Lounge access for eUpgrade

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Just had this experience on the last flight of the long weekend.
All ae redemption upgraded with eups plus fee.
At yvr and yyz there was no issue. Got my new bp and presented it at the lounge.
Just now at yeg, prior to ac255, GA at MLL wouldnt print a new BP once my upgrade cleared and also didnt allow me entry.
I gave my aeroplan number and presented my bag tag and altitude card, and still she wouldnt allow entry, saying no access when a flight is aeroplan and euped to J.
I was upset. Just wanted to use the washroom. I was not polite

Bad last ac experience from an otherwise above average weekend in terms of AC service and crew.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The agent was thinking of this perhaps:

Although you will be seated in either Premium Economy or Business Class when your upgrade is confirmed, your booking will remain subject to the fare rules and restrictions of the booking class and fare option you originally purchased. These rules include, but are not limited to, mileage accumulation, change and cancellation fees, access to airport lounges and baggage allowance.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...onditions.html

When I re-read the post, it seems clear a passenger in domestic MLL should have had access as E35K. Maybe agent read the situation too quickly also!)

Last edited by flyquiet; Sep 2, 2019 at 8:24 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:21 pm

Wasnt correct as e35 should let me in regardless. She wouldnt hear that at all. Didnt feel like escalating.

Just more experience to add here. First time this has happened in dozens of times doing this
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Wasnt correct as e35 should let me in regardless. She wouldnt hear that at all. Didnt feel like escalating.

Just more experience to add here. First time this has happened in dozens of times doing this

Right. As an E35, you are allowed in as per this

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

@YVRYEGYVR

I realize it might be moot at this point, but did you get the agent's name?

It's unfortunate you didn't have the chance to show the agent this page.
DNAwizard and codfather like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Just had this experience on the last flight of the long weekend.
All ae redemption upgraded with eups plus fee.
At yvr and yyz there was no issue. Got my new bp and presented it at the lounge.
Just now at yeg, prior to ac255, GA at MLL wouldnt print a new BP once my upgrade cleared and also didnt allow me entry.
I gave my aeroplan number and presented my bag tag and altitude card, and still she wouldnt allow entry, saying no access when a flight is aeroplan and euped to J.
I was upset. Just wanted to use the washroom. I was not polite

Bad last ac experience from an otherwise above average weekend in terms of AC service and crew.
@YVRYEGYVR

Sorry to hear this.
The agent was in the wrong, as you noted that you are allowed access with your status alone and NOTHING else.

There are still craptard MLL agents out there who will use old and outdated rules (or in a way, worse - twist and/or misinterpret them) to deny pax. They even make up rules that have never existed in CIC/ACpedia.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by 24left

@YVRYEGYVR

I realize it might be moot at this point, but did you get the agent's name?

It's unfortunate you didn't have the chance to show the agent this page.
No I didn't, but she was a young woman and I usually find the younger staff are much more customer oriented.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@YVRYEGYVR

Sorry to hear this.
The agent was in the wrong, as you noted that you are allowed access with your status alone and NOTHING else.

There are still craptard MLL agents out there who will use old and outdated rules (or in a way, worse - twist and/or misinterpret them) to deny pax. They even make up rules that have never existed in CIC/ACpedia.
The complete story is that my wife booked this flight on her aeroplan account and my status didn't appear on the in-app BP like it normally does. The issue is that despite giving my number, showing my bagtag and altitude card, she still wouldn't allow access, for some reason adhering to the rule of this thread that technically euped don't get lounge access.

Come to think of it, the conditions state that original fare rules apply- as this is a redemption from a visa infinite privilege associated account, there should be lounge access with an economy redemption, so in every possible way I figure I should have been permitted access

But to the original thread topic, this is the first time for me that MLL agent has refused to print a new BP and grant access after successful eup.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
No I didn't, but she was a young woman and I usually find the younger staff are much more customer oriented.

The complete story is that my wife booked this flight on her aeroplan account and my status didn't appear on the in-app BP like it normally does. The issue is that despite giving my number, showing my bagtag and altitude card, she still wouldn't allow access, for some reason adhering to the rule of this thread that technically euped don't get lounge access.

Come to think of it, the conditions state that original fare rules apply- as this is a redemption from a visa infinite privilege associated account, there should be lounge access with an economy redemption, so in every possible way I figure I should have been permitted access

But to the original thread topic, this is the first time for me that MLL agent has refused to print a new BP and grant access after successful eup.
@YVRYEGYVR

FYI, when you do AC OLCI for your flight on an AP booking made through someone else's account, you can have your AP number switched - it's right there as part of the steps in OLCI that gives you the option.

Alternatively, when checking in with AC, the check-in agent can add your number.

Both options result in your AP number and status showing on the BP.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Please see https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...onditions.html

Under Fare Rules:

Quote:
Fare Rules
Although you will be seated in the Business Class or Premium Economy cabin when your upgrade is confirmed, your booking will remain subject to the fare rules and restrictions of the booking class you originally purchased. These rules include, but are not limited to, mileage accumulation, change and cancellation fees, access to airport lounges, and baggage allowance.
Technically, if you are only AC P25K, you do not have access to any lounge, even if you have been upgraded using eUpgrades. Carry a voucher for the MLL just in case.

It looks like the Fare rules were updated, removed "Lounges Access" in limitation, so it is likely that Lounge access is allowed for eUpgrades

Fare rules for confirmed eUpgrades

Although travellers will be seated in a higher cabin when their eUpgrade is confirmed, their reservation will remain subject to the fare rules and restrictions of the booking class and fare option they originally purchased. These rules include, but are not limited to, accumulation of Aeroplan points or Status Qualifying Credit, change and cancellation fees, and baggage allowance.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vanbc
It looks like the Fare rules were updated, removed "Lounges Access" in limitation, so it is likely that Lounge access is allowed for eUpgrades
Interesting, thanks for noticing the update. It does say "These rules include, but are not limited to" though, so who knows.

But historically, denials were rare even when it was explicitly against the rules.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: this thread has been superseded by 2022 lounge access rules thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.