Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yeah...winning best airline in North America is like winning a marathon if everyone else was in wheelchair.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I suppose my only meaningful comparison is UA, with occasional midget J (one apparently long obsolete herring bone J (??)).

And yeah, winning in NA is like winning the special olympics. Or winning a fight on Reddit.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I appreciate the snark and intention, but not comfortable with likening airline ineptitude to disabilities.
The metaphor doesn't even work. Have you even seen how fast the wheelchair marathoners go?
As far as special olympics, with all respect, I don't see the need to drag them into this.
The "quality" of AC and of the competition speaks for itself.
Respectfully,
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I was almost starting to believe it until I got to that award.
at CDG. As they won. And even champagne ! It’s actually quite sweet

Laduree macarons
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The problem is that most Canadian “travelers” couldn’t name another airline if their life depended on it. AC wins by default.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If I am

- not paying
- flying J (paid)
- don't care about arriving on time
- not travelling in bad weather

Then I would pick AC over other NA airlines. For travel within NA.

AC has IFE which I like unlike many, and they feed me on shorter flights (like under 2h). If the only people i have to talk to are priority checkin, MLL guards with a J BP, and a GA I am unlikely to have major issues.
I also don't think any other NA airline offers pods across NA which could be a deciding factor, although there are obviously risks there too. I don't know if a flat pod beats a UA J seat, for a <5h flight with an extra cushion (and $300 comp).
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jc94
I also don't think any other NA airline offers pods across NA which could be a deciding factor,
Literally all of them. Just not in Canada
jasdou and jc94 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jc94;31219059.
I also don't think any other NA airline offers pods across NA which could be a deciding factor
Westjet does YYC-YYZ on their new 787.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
[QUOTE=jc94;31219059]

.....and they feed me on shorter flights (like under 2h).

I find that amusing. Not. Feed you WHAT? My last 2 flights in J YYC-YVR both at dinner time consisted of one flight with NOTHING, NADA, ZERO food and the other offered a bag of pretzels..... I guess that is the result of a duopoly especially when u see what you get fed on shorthauls around Europe (with lotsa competition.)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Literally all of them. Just not in Canada
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Westjet does YYC-YYZ on their new 787.
[QUOTE=TheOnlyWayTo Fly;31219471]

.....and they feed me on shorter flights (like under 2h).

I find that amusing. Not. Feed you WHAT? My last 2 flights in J YYC-YVR both at dinner time consisted of one flight with NOTHING, NADA, ZERO food and the other offered a bag of pretzels..... I guess that is the result of a duopoly especially when u see what you get fed on shorthauls around Europe (with lotsa competition.)
Well there we go, I never knew haha.

I can't speak to YYC YVR (especially in J) recently. I've certainly been fed a sandwich or cold plate on things like YYZ EWR and YYZ ORD etc... I think I even got something YYZ LGA though the return when it finally left about 11pm was a kit kat.
But yes, I've gotten better and hot meals on shorter flights around the EU in Y. But given this thread is about the top airline in NA .. I thought I'd focus on my NA experiences. Where my non AC flights in J have been UA and AA and not especially inspiring food of IFE wise - because something beats nothing.

Now, YYC YVR appears to offer "Inspired cuisine, selected wines and spirits" in J (yes including P) and either breakfast or later on "Snack". If they failed to deliver that, I'd suggest writing in. The only AC flight in J where I didn't get fed were the above mentioned LGA YYZ delayed flight. I'm sure there are others with far more experience, or possible some very short flights that actually have a J cabin (ie: not YXU YYZ, YYJ YVR etc...), but in my very limited experience, AC does a better job than other NA airlines in feeding their customers on shorter flights. They also charge a premium etc.. though.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If I am

- not paying
- flying J (paid)
- don't care about arriving on time
- not travelling in bad weather

Then I would pick AC over other NA airlines. For travel within NA.

AC has IFE which I like unlike many, and they feed me on shorter flights (like under 2h). If the only people i have to talk to are priority checkin, MLL guards with a J BP, and a GA I am unlikely to have major issues.
I also don't think any other NA airline offers pods across NA which could be a deciding factor, although there are obviously risks there too. I don't know if a flat pod beats a UA J seat, for a <5h flight with an extra cushion (and $300 comp).
Jet Blue. Mint Class. Wins hands down IMO. Especially for F&B. Give them a try, they can be surprisingly affordable. I once did BOS-SFO (LAX?) in Mint for about $600. I am not knocking AC nor saying your summary is way off; just saying there are a couple others worth trying. I have to to try UA or DL with their lie flat transcon options.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC also won for "Best Call Centre agents who deny R0Z9 eUpgrades on full transcon Y fares in North America, six years running!"
D582 and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Rouge has also risen from #131 to #99

Go Rouge!

Also,
AIRLINE PROMOTION
Airlines were able to invite customers to participate in the survey on a strictly voluntary basis

Did AC send out "invitations"?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Jet Blue. Mint Class. Wins hands down IMO. Especially for F&B. Give them a try, they can be surprisingly affordable. I once did BOS-SFO (LAX?) in Mint for about $600. I am not knocking AC nor saying your summary is way off; just saying there are a couple others worth trying. I have to to try UA or DL with their lie flat transcon options.
Worth bearing in mind thanks. I tend to just fly UA J/F if available. Though have also booked via UA (016) and pick the AC flight at half the price AC wanted before too.
So in that case I was paying (UA), but was in J, arriving on time wasn't a major concern, and neither was the weather

AC's main advantage continues to be a lack of alternatives. And their reach any number of planes is definitely an advantage. But top airline?
I mean, it's a bit like me saying "I came 1st in a competition today" when there were none (or one) other people competing.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Did they win anything for on-time performance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.