Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ridefar
. So it is total bs.
Can anyone one claim with a straight face that SkyTrax ratings are not? (apart from ailrine marketing)
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar

I doubt they are that dumb. It is possible however.

More importantly it is pretty obvious that almost nobody is properly qualified to respond. How many people fly many airlines frequently enough to form an opinion with sufficient evidence to be valid (ie not “I flew airline A once and they sucked because blah blah blah”) but not so frequently as to have top tier status on only one of the airlines (not me — I am SE but don’t fly DL and UA and BR 20 times a year) which would inevitably skew their perceptions too and hopefully significantly. If I, as an SE, don’t have a lot better experience than a FOTSG something isn’t kosher in Denmark. Or how many people achieve top tier across many airlines? If you aren’t a member of one of those two groups you can’t really submit a valid response. So it is total bs.
Without getting into specifics (best left for another thread), there is a US legacy I've flown enough to have had multiple experiences with downgrades from paid J. I don't fly them enough to earn status. Nowhere near as much as AC. But I consistently have the same extremely negative experience on them, and I've never had that problem on AC (in fact, the only downgrade that wasn't quickly rectified was a CRA->DH4 downgauge). So I feel like I could have an opinion on certain aspects of certain airlines.

But if you ask me which of AC WS AA DL UA WN B6 etc is best, I'm going to have a problem. I've flown 4 of those 7 in the past 2 years, but my segment count is single-digits in that time frame on 3 of those 4.

So yes, I agree. These polls are meaningless.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Without getting into specifics (best left for another thread), there is a US legacy I've flown enough to have had multiple experiences with downgrades from paid J. I don't fly them enough to earn status. Nowhere near as much as AC. But I consistently have the same extremely negative experience on them, and I've never had that problem on AC (in fact, the only downgrade that wasn't quickly rectified was a CRA->DH4 downgauge). So I feel like I could have an opinion on certain aspects of certain airlines.
It's arguable, but IMHO comparing highest status (SE/VIP) to non/mid-status paid J are not the same thing.
But yeah, I've never given these surveys/awards stuff much thought.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
It's arguable, but IMHO comparing highest status (SE/VIP) to non/mid-status paid J are not the same thing.
But yeah, I've never given these surveys/awards stuff much thought.
That's getting into almost-impossible territory though. There are not that many people with top status on multiple airlines.

I have a friend who loved DL. He said it was way better than UA or AA. But he'd never flown either of those. He just "knew" it was better.

And I suspect most people who answer these surveys have that kind of mindset.

And that's way worse than me giving me opinion on AC v DL or AA v UA. I'm not a FF on most of those, but I've at least flown them all multiple times.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver
If there is one thing with AC it is there very variable level of CS service from one airport to next. I can see how people living near AC hubs might think highly of AC, but routinely connecting through these hubs - particularly YYZ- is often a nightmare. ... and AC irrop recovery is terrible: overall the airline is certainly not #1 in my book. They *do* have much better sched. than WJ (and its partners) but they are redeploying the Q400s and trading for larger but less frequent Rouge flights so we’ll have to see if this is overall positive.

In my experience - with DL, UA, KL, AF, LH and WJ - the US-based carriers are actually not that bad. Certainly I’ve witnessed US-based CS reps going out of their way to solve problems, whereas AC CS often have a “no can’t do” attitude, which I suspect comes from the management rulebook rather than personal desire to be unhelpful. The fiasco of the overloaded phone system doesn’t help either.

AC does seem to treat its top tier members very well, so at least there’s that.

WJ recently started to announce they are the #1 airline in Canada according to TripAdvisor. This only goes to show that WJ flyers hang around TripAdvisor more than AC flyers do.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Can anyone one claim with a straight face that SkyTrax ratings are not? (apart from ailrine marketing)
They're one of the best third-party endorsements you can buy
rankourabu and smallmj like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AC 75K
Get ready for some really long inflight announcements. AC won 5 Skytrax awards today:

Best Airline in North America
World's Best Business Class Lounge Dining
Best Business Class in North America
Best Airline Staff in Canada
Best Airline Cabin Cleanliness in North America

Overall ranked at 31, down 1 spot from 30.

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/a...-winners-2019/
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I'd still like to know why Rouge continues to be "NOT RATED" - for a while, it was rating pending.
I guess they dont hand out 0*?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Which airline is best?
canadiancow and smallmj like this.

Last edited by Sopwith; Jun 18, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Well, you create enough categories, you are always going to have a winner. It is the new snowflake era, everyone gets a ribbon

To be serious, AC Business Class Hard Product is superior for North America, staff are pretty good when not dealing with a B team!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
When the competition are carriers like American, United, Spirit, Frontier etc., it's easier to look good.
I am still in shock over TG being rated 10th best in the world.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Best Airline Cabin Cleanliness in North America
I was almost starting to believe it until I got to that award.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Note that AC did *not* win the "Best inflated J class seat" award.
D582, Symmetre, flyquiet and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

I'm excited to try Polaris dinner in 11 days so I can compare to SS and make my own dining decision.

Polaris certainly has better breakfast food.
D582 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Let's try again: which airline is best?

canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.