Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Premium Rouge versus Mainline Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Rouge versus Mainline Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
your parents would get the Polaris lounge in IAH, its really nice.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by YEGcg

Thanks! Fairly certain the UA B763 (2-class) on that route has lie-flat (is “180° recline”, lie flat? It should seem obvious but...). As far as I can see, there’s no AC mainline, so it’s looks to be Rouge or UA. Most/all other options require a 3+ flight itinerary each direction.
I’m flying with my mom to LIM in June. Our options were:
YYZ LIM Rouge Y $1200
YYZ LIM Rouge J $1750
YYZ EWR LIM UA J $1550

Plus a random assortment of 2-4 segment Y flights for around $700, most of which had weird connections or terrible times.

I picked UA J. It’s been upgraded to Polaris so we have Polaris lounge access + Polaris service on-board, as well as lie flats. I also would have had to account for preferred seats on Rouge Y - I’m not flying that far with a 30 inch pitch and that shoulder space.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Friends do not let friends fly Rouge Y, unless budget is super tight.

YEGcg, I'd look at in context of how your parents behave once they land when they travel.
If they research up the cheapest public transportation to get downtown from the airport, and book a hostel or cheapest hotel room they can find, then Rouge Y is the way to go.
If they hop in the airport cab to a decent hotel from their favorite chain, or a reasonably rated and priced boutique independent hotel from booking.com (or similar), then Rouge Premium is a great value-for-$ compromise.
If they upgrade their room type whenever available, and prefer to book a private car to avoid having to deal with airport taxi hassle, then the flat seats they can apparently get via UA J is their best answer.

Since you're trying to help them make the choice, maybe analogies like this (improve at will...) will help them decide.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The analogy fails when you see that Rouge Premium is more expensive than UA J.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by meagicano

I’m flying with my mom to LIM in June. Our options were:
YYZ LIM Rouge Y $1200
YYZ LIM Rouge J $1750
YYZ EWR LIM UA J $1550

Plus a random assortment of 2-4 segment Y flights for around $700, most of which had weird connections or terrible times.

I picked UA J. It’s been upgraded to Polaris so we have Polaris lounge access + Polaris service on-board, as well as lie flats. I also would have had to account for preferred seats on Rouge Y - I’m not flying that far with a 30 inch pitch and that shoulder space.
If I were going on the trip with them, and had the option of UA J for only +$350 over Rouge Y, I’d pick it hands down. However, the price difference between Rouge Y and UA J for them is +$900 (Rouge Y is $900), but Rouge J is only about +$500. I presented all 3 options to them, with the thought that they’d at least pick the middle one...

Originally Posted by montrealer
Friends do not let friends fly Rouge Y, unless budget is super tight.

YEGcg, I'd look at in context of how your parents behave once they land when they travel.
If they research up the cheapest public transportation to get downtown from the airport, and book a hostel or cheapest hotel room they can find, then Rouge Y is the way to go.
If they hop in the airport cab to a decent hotel from their favorite chain, or a reasonably rated and priced boutique independent hotel from booking.com (or similar), then Rouge Premium is a great value-for-$ compromise.
If they upgrade their room type whenever available, and prefer to book a private car to avoid having to deal with airport taxi hassle, then the flat seats they can apparently get via UA J is their best answer.

Since you're trying to help them make the choice, maybe analogies like this (improve at will...) will help them decide.
Thanks! They usually would rent a car — all overseas trips to date have been to Europe — but I think in Lima they would take a taxi. Well, except when they went to Malta (used public transit to get around) and Croatia (walked everywhere except for a car rental for an overnight trip to, ummm, Bosnia?)

I’ll definitely bring up your analogy over the holidays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.