Originally Posted by jasdou
You may well be right on the number! My info also comes from a GA but I may remember '4' when in fact she said '5'!

That being said, I can confirm they sometime find their way in the East as I have flown on them at least twice in 2017 between YYZ (or was it YUL?) and YQB.
I have flown the Q400 with the smaller bins twice recently YOW-YHZ and return, so they are definitely operating in the East.

Originally Posted by Ew/oQ
Small bin Q400 frequently fly out of YXU. I bought a slighly smaller sized spinner which if inserted just right and smashed in the perfect spot springs the door bin just enough to be successfully inserted. Almost never breaks the door hinge!
I was able to get my hardside carryon into the bin, but it did take some coaxing. Getting it out was... interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.